Gransnet forums

News & politics

Boris Johnson referred to the police for suspected further breaches of lockdown regulations.

(224 Posts)
MaizieD Tue 23-May-23 21:59:09

This story has been covered by several sources, but I think this Peston tweet explains it quite succinctly

Just to explain, because the Cabinet Office is paying Boris Johnson's multi-hundred-thousand-pound legal bills, it is technically the client in his defence against the privileges cttee. His lawyers are therefore obliged to submit all material they obtain to the CabOff. Its officials saw diary entries that suggested maybe Covid laws were broken at Chequers events hosted by the then PM. If this was a possible breach of the law, official were obliged under the civil service code to pass info to the police for investigation. It had no choice or discretion in doing this. Its actions were not politically motivated, but were obligatory under the code. It's now for the police to assess whether the law was broken. Johnson's supporters will see this as the "revenge of the blob", but officials - the blob - deny this

twitter.com/Peston/status/1661061779743555598

Dickens Sun 28-May-23 10:10:42

MayBee70

Oreo

LizzieDrip

They may have cared if it had come out at the time but not now.

I disagree Oreo. Those people who lost loved ones and couldn’t sit with them, hold their hands etc will never forget. I, for one, feel empathy with those people, and I believe that many others do too. Because something happened a couple of years ago does not excuse it - those in power; those making the rules, must be held accountable for their actions.

Oh I feel empathy alright and think the rules were far too severe. I have no empathy for Boris Johnson but he has paid in full for not obeying the rules his government set.He could still be PM if he hadn’t lied and been found out.

As it is he’s just travelling the world earning a fortune ( when he should be working for his constituents) and buying three million pound mansions. Poor him….my heart bleeds. Just remind me someone how many parliamentary votes he’s missed. I believe it’s almost two hundred??

As it is he’s just travelling the world earning a fortune ( when he should be working for his constituents) and buying three million pound mansions. Poor him….my heart bleeds. Just remind me someone how many parliamentary votes he’s missed. I believe it’s almost two hundred??

Yet there are still those - dwindling in number I assume - who think that he had the nation's interests at heart when he rode into battle in full "get Brexit done" mode. And would like to see him make a come-back!

Does anyone still really believe that Brexit was anything other than a means-to-an-end for this man - isn't it obvious by now that he is simply pursuing personal ambition?

A 'glorious' end for Johnson in his £million x whatever mansion-with-moat where he can continue to tour-and-waffle and possibly concentrate on his memoirs (will there be a book deal shortly?) whilst his party are left to pick up the pieces and generally fight among themselves.

Truss is swanning around trying to revive her career in Washington's Heritage Foundation - another Conservative think-tank; having a dig at Macron, and trying to convince those that will listen that she was the victim of a political conspiracy. Not to mention her visit to Taiwan!

Now poor Sunak is attempting to run with both hare and hounds and mostly ending up on the fence.

... every nation gets the government it deserves hmm

Siope Sun 28-May-23 10:41:18

Dickens why ‘poor Sunak’? He was - and remains - in positions of power and influence throughout all of this, and was/is either happy to collude, or too ineffective to prevent, the past and present messes.

Casdon Sun 28-May-23 10:47:59

Chris Bryant, Chair of the Parliamentary Standards Committee summed it up perfectly on Sophy Ridge show this morning.:
"It is true that sometimes Boris Johnson finds himself innocent in the court of his own opinion."

MayBee70 Sun 28-May-23 12:24:42

Siope

Dickens why ‘poor Sunak’? He was - and remains - in positions of power and influence throughout all of this, and was/is either happy to collude, or too ineffective to prevent, the past and present messes.

I don’t think as an oxymoron, it wasn’t meant literally….

Whitewavemark2 Sun 28-May-23 13:25:29

We are now being treated to the unedifying spectacle of the cabinet office attempting to refuse papers/information to be seen by the head of the Covid Enquiry - Heather Hallett.

Hallett has warned that if ministers fail to comply with her request they could face criminal prosecution and possible imprisonment.

What have they to hide?

I reckon sheer bleedin’ chaos.

Dickens Sun 28-May-23 23:16:28

Siope

I was being facetious.

nanna8 Mon 29-May-23 14:00:52

Haven’t they got anything better to do there? Like running the country?

Aveline Mon 29-May-23 14:03:24

I agree nanna8. Putin must be laughing at us.

MaizieD Mon 29-May-23 16:25:00

nanna8

Haven’t they got anything better to do there? Like running the country?

