Gransnet forums

News & politics

NI and DUP

(31 Posts)
Whitewavemark2 Mon 20-Mar-23 13:17:33

The DUP is going to vote against Sunak’s proposal on Wednesday.

They have absolutely no intention of either settling the NI protocol or playing second fiddle to the leadership in Stormont.

Farzanah Wed 22-Mar-23 12:13:56

I like what Steve Baker, a NI minister, is reported as saying in the Guardian, that Johnson risked being remembered as “a pound-shop Nigel Farage” for voting against the plan.

winterwhite Wed 22-Mar-23 12:19:41

Wonderful, Farzanah. Guardian has good interview with Michel Barnier today on what a difference mutual goodwill with GB is making to the EU.

Fleurpepper Wed 22-Mar-23 12:29:15

Farzanah

I like what Steve Baker, a NI minister, is reported as saying in the Guardian, that Johnson risked being remembered as “a pound-shop Nigel Farage” for voting against the plan.

Just amazing to watch- Baker, head of ERG, used to be Johnson's biggest fan! Wow.

HousePlantQueen Wed 22-Mar-23 13:00:05

Whitewavemark2

This is the list so far of those hoping to bring on more chaos.

I think Sunak should make it a 3 line whip and threatened to take the whip away from any not supporting the government.

Johnson
Duncan Smith
Truss
Patel
Francois
Rees Mogg
Duddridge
Jones
Jenkyns
Bone

well, going by that list, I hope that Sunak does what Johnson did to those not supporting him ie remove the whip if they don't vote as he wishes. I would be dancing in the streets if this crowd lost the whip. Peter Bone is a silly old fart fool who regularily appears on our local politics programme on a Sunday morning, he lives in an alternative universe to the rest of us.

Grantanow Sun 26-Mar-23 15:58:11

grumppa

The whip should certainly be withdrawn from former PMs who got us into this mess, and indeed my own MP, Ian Dimwit Smith.

Very good! Couldn't have said it better myself.