Gransnet forums

News & politics

Leeds's Victorian bear pit in Headingley set to reopen to public.

(100 Posts)
ixion Sun 26-Mar-23 10:28:18

www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-leeds-65066000

As a 'curiosity'(sic), at a cost of c.£100.000

Am I alone in finding this in remarkably poor taste?

Maggiemaybe Mon 27-Mar-23 00:13:27

There hasn’t been a bear at the Headingley bearpit since 1848, nanna8.

Maggiemaybe Mon 27-Mar-23 00:15:30

Why do you think it’s a “rotten thing”? I’m genuinely curious.

nanna8 Mon 27-Mar-23 07:29:50

I must have had a memory of my auntie describing the bears. I always was very imaginative as a child. To me I associate it with cruelty and bear baiting, and people gawking at a proud and unfortunate animal. Awful . I don’t like zoos much, either.

JaneJudge Mon 27-Mar-23 07:29:57

DaisyAnne

Are you a Mrs Angry? I didn't check; the comment was general

The "tree thing" will have two sides to it. I just wonder how, without the knowledge of both, anyone make a decision about what happened?

I don’t understand why you hAve singled me out, can you explain?

nanna8 Mon 27-Mar-23 07:33:15

DaisyAnne, JaneJudge is most definitely not a Mrs. Angry. She is a valued member who has a mind of her own.

Fleurpepper Mon 27-Mar-23 08:15:01

nanna8

I must have had a memory of my auntie describing the bears. I always was very imaginative as a child. To me I associate it with cruelty and bear baiting, and people gawking at a proud and unfortunate animal. Awful . I don’t like zoos much, either.

So do I. But I think it is best to face those old demons, and explain to children what happened in the past- rather than pretend it didn't. Same with other things, on a different level, like slavery.

Don't hide, don't pretend, and explain best you can.

nanna8 Mon 27-Mar-23 08:20:47

Fair comment, Fleur.

Callistemon21 Mon 27-Mar-23 10:15:19

nanna8

DaisyAnne, JaneJudge is most definitely not a Mrs. Angry. She is a valued member who has a mind of her own.

It's me, I think, getting angry upset about trees being chopped down to make a concrete recreational space for humans.

Tree felling is all rather a raw subject at the moment.

#MrsAngry

Callistemon21 Mon 27-Mar-23 10:22:17

Fleurpepper

nanna8

So do I. But I think it is best to face those old demons, and explain to children what happened in the past- rather than pretend it didn't. Same with other things, on a different level, like slavery.

Don't hide, don't pretend, and explain best you can.

I agree.

We cannot learn from history if we sanitise it or pretend it didn't happen.

However, just to clarify - this is what happens in the name of regeneration or, as some may term it, vandalism:

Fleurpepper Mon 27-Mar-23 10:57:21

Talking about the bear pit here- not tree vandalism. I have cried many times when witnessing beloved trees being cut- many times. It affects me very deeply.

MaizieD Mon 27-Mar-23 12:04:52

Fleurpepper

Talking about the bear pit here- not tree vandalism. I have cried many times when witnessing beloved trees being cut- many times. It affects me very deeply.

There is a connection; the original article mentions the need to remove some overgrown trees, which provoked a few adverse comments on here.

However, removing a few scrubby, trees for the project in no way compares to the dreadful vandalism shown in Callistemon's photos; or the appalling destruction a few years ago of many of Sheffield's lovely street trees.

nanna8 Mon 27-Mar-23 12:04:52

Thought I was the only one. We had to have a very large tree (silky oak) felled last week and I was sad all day. Thinking of the birds that loved the tall tree, the possums and all the living things . My husband thought I was nuts!

DaisyAnne Mon 27-Mar-23 17:39:13

JaneJudge

DaisyAnne

Are you a Mrs Angry? I didn't check; the comment was general

The "tree thing" will have two sides to it. I just wonder how, without the knowledge of both, anyone make a decision about what happened?

I don’t understand why you hAve singled me out, can you explain?

Very self-obsessed comment. I replied to the question you asked me to tell you my previous comment was general. It was written as a generalisation.

Would you like me to stop replying to you when you ask me a question?

Grantanow Mon 27-Mar-23 17:51:33

I can't see what tree felling has to do with restoring a bear pit (which I still think is a waste of money whether public or charitable funds(.

