Gransnet forums

News & politics

Johnson and Trump

(88 Posts)
Whitewavemark2 Tue 21-Mar-23 12:02:36

We all know that the privileges committee is to interview Johnson on Wednesday, and I find it very alarming that, just like Trump and his supporters, Johnson and his supporters are trying to undermine the democratic process of the privileges committee claiming that it is Labour lead.

Not true of course, - yes Harriet Harmon a parliamentary grandee and Labour is chairing the committee, but it is actually weighted in the Tories favour.

HousePlantQueen Tue 21-Mar-23 21:33:04

Johnson as a liar I can understand; it is what he is and always has been. What I can't understand is those who defend and support him. There is an interesting clip on twitter of Connor Burns excusing and defending Johnson; one of the other guests on the show (Sky news I think) told Burns to stop demeaning himself by supporting Johnson who certainly would not reciprocate. He throws friends and allies under the bus without a backward glance. The same panellist described Johnson as a liar, saying he had no fear of slander or defamation charges as it was accepted that Johnson was a liar.

MayBee70 Tue 21-Mar-23 22:26:32

What worries me is that if it goes to a vote in parliament I’m pretty sure that my MP would support Johnson no matter how damning the evidence against him is. She was one of the ones in tears when he left Downing Street.

LizzieDrip Wed 22-Mar-23 08:57:30

If this was a court of law it would be rendered invalid as HH has repeatedly on record stated that in her opinion BJ has lied, so not impartial as the Chairperson should be.

The issue for the privileges committee isn’t whether, in anyone’s opinion, Johnson lied or not. It is clear to the nation that he HAS lied on many, many occasions across many years. Surely that issue is not in question. The privileges committee has to decide if he ‘knowingly’ lied in the House of Commons. The problem with Johnson is that, I think, he believes his own lies so the committee has a difficult brief.

foxie48 Wed 22-Mar-23 09:24:35

And this is a man who was our Prime Minister! It is utterly beyond me that anyone with half a brain could support him. He is completely unprincipled with a moral compass which always points to whatever is advantageous to Boris regardless of what is "right". He should resign from his seat and disappear under a stone!

Whitewavemark2 Wed 22-Mar-23 09:55:27

Don’t be surprised to discover that Johnson does better than you expected at todays hearing.

First he’s got - at tax payers expense of course- the best lawyers money can buy

Secondly - Johnson has had all his life practicing at getting out of being found out that he is lying etc. He performs at his best when his back is against the wall.

That does not mean that it is not true that he mis-lead/lied to parliament - but that he will put up a good fight.

It simply means that the privileges committee must be very focused.

Whitewavemark2 Wed 22-Mar-23 10:15:13

Love the way the BBC presenter suggested that Johnson would lose his livelihood if he loses his seat as a result of the decision😄😄

He is never there! And would notice no difference. This with the fact that his income from other sources far exceeds his parliamentary income.

MaizieD Wed 22-Mar-23 10:39:03

Love the way the BBC presenter suggested that Johnson would lose his livelihood if he loses his seat as a result of the decision😄😄

It could be fairly true, Wwmk2. After all, who is going to subsidise, or lend enormous sums of money to, a failed PM/MP with declining political influence?

MayBee70 Wed 22-Mar-23 12:28:46

He’ll still be able to do his lucrative speeches. Even Liz Truss is making a fortune on the speech circuit. I assume they both still get the huge PM pension that Thatcher negotiated plus police protection for life? If Johnson didn’t have that shock of blond hair that makes him look like a chubby toddler I’m sure he would never have got away with the things that he has. His physical appearance hides how ruthless he actually is although I have seen the mask slip on several occasions. I hope it slips this afternoon.

Fleurpepper Wed 22-Mar-23 12:30:31

It's dem big boys what made me do it Guvnor!

From Andrew Marr, hardly a Guardian reading, tofu eating wokerati

www.lbc.co.uk/news/andrew-marr-decodes-boris-johnson-partygate-defence/

HousePlantQueen Wed 22-Mar-23 12:52:07

According to Dr Phil Hammond on twitter, the Johnson defence is

I was in charge of making the rules, and demonstrated I understood them fully by communicating them to the public in all seriousness on multiple occasions. However, I genuinely misunderstood how the rules applied to me personally.

MayBee70 Wed 22-Mar-23 13:50:22

Watching parliament today it dawned on me that the governments we’ve had over the past 12 + years just consist of warring factions pursuing their own personal agenda, none of which have been in the best interest of the country and it’s people.