As they aren't really running the country, unless you count sewage in rivers and on beaches, a crumbling criminal justice system, the NHS falling apart, education losing teachers hand over fist, more and more people using food banks, more and more people struggling to pay rent and mortgages because interest rates keep on rising, as government successes.

What have they actually achieved in 13 years?

MaizieD Mon 29-May-23 16:36:40

If Johnson had murdered one person 10 years ago and new evidence pointed straight to him, you'd be baying for his blood.

As it is, by his negligence he contributed significantly to the deaths of 250,000 people and partied while doing so.

And people think he should get away with it?

I think not...

ronib Mon 29-May-23 16:44:13

MaizieD from which angle are you approaching the 250000 deaths? Is it because lockdowns weren’t introduced early enough? Or the emptying of the elderly from hospitals?Or that Covid vaccines weren’t given? Or that they were? Or that the government didn’t have a workable pandemic plan?

MaizieD Mon 29-May-23 17:08:19

Goodness, ronib it was a whole series of missteps, some of it going back to the failure of previous tory governments to implement the recommendations for action based on previous pandemic exercises.

But when Covid loomed Johnson was leading the country and the buck stops with him. We all know that he took the threat far less seriously than any other responsible leader would and failed to act in a timely fashion. Any one who thinks he could be excused is deluded...

And don't forget that covid is still with us and still killing a least a jumbo jet full of people a week.

ronib Mon 29-May-23 17:21:12

MaizieD I thought that the Uk was one of the leaders in approving and developing the vaccines?
It’s odd that you are happy to blame Boris Johnson but omit to confront the people who actually produced the virus and let it escape to cause world wide destruction.

MayBee70 Mon 29-May-23 18:09:13

Attempts to lay blame at China seem to have failed. I don’t think anyone excuses their part in all this. But the fact is it was obvious that something bad was happening in China ( I was monitoring the situation because my grandson was going on a school trip to China) early in 2020 and the government did nothing. Even when Italy were begging us to take note of what was happening in their country Johnson did nothing: too busy with Brexit and sorting out his divorce. Everything he did was too little, too late. And every time he was accused of this he defected it as a criticism of the NHS. If I was aware that a crisis was looming why wasn’t the PM of this country?

MaizieD Mon 29-May-23 21:02:58

ronib

MaizieD I thought that the Uk was one of the leaders in approving and developing the vaccines?
It’s odd that you are happy to blame Boris Johnson but omit to confront the people who actually produced the virus and let it escape to cause world wide destruction.

Aaah, but the vaccines were a very visible manifestation of oneupmanship. something to boast about as 'world beating'.

Excessive numbers of deaths was not so important. 'Let the bodies pile high', remember?

ronib Mon 29-May-23 21:15:03

MaizieD bodies piled high … said Dominic Cummings. In any event the third lockdown went ahead.
Don’t forget how very ill Boris Johnson had been with Covid …. It was an exceptionally difficult and devastating situation for anyone to have handled. Wonder if the jibes will ever stop?

MaizieD Mon 29-May-23 21:22:50

Don’t forget how very ill Boris Johnson had been with Covid …

That's a load of utter rubbish. He wasn't very ill at all.

ronib Mon 29-May-23 21:26:39

What evidence either way MaizieD? I do remember a photo of BJ looking less than well.

Primrose53 Mon 29-May-23 21:52:20

ronib

What evidence either way MaizieD? I do remember a photo of BJ looking less than well.

He looked absolutely dreadful when he came out of hospital. I understand he was very ill indeed.

MayBee70 Mon 29-May-23 23:58:33

Didn’t they have to stop him seeing The Queen when he had covid because he didn’t take it seriously?

growstuff Tue 30-May-23 00:00:36

I look dreadful quite a lot of the time, but I've never had Covid.

ronib Tue 30-May-23 05:06:44

growstuff you are lucky not to have had Covid. We’ve had it twice. Wonder if you have been vaccinated?

growstuff Tue 30-May-23 06:07:07

ronib

growstuff you are lucky not to have had Covid. We’ve had it twice. Wonder if you have been vaccinated?

Yes, I have. I've had all the vaccinations I was offered. Five, I think.

Whitewavemark2 Tue 30-May-23 06:22:02

ronib

If you had had covid, you would know that Johnson was no more “ill” than everyone else.

Deaths door and all that was propaganda.

ronib Tue 30-May-23 06:38:58

Jenny McGee lead intensive nurse at the icu said Boris looked very very unwell. Etc.