Gransnet forums

News & politics

Is the EHCR the new Brexit?

(34 Posts)
Whitewavemark2 Wed 08-Mar-23 10:35:43

A question being asked because of this

MayBee70 Wed 08-Mar-23 14:59:26

He’ll do whatever the ERG tell him to do.

MayBee70 Wed 08-Mar-23 15:00:44

….or Tufton Street…

Maudi Wed 08-Mar-23 16:37:56

The ECHR isn't the new Brexit but The Conservative Stop The Boats versus Labour's Open Borders certainly will be at the next election especially in the fight for the Red Wall Seats.

Casdon Wed 08-Mar-23 17:08:14

Maudi

The ECHR isn't the new Brexit but The Conservative Stop The Boats versus Labour's Open Borders certainly will be at the next election especially in the fight for the Red Wall Seats.

You have no idea what the remit of the ECHR is Maudi, that much is clear. Or for that matter, any idea what Labour’s stance on migrants will be when they are in power.

vegansrock Wed 08-Mar-23 17:17:52

When have Labour ( as opposed to the Tories) said they are in favour of open borders?

Maudi Wed 08-Mar-23 17:22:35

Have you never heard of Google 😊I know all about the ECHR thank you. Labour have got to win a general election first and with their Open Borders stance I don't think they ever will.

fancythat Wed 08-Mar-23 18:05:59

vegansrock

When have Labour ( as opposed to the Tories) said they are in favour of open borders?

What is the current Labour Party stance?

Weirdly I can only find things written about it from many months ago.

MaizieD Wed 08-Mar-23 18:52:21

Maudi

Have you never heard of Google 😊I know all about the ECHR thank you. Labour have got to win a general election first and with their Open Borders stance I don't think they ever will.

You're just parroting politicians again, Maudi. There is no way that Labour has an open border stance.

But Sunak kept saying that they did at PMQs today, so it must be true, mustn't it? He even dredged up 'freedom of movement', a concept which he appears not to understand as it has nothing to do with refugees.

As far as I'm, aware, the Labour stance is get that processing moving and deal with the backlog, then we can return the unsuccessful applicants a good deal faster than is happening today. Together with pursuing the traffickers rather than demonising the refugees.

Unless there are considerably more racists and xenophobes in the UK than there have been in the past I think that Labour will still win the next GE.