Iam64 Wed 22-Mar-23 15:40:30

I’m watching Johnson give lengthy responses to any questions
He’s shameless and a very skilled liar

Coconut Thu 23-Mar-23 12:08:44

BJ has basically told the whole country that saying goodbye to a work colleague is far more important than us phlebs saying goodbye to loved ones, while they died alone. He is saying that his office staff need a moral boost (to work in an office 🤔) while hospital staff dealt with the dying on a daily basis, and they got a clap. Why didn’t he clap his own staff ? It’s total and utter nonsense, is it a form of mental issues ? When people are so deluded by their own self worth, after a life time of being pampered and spoilt, they are so out of touch with reality. His attitude stinks of “ how dare you challenge me”, that’s why he gets angry and defensive. Of course he didn’t knowingly mislead parliament because in his head, under the thatch, he truly believes he is always right and can make excuses for all his bad behaviour all thro his life, and get away with it.I’ve said many times that education is no substitute for basic common sense and this applies to so many at No:10. Judge Rinder once said to Stanley J, you would have had to put the PM to bed with no supper when he was a naughty boy ….. then he added “ in my opinion, you didn’t do it often enough” how true is that ?

nipsmum Thu 23-Mar-23 13:35:20

How much money is being spent on proving he lied. No doubt ,far too much.

Maremia Thu 23-Mar-23 14:01:45

Now that we have watched the actual 'performance' what do we think? A big bad boy told me it was okay to party?
If he operates at the level of intellectual competence, that he claimed for himself yesterday, then surely that makes him ineligible for public office?
Yesterday was Sunak's day. Only 20 MPs, the ERG? rebelled. A massive yes for his NI Bill. Virtually all of the Opposition voting with him.
Then his tax returns were published.
Before that he said the Tory MP's would not be whipped on the up coming 'Johnson' vote.
Maybe it will be Johnson thrown under the big red bus?

Scottiebear Thu 23-Mar-23 14:15:09

In my opinion partygate would never have become an issue if these meetings had taken place with tea/coffee/water. I think a lot of us general public would have accepted groups of staff from various offices needed to get together at times for work reasons. But what Boris doesn't seem to realise is that for most working people alcohol in the workplace is a complete no go, though I understand it does happen in some professional city offices. But the introduction of alcohol says 'party'. I worked in the NHS and alcohol wasn't allowed under any circumstances. And during covid many canteens, staff rooms etc were closed even when people returned to work. And my son and his colleagues were thanked for their hard work via zoom. I think Boris lives in an ivory tower and has no idea of the world most of us live in. I'm convinced he thinks he's done no wrong. Not someone to be running our country.

GrannyGravy13 Thu 23-Mar-23 14:18:40

Can I respectfully point out that not everyone who works for the NHS was a saint and obeyed all of the Covid guidelines.

I live next door to a couple who are both nurses, their house was party central for every lockdown.

Mamie Thu 23-Mar-23 14:26:54

GrannyGravy13

Can I respectfully point out that not everyone who works for the NHS was a saint and obeyed all of the Covid guidelines.

I live next door to a couple who are both nurses, their house was party central for every lockdown.

Not the point though is it. If you make the rules that tell other people how to behave then you have to carry them out yourself to the highest possible standard.
It is absolutely clear that the rules on distancing were not carried out and to say "but we didn't share pens and we had hand sanitiser" is just pathetic.
They were unecessary gatherings that broke the rules and there is no way that Johnson could have been unaware.

Scottiebear Thu 23-Mar-23 14:28:17

GrannyGravy13. People from all walks of life flaunted the rules in their own homes. Workplaces were a different issue. I should add, I wasn't a nurse.

Gundy Thu 23-Mar-23 15:21:04

Seems as though Johnson and Trump are brothers by different mothers.

Liars and slippery eels (as someone mentioned) who have evaded prosecution or accountability. They only worship at the altar of one - themselves. I need to read up more on Johnson’s latest, but the media here is reporting it (whatever “it” is) may be the end of his political career and aspirations.

We don’t need this type of Trumpian scourge tearing away at democracy.
Peace!
USA Gundy

Scottiebear Thu 23-Mar-23 15:58:03

Mamie. Agree totally with you. Any other walk of work life the buck stops at the top. He shouldn't have needed the advice of others. He should have known the rules back to front. Didn't think he came off very well in the grilling. But suspect he will get away with it.

Zoe65 Thu 23-Mar-23 18:49:54

Of course tugenhat would say that .he’s an avid remainer .

Iam64 Thu 23-Mar-23 19:36:50

GrannyGravy 13, just because your neighbours broke the rules doesn’t excuse Johnson for presiding over alcohol central. Drinking at work, in public service, is a thing of the past.
My neighbours who work in health, social care, police, fire service etc all obeyed the guidance,
The image of Her Majesty sitting alone at her husbands’s funeral should shame him and others

MaizieD Thu 23-Mar-23 19:54:28

Zoe65

Of course tugenhat would say that .he’s an avid remainer .

What on earth does being 'an avid remainer' have to do with Tugendhat saying that Johnson is a liar.

He just spoke the truth. Johnson is a liar. He has been sacked for lying in the past. He lies continually and unashamedly.

Quokka Thu 23-Mar-23 21:49:37

He’s a liar and a cad.