Callistemon21 Mon 27-Mar-23 17:59:03

Grantanow

I can't see what tree felling has to do with restoring a bear pit (which I still think is a waste of money whether public or charitable funds(.

Trees will be felled in the regeneration.

I just re-read the article- it's not going to become a public space, visitors will be able to climb the turrets and gaze down into the pit containing a bear sculpture.

JaneJudge Mon 27-Mar-23 18:37:19

Do whatever you feel comfortable with. I’m not self obsessed 😂

JaneJudge Mon 27-Mar-23 18:40:06

That was to daisy Anne, it hasn’t posted the quote. I don’t know why you get off on being so rude to people btw. You sound more angry than anyone else (and that’s an observation not a personal attack so there is no need to PM again)

Greyduster Mon 27-Mar-23 19:37:37

We have an original Victorian bear pit in Sheffield’s Botanical Gardens. It houses a bronze sculpture of a standing brown bear and he’s very popular with both children and adults. In the nineteenth century there were two bears housed in it, but purely as a curiosity. However, the public complained that the bears, not much given to activity, were boring, and that their stench and noise wasn't in keeping with the gardens, and an 1856 meeting suggested the bear pit be converted into a vinery.

GrannyRose15 Mon 27-Mar-23 20:11:03

I loved the bear pit as a child. It was indeed a curiosity and there was nothing to say what it’s true history was so my imagination had free rein. I’m really pleased it is to be restored and that the people of Leeds will be able to learn about its history.

DaisyAnne Mon 27-Mar-23 20:34:20

JaneJudge

That was to daisy Anne, it hasn’t posted the quote. I don’t know why you get off on being so rude to people btw. You sound more angry than anyone else (and that’s an observation not a personal attack so there is no need to PM again)

That is a personal attack. How can it be anything else? It personal - you say I am a) rude and b) angry and it is only aimed at me.

DaisyAnne Mon 27-Mar-23 20:36:56

JaneJudge

I have not sent you a PM. I haven't sent any PMs. Please do not set such lying scenarios up or I will report you.

JaneJudge Mon 27-Mar-23 21:12:38

You have sent me a pm daidysnne, it is unfortunate you have forgotten

JaneJudge Mon 27-Mar-23 21:14:50

I blocked you from sending them btw after the last one

Oreo Mon 27-Mar-23 22:17:39

Maggiemaybe

I’ve just checked out the Leeds+ Facebook page and the reaction from Headingley locals seems to be positive on the whole. Plenty of people are saying how good it will be to have this dilapidated site cleaned up at long last and brought into community use.

There are others who think the appalling bear baiting that wasn’t actually carried out there shouldn’t be celebrated.

Some who feel so strongly about zoos being cruel that they don’t want this one to be remembered in any way - a valid opinion of course, but I can’t help wondering why they don’t campaign to have existing zoos closed, instead of fretting about this very small, short-lived one that closed down in the Victorian era. Apart from the bear, it only had a pair of swans, birds of prey, tortoises and “some monkeys”. No wonder it didn’t last long!

Some who want the money spent on filling in potholes, oblivious to the fact that it’s the Leeds Civic Trust charity’s money, not Leeds Council’s.

And a special few who are up in arms because they’ve understood that real live bears are going to be brought back to be put on public display in the Headingley bear pit and that would be so cruel. It takes all sorts. smile

Love it! 😂

DaisyAnne Mon 27-Mar-23 22:32:06

JaneJudge

You have sent me a pm daidysnne, it is unfortunate you have forgotten

Today? I have not sent anyone a PM. If you are talking about sometime in the past I wouldn't have expected that to lead to a continuing correspondence. How ridiculous you are being simply because I answered a question you asked. You now seem to be suggesting I sent something untoward in a PM in the past. I have never done that, to anyone, ever. Stop trying to paint a simple reply as something it isn't.

People were shouting the odds about something it appears they had not found the facts on - just for the sake of having an opinion. Angry people. Suggesting they were the Mrs Angry's, (something even a small child would understand) was hardly a threat to life and limb.

I have not no idea why you have picked an argument with me for no obvious reason but I suggest you find an empty room somewhere. You could obviously have an argument in that too.