Gransnet forums

News & politics

What the Tories really think of the UK populace

(39 Posts)
GagaJo Thu 09-Mar-23 21:02:09

Similar to another thread, so apologies for those that are sick of the topic.

But, given that the Tories are utilising extreme right wing rhetoric to describe immigrants and policies around them, surely this shows exactly what the Conservative party thinks will play well for them, in the beginings of a run-up to an election? Which means that they think the British are selfish, xenophobic and yes, probably racist. And that they're happy to play up to that as part of the 'do whatever it takes to increase their popularity again'.

Please note, I am not saying that the British are these things. Just that the Tories feel that taking this stace will get them elected because that is how they see us.

Whitewavemark2 Fri 10-Mar-23 09:28:01

Braverman is using the term “people” as a construct in my opinion to suggest a community of patriotic folk. Everyone else by definition “not loyal/patriotic” and a traitor.

J52 Fri 10-Mar-23 09:54:14

vegansrock

I seethe whenever Suellla Braverman says “this is what the British people want”- well I’m one of the British people, no one has asked me, and I don’t want this.

I agree with you. I have notice this type of rhetoric used more and more frequently.

GagaJo Fri 10-Mar-23 09:54:44

Whitewavemark2

Braverman is using the term “people” as a construct in my opinion to suggest a community of patriotic folk. Everyone else by definition “not loyal/patriotic” and a traitor.

The irony of a child of immigrants whipping up hate towards immigrants and implying that those that aren't hostile to refugees are traitorous...

BlueBelle Fri 10-Mar-23 10:06:26

Vegansrock I seethe when the vile braverman even breaths air on the tv before she opens her mouth
She is a hypocrite of the worst kind ‘I m here let’s shut the door firmly so no one else gets a chance at life’

I d happily swap 1000 refugees (however they arrive) with 1000 of our long term prisoners or the arxxx running the county lines or rapists or child abusers

I cannot bear what the Tories have done to the country and turned average people into haters because of fear and wrong information passed to the press to enhance and rev up the ordinary folk into believing we are being overrun

I so remember Enoch Powell although I was young

Whitewavemark2 Fri 10-Mar-23 10:48:21

It isn’t just pitting us - the people- against those seeking asylum, but the people v lawyers, people v “the blob” people v those speaking truth to power (traitors)

And so forth

Grantanow Fri 10-Mar-23 12:52:37

Braverman does not speak for me! It's a stunt to get the racists and anti-immigrants voting Tory. I was appalled when the Tory grassroots voted for Truss. Everything Sunak predicted came to pass as a result of her mismanagement. Imho they voted her in because they didn't want a person of colour as Tory leader and PM.

Katie59 Fri 10-Mar-23 13:05:45

I know what the local Tories think of the working classes because I have waitressed at fund raising events, their attitude to staff is appalling. It was so bad that the venue refused to accept further bookings, the behavior of the leadership in recent years is very similar, voters are sheep, who believe whatever the media tell them.

Blinko Fri 10-Mar-23 13:19:05

Lineker is correct in that this was how Jewish ppl were ‘othered’ in 1930s Germany. It didn’t start with concentration camps and gas chambers….

So I too am with vegansrock and others on this.

Braverman does not speak for me.

GagaJo Fri 10-Mar-23 14:53:25

Katie59

I know what the local Tories think of the working classes because I have waitressed at fund raising events, their attitude to staff is appalling. It was so bad that the venue refused to accept further bookings, the behavior of the leadership in recent years is very similar, voters are sheep, who believe whatever the media tell them.

Couldn't agree more. I don't understand why some media consumers don't question what they read at times.

AGAA4 Fri 10-Mar-23 16:25:43

Braverman is stirring up hatred towards immigrants and it may work with some people. It isn't working with me and hopefully most will see through the motives behind this.

Fleurpepper Fri 10-Mar-23 16:32:39

It did work with large swathes of the German and Austrian population- no difference! The same people... 90 years later.

Whitewavemark2 Fri 10-Mar-23 16:38:52

The hatred isn’t working yet

Lab: 50% (+5)
🔵 Con: 26% (NC)
🟠 LD: 7% (-4)
🟡 SNP: 4% (NC)
⚪ Ref: 6% (NC)
🟢 Green: 5% (-1)

Soroptimum Fri 10-Mar-23 16:40:00

MaizieD

GagaJo

vegansrock

I seethe whenever Suellla Braverman says “this is what the British people want”- well I’m one of the British people, no one has asked me, and I don’t want this.

I stand with you vegansrock.

Don't stand alone, I'm joining you.

And me!