Gransnet forums

News & politics

What the Tories really think of the UK populace

(38 Posts)
GagaJo Thu 09-Mar-23 21:02:09

Similar to another thread, so apologies for those that are sick of the topic.

But, given that the Tories are utilising extreme right wing rhetoric to describe immigrants and policies around them, surely this shows exactly what the Conservative party thinks will play well for them, in the beginings of a run-up to an election? Which means that they think the British are selfish, xenophobic and yes, probably racist. And that they're happy to play up to that as part of the 'do whatever it takes to increase their popularity again'.

Please note, I am not saying that the British are these things. Just that the Tories feel that taking this stace will get them elected because that is how they see us.

Deedaa Thu 09-Mar-23 21:09:22

I can only think that they are picking up some of the really disgusting comments that are made on line and deciding that it represents "The Will Of The People"

Siope Thu 09-Mar-23 21:14:36

I think they believe enough people are like that to win in a first past the post system. I’m not sure, sadly, that they are wrong.

Also, of course, they recognise that keeping a confected culture war high on the agenda goes a long way to convincing people there is a crisis (even when there isn’t) that they would tackle effectively, if only all these others would let them.

M0nica Thu 09-Mar-23 21:43:26

I think that they are taking the reasonable concerns of many British people and hyping them up then toxifying them.

The number of people coming over to this country in small boats is actually not enormous, Under 50,000 last year, but I am sure that if you were to go out into a busy town centre and do a vox pop, lots of shoppers would give figures in the 100s of thousands, if not more.In other words they make a good focus point to draw fire from the government, which simply does not have an overall coherent or effective immigration policy.

Things like providing proper housing, processing people and then getting them into jobs as soon as possible to meet the labour crisis. Find ways to improve conditions in the countries they come from or find temporary refuge for them nearer to their homes.

Ilovecheese Thu 09-Mar-23 21:43:40

Keir Starmer doesn't seem to think very differently to the Tories.

ronib Fri 10-Mar-23 05:40:45

2022 saw net migration of 504,000 people into the UK.
I don’t have a problem with this. I do have a problem with the fact that the UK is struggling to provide adequate services to house, provide medical care etc for the present population as it stands.

growstuff Fri 10-Mar-23 06:06:46

ronib

I don’t have a problem with this. I do have a problem with the fact that the UK is struggling to provide adequate services to house, provide medical care etc for the present population as it stands.

But nearly all of them came to the UK through regular channels. The UK has total control over such immigrants, especially since leaving the EU.

What do the 450,000+ immigrants with visas have to do with the relatively small number crossing the Channel on leaky boats?

If the government wanted to reduce net immigration for all the reasons mentioned, all it has to do is change the quotas, which it could do very easily.

vegansrock Fri 10-Mar-23 06:25:23

I seethe whenever Suellla Braverman says “this is what the British people want”- well I’m one of the British people, no one has asked me, and I don’t want this.

Whitewavemark2 Fri 10-Mar-23 07:16:19

Apparently the ECHR is no longer compatible with British values. - according to Braverman.

I wonder what those values now are and how and when they changed so radically.

Whitewavemark2 Fri 10-Mar-23 07:28:51

ECHR

Just to remind ourselves and decide which if these no longer “fit” our values.

1. We have an obligation to respect human rights.

2. We have a right to life.

3. We prohibit torture

4. We prohibit slavery and forced labour.

5. We believe in the right to liberty and se unity.

6. We believe that everyone has a right to a fair trial.

7. We believe that there should be no punishment without law.

8. We believe in the right to respect privacy and family life.

9. We believe to freedom of thought, conscience and religion.

10.we believe in the freedom of thought.

12. We believe in the right to marry.

11. We believe in the freedom of assembly and association.

13. We believe in the right to effective remedy.

14. We believe in the prohibition of discrimination.

15 I reckon that this article may be used by braverman we believe in the derogation in times of emergency.

GagaJo Fri 10-Mar-23 07:32:29

vegansrock

I seethe whenever Suellla Braverman says “this is what the British people want”- well I’m one of the British people, no one has asked me, and I don’t want this.

I stand with you vegansrock.

Quokka Fri 10-Mar-23 07:45:18

The OP is correct. The Tories are desperate to win the next election so this is what they think will appeal to the electorate. And it will - to a certain segment.

They can always rely on a their basic supporters - the likes of those who voted for Liz Truss! 😳 But they were in danger of losing others who gave them such a resounding victory in 2019. Those who function at the 3-word sound-bite level ie Get Brexit Done, Oven-Ready Deal, etc..

It’s these types that they want to win back, hence the Stop the Boats slogan.

MaizieD Fri 10-Mar-23 08:12:59

GagaJo

vegansrock

Don't stand alone, I'm joining you.

