Gransnet forums

News & politics

Missing people and the Police

(64 Posts)
62Granny Tue 07-Mar-23 12:45:54

We have had an incident in our area over the weekend , where 5 young people (20s& 30) had gone missing on a night out and no contact by any of them had been made since the early hours of Saturday morning, the family reported them missing later on Saturday but once again the Police dismissed their concerns saying they were young and "partying" and would come home when ready even going as far as to tell one of the mothers to stop phoning. Unfortunately they were found to have had a car accident with the car leaving the road and going in some undergrowth but this wasn't found until early hours of Monday morning by which time 3 had died. Why are the Police ignoring families concerns these days? I really feel they are not looking after the public anymore and I have family who are in the Police. So sad for the parentsšŸ’šŸ’”

Germanshepherdsmum Tue 07-Mar-23 12:50:32

I guess the likelihood of five young people together having gone missing is pretty remote, to be fair to the police.

Smileless2012 Tue 07-Mar-23 12:54:35

Terrible tragedy and TBH I'm not sure how I feel about this. As a parent in the same situation I'd be worried but I can understand with there being 5, aged between 20 and 30 and no reports of an accident, the police's response.

rubysong Tue 07-Mar-23 13:12:34

I think the police response is understandable, given the age of the young people concerned and all sign of the accident was hidden by trees.

Delila Tue 07-Mar-23 13:15:35

Five young people going missing together should have rung very loud alarm bells.

Oldbat1 Tue 07-Mar-23 13:23:21

Sad sad situation. Similar happened in Scotland a few years ago after a car went off dual carriageway and young couple were not found for a few days - Iā€™m sure the inquest found both were alive for a day or so. Police must receive numerous such calls about missing people but where/when should they respond. I hope the two still alive recover.

Katie59 Tue 07-Mar-23 13:31:38

Having driven some of those roads around the south Wales valleys itā€™s easy to run off the road into forest land and be invisible. If the route they were taking was not known finding would be a needle in a haystack.

There are now systems being developed where if a car crashes it automatically alerts emergency services with location. Iā€™m not sure if any are active in the UK, I seem to remember it was linked to a new EU navigation system, anyone else have any more information on that.

ExperiencedNotOld Tue 07-Mar-23 13:34:50

Yes, Iā€™m sure an Apple Watch is able to ring the emergency services.

Riverwalk Tue 07-Mar-23 13:38:38

Germanshepherdsmum

I guess the likelihood of five young people together having gone missing is pretty remote, to be fair to the police.

I'm puzzled by 'to be fair to the police'.

The likelihood is indeed pretty remote, bearing in mind young peoples propensity for social media/phone usage, and I would have thought an immediate search would have been initiated.

I'm not one to criticise the police as a first reaction but FIVE people must be unique and should have raised alarm bells.

Fleurpepper Tue 07-Mar-23 13:39:49

Katie59

Having driven some of those roads around the south Wales valleys itā€™s easy to run off the road into forest land and be invisible. If the route they were taking was not known finding would be a needle in a haystack.

There are now systems being developed where if a car crashes it automatically alerts emergency services with location. Iā€™m not sure if any are active in the UK, I seem to remember it was linked to a new EU navigation system, anyone else have any more information on that.

The mother of one of the passengers, now fighting for her life in hospital, said she drove past several times and didn't see the car. Yes, a needle in a haystack.

tanith Tue 07-Mar-23 13:40:37

The accident was on the A48 a main road so very unfortunate that the car was hidden by a dip and trees. I really donā€™t think the police are at fault the car was only spotted by helicopter. One of the girls Mums said she drove past it herself and saw nothing.
Itā€™s a terrible accident I do hope the two who survived recover.

Theexwife Tue 07-Mar-23 13:44:09

Even if the police had taken their disappearance seriously, where would they have looked? Thousands of cars drove past the spot where the car went off the road and did not spot it.

A tragic accident, sometimes there is no one to blame.

Casdon Tue 07-Mar-23 13:49:57

Katie59

This terrible accident wasnā€™t in the woods in the valleys though, it was just outside Cardiff and only a few metres from the road. Hereā€™s a picture, it was in the trees behind the green fence. Iā€™m not sure the police can be blamed, thousands of cars pass that route daily, it was a case of hiding in plain sight unfortunately. This type of incident does happen, a few years ago a manā€™s body was in his car on a major roundabout for a week before he was found, and I read about a body being found in a car in a canal where the driver had disappeared twenty years before. Car tracking systems that send out a signal when crashed are a godsend for the future. In the meantime, Iā€™m sure all of us are thinking of the families of those poor young people.

maddyone Tue 07-Mar-23 13:49:58

Delila

Five young people going missing together should have rung very loud alarm bells.

Yes it should.

62Granny Tue 07-Mar-23 15:15:39

Katie59

No the road was not one in the valley one but quite near houses and a roundabout with what looked like CCTV up on the poles , what I can't understand is that they tracked them to a seaside resort they knew that had been to they must have been on on the M4, then why they couldn't track the return journey.

LadyGracie Tue 07-Mar-23 15:31:16

It's a road we use regularly and it's understandable how the many hundreds of cars passing did not notice anything, it's on a sliproad which drops to 30 before reaching the roundabout, so not a fast road.
So sad for the families concerned.

Germanshepherdsmum Tue 07-Mar-23 17:05:47

Riverwalk

Germanshepherdsmum

The likelihood is indeed pretty remote, bearing in mind young peoples propensity for social media/phone usage, and I would have thought an immediate search would have been initiated.

I'm not one to criticise the police as a first reaction but FIVE people must be unique and should have raised alarm bells.

What I meant was that five young people are more likely to have decided to go and find some fun together rather than harm having come to them.

Yammy Tue 07-Mar-23 17:44:46

A few years ago in Hull, a car of young people hit a tree on an urban road with houses on both sides during the night. The youngsters in the car were found the next morning when people were out and about all unfortunately dead.
The noise of the impact was presumed not to have been loud enough to alert people who were asleep. A great tragedy for their families and non were from far away.

MerylStreep Tue 07-Mar-23 17:54:34

This young man went out looking. He saw the tyre tracks going over the roundabout. Then he found the car.

www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-11831023/Man-best-friend-dead-Cardiff-car-crash-slams-police-missed-wreckage.html

VioletSky Tue 07-Mar-23 18:02:50

I wouldn't expect 5 young people to literally go dark... not contacting friends, family or updating social media... not all 5 for at the same moment.

I think this is a tragedy that should have been taken very seriously from the beginning and I truly hope none of those young people died or could die from wounds that could have been treated if found earlier

Family should be heard, they know their relatives, we can't just have a model of a person to work around or a model of a situation... investigate concerns

It terrifies me, this could be my own child one day and if I wasn't heard I'd be losing my mind

Wyllow3 Tue 07-Mar-23 18:13:31

I don't think we can blame the police.

None of the young people were on any kind of vulnerable register: they were all fit, well, capable: I too would make the assumption that it was too early for an all out search so very early on as in above post because

"What I meant was that five young people are more likely to have decided to go and find some fun together rather than harm having come to them."

Why do we always look for someone to "Blame"? this was an awful, tragic, accident: its sheer chance the accident was concealed from a really well used road.

Looking earlier would not have made any difference to the outcome. Yes, in an ideal world there would have been extensive earlier searches, but on a Friday night we know all too well from police stats what the police are engaged in of a night - call outs for serious crime or domestics or city centre drinking bout and aggression resulting from the alcohol, or the huge number of sad people with MH problems or found in other kinds of distress -

they just cant cover them all at the moment.

V3ra Tue 07-Mar-23 18:20:22

There are now systems being developed where if a car crashes it automatically alerts emergency services with location. Iā€™m not sure if any are active in the UK, I seem to remember it was linked to a new EU navigation system, anyone else have any more information on that

There was an accident near here a few years ago.
One of the cars involved had this built in and alerted the emergency services when the driver didn't respond.

On a personal level, and more accessible to us as individuals, my Google Pixel phone also has this feature.
It's in the Settings under "Safety and Emergency."
Worth checking your own?

Callistemon21 Tue 07-Mar-23 18:23:16

Yes, it is a very tragic story, three young people dead (did they die on impact or could they have been saved?) and two more fighting for their lives in hospital.

They had been on quite a journey, at a nightclub in Newport, then down to Porthcawl then back to the other side of Cardiff again.
So I can understand the police might not have known where to start looking but they should have taken this more seriously; the time lapse was quite significant.

It was obvious it was unusual for them to go missing as parents were phoning the police, worried that their children had not returned home ot been in touch.

Callistemon21 Tue 07-Mar-23 18:30:02

Germanshepherdsmum

Riverwalk

Germanshepherdsmum

What I meant was that five young people are more likely to have decided to go and find some fun together rather than harm having come to them.

But surely they'd be posting what they were doing on Facebook, Instagram or other social media sites.

I'm sure at least one or two of them, if not all, would have been in touch with their families too.

ExperiencedNotOld Tue 07-Mar-23 18:31:44

Wyllow3 - a very reasonable post. The police are swamped with the detritus of grubby lives. You canā€™t blame them.