Grammaretto Fri 10-Mar-23 08:29:32

I thought exactly the same as vegansrock when I heard this was the will of the British people.

My opinion of GLinekar has gone up since he spoke out too.

The vocabulary used about the poor people arriving in small boats degrades them and dehumanises them which is chilling for any of us who know what happened in 1930s Germany.

I gave a home to a Sudanese student in the 1980s who applied for and achieved asylum here. It was hard enough then so it must be so much worse now.

westendgirl Fri 10-Mar-23 08:29:43

No one asked me either. I stand with you vegansrock .

Where did Braverman get her ideas ?It wasn't at her school .I have a friend who worked there and is adamant that she definitely didn't get these ideas from school.

Siope Fri 10-Mar-23 08:52:34

ronib

Just for accuracy, since we’re talking about how the government uses statistics emotively. I believe that is a provisional figure from a 2022 ONS report, which says:

"A series of world events have impacted international migration patterns in the 12 months to June 2022. Taken together these were unprecedented. These include the end of lockdown restrictions in the UK, the first full period following transition from the EU, the war in Ukraine, the resettlement of Afghans and the new visa route for Hong Kong British nationals (Overseas), which have all contributed to the record levels of long-term immigration we have seen."

growstuff Fri 10-Mar-23 09:04:03

Quokka

The OP is correct. The Tories are desperate to win the next election so this is what they think will appeal to the electorate. And it will - to a certain segment.

They can always rely on a their basic supporters - the likes of those who voted for Liz Truss! 😳 But they were in danger of losing others who gave them such a resounding victory in 2019. Those who function at the 3-word sound-bite level ie Get Brexit Done, Oven-Ready Deal, etc..

It’s these types that they want to win back, hence the Stop the Boats slogan.

I think that's true. It seems many asylum seekers have been housed in deprived areas, which isn't surprising because that's where the spare capacity is. Many of these areas are "red wall" and were a target for UKIP before they backed down from competing against Tories. I think the rhetoric and stoking the flames of a culture war is quite deliberate. They know the current plans won't work, but they'll be able to claim they tried and it was the "blob" of lefties who stopped them.

The Tories can't fight an election on their record on the economy, the NHS, public services, the environment, but there are people with a range of different voting histories who will vote with them on cultural issues, even if they shoot themselves in the foot economically. They learnt that from Cummings and the referendum.

There are local elections in many areas in May - it will be interesting to see how the parties approach them. I suspect we're going to see a number of independent "Stop the boats" kind of parties.

Whitewavemark2 Fri 10-Mar-23 09:07:10

Wonder if the polls have shifted since the “stop the boats” hysteria?

Whitewavemark2 Fri 10-Mar-23 09:13:22

Just had a quick look and so far, the “ little boats” have made zero difference to the polls. Labour are still 20+ points ahead. But I guess there is time if they keep flogging the dead cat.

growstuff Fri 10-Mar-23 09:13:55

Whitewavemark2

Wonder if the polls have shifted since the “stop the boats” hysteria?

The important issue is where they've shifted. It doesn't really matter if 100% of people in London, Liverpool or Manchester vote Labour because the majority of seats in those areas are held by Labour anyway. The important ones are the former "red wall" Labour seats. They need to see that Labour can really offer them something.

GrannyGravy13 Fri 10-Mar-23 09:14:47

MaizieD

GagaJo

vegansrock

Don't stand alone, I'm joining you.

As a lifelong Conservative, can I stand with you also?

growstuff Fri 10-Mar-23 09:16:35

Whitewavemark2

Just had a quick look and so far, the “ little boats” have made zero difference to the polls. Labour are still 20+ points ahead. But I guess there is time if they keep flogging the dead cat.

The local elections will provide a litmus test of opinions in real world scenarios.

GrannyGravy13 Fri 10-Mar-23 09:17:45

Whitewavemark2

I think there must be a lot of Conservative voters like me Whitewavemark2

I cannot vote for them unless there is a major policy shift along with some fresh prospective MP’s

Have no idea who will be the Labour Candidate in my constituency, but have fingers crossed that a very strong local independent councillor will stand, if they do they stand a reasonable chance.

growstuff Fri 10-Mar-23 09:19:53

You'd be very welcome GG13.

I've only ever voted Labour once in my life. I suspect my seat is still safe Conservative, so my vote won't count, but if Labour look like it has any chance of ousting my MP, I'll vote for them.

I certainly don't want to be included in the group the government claims is the "people".

growstuff Fri 10-Mar-23 09:23:59

I actually know a decent Conservative MP. She was a pupil at a school where I taught. Unless she's undergone a radical change of thought, she's strong on human rights. I've noticed she's made a couple of speeches in the HoC attacking some of the dinosaurs in her own party, but has gone very quiet recently. She's still quite young and I'm hoping there are more like her waiting in the wings somewhere.