Gransnet forums

News & politics

Any Gnetters at the Rejoin march today in London

(236 Posts)
Fleurpepper Sat 23-Sep-23 15:05:02

oh I wish I was there. Looks like a great crowd. The BBC will say there were a handful, of course.

StacyAnna Tue 26-Sep-23 12:56:38

Europe has been hugely strengthened by Brexit- and it is clear that the UK is in a massively bad way. I know you can't, or won't see it - and we will have to agree to disagree

We will have to agree to disagree with you, because you don’t live here

Oreo Tue 26-Sep-23 13:00:13

There seems to be an anti Brexit thread started by the same poster roughly once a month😄
The same old sentiments trotted out.
The OP is not aware that other EU countries aren’t doing all that well at the moment and dwells on dubious opinions about the state of things here in the UK.If you need serious treatment then the NHS is here for you tho it’s not as good as it was for lesser things.It’s not dirty or litter filled where I am either.I can’t begin to imagine why the OP is so determined to say that things are bad here.confused

Fleurpepper Tue 26-Sep-23 13:14:29

StacyAnna

^Europe has been hugely strengthened by Brexit- and it is clear that the UK is in a massively bad way. I know you can't, or won't see it - and we will have to agree to disagree^

We will have to agree to disagree with you, because *you don’t live here*

Totally irrelevant- as totally dependent on UK pensions in Sterling- and with ACs, GCs, family and friends very much affected too.

Aveline Tue 26-Sep-23 13:26:11

You're right Oreo. Same old whine over and over. Not sure why the state of other European countries hasn't impinged. Ah well. There's always next month's anti Brexit thread to look forward to!grin

MaizieD Tue 26-Sep-23 13:26:17

Migration Watch according to Migration Watch:

Migration Watch UK is an independent and non-political body established in October 2001. Our purposes are to; monitor migration flows to and from the UK, provide to the press and public the most accurate, available information, in a comprehensible form, provide balanced comment, identify policy options for consideration by government.

Migration Watch according to Wikipedia:

^Migration Watch UK is a British think-tank and campaign group which argues for lower immigration into the United Kingdom. [10] [11] [12] Founded in 2001, the group believes that international migration places undue demand on limited resources and that the current level of immigration is not sustainable

I'd prefer the University of Oxford Migration Observatory. It has less of a bias.

Maybee's Lawyer's figures appear to be wrong but they are still high prior to Bexit.

According to government figures since 2005.

In 2005 there were 28,409 'returns'. Rising to a peak of 46,544 in 2013. Numbers declined to 19,772 in 2019 and have fallen sharply to 9,508 in 2021 (the last available figure).

migrationobservatory.ox.ac.uk/resources/briefings/deportation-and-voluntary-departure-from-the-uk/

So, big drop since Brexit... hmm

MerylStreep Tue 26-Sep-23 13:44:01

their fury cleared me up no end
But you will never know the joy that a mass of us felt on that glorious morning. The rabbit in the headlights look on David Dimblebys face was something to behold.
As for none of us engaging in the argument: it’s boring

Fleurpepper Tue 26-Sep-23 14:25:11

MerylStreep

^their fury cleared me up no end^
But you will never know the joy that a mass of us felt on that glorious morning. The rabbit in the headlights look on David Dimblebys face was something to behold.
As for none of us engaging in the argument: *it’s boring*

Iam so glad you enjoyed it. But we all know that the price was not worth paying, just to see DD's face.

Most have realised now what a huge mistake it was, and we are all severely affected, whether we voted for it or not, whether we have joined the 62%, or the don't knows, or the very few who still think it was a great idea. Our GCs of course, are the ones who will be most affected, and yes, I do care. And I/we are seriously affected by it too, even if we don't live in UK- in fact, even more so because we don't. Returning was always our plan once we had done the job we came here to do (look after my elderly parents' - Brexit and this Government now make this a very bad prospect, sadly. I have said it before, and I know you don't believe me, and that is your prerogative, but I have loved the UK I lived in, for 40 years, and gave it my all- same as OH- since I was a teenager until I retired early at same time as oH:

Which is why indeed Aveline, the subject will come back again and again- whether your head is stuck in the sand or in huge denial. It certainly is NOT boring.

What a gorgeous day it is.

Callistemon21 Tue 26-Sep-23 14:34:06

Fleurpepper

StacyAnna

Europe has been hugely strengthened by Brexit- and it is clear that the UK is in a massively bad way. I know you can't, or won't see it - and we will have to agree to disagree

We will have to agree to disagree with you, because *you don’t live here*

Totally irrelevant- as totally dependent on UK pensions in Sterling- and with ACs, GCs, family and friends very much affected too.

I'm sorry your family has been so badly affected by Brexit.

I have family members who were worried at first about their jobs because some funding came from the EU but, so far, their fears were unfounded and they are busier than ever.

Dickens Tue 26-Sep-23 16:20:26

Why do those who find the subject "boring" join a thread which, by the very nature of its title, is bound to cover the subject?

MayBee70 Tue 26-Sep-23 16:33:21

MaizieD

Migration Watch according to Migration Watch:

Migration Watch UK is an independent and non-political body established in October 2001. Our purposes are to; monitor migration flows to and from the UK, provide to the press and public the most accurate, available information, in a comprehensible form, provide balanced comment, identify policy options for consideration by government.

Migration Watch according to Wikipedia:

^Migration Watch UK is a British think-tank and campaign group which argues for lower immigration into the United Kingdom. [10] [11] [12] Founded in 2001, the group believes that international migration places undue demand on limited resources and that the current level of immigration is not sustainable

I'd prefer the University of Oxford Migration Observatory. It has less of a bias.

Maybee's Lawyer's figures appear to be wrong but they are still high prior to Bexit.

According to government figures since 2005.

In 2005 there were 28,409 'returns'. Rising to a peak of 46,544 in 2013. Numbers declined to 19,772 in 2019 and have fallen sharply to 9,508 in 2021 (the last available figure).

migrationobservatory.ox.ac.uk/resources/briefings/deportation-and-voluntary-departure-from-the-uk/

So, big drop since Brexit... hmm

Thanks Maisie. Just did some Googling and a Guardian article from 2021 said the we were no longer part of the Dublin agreement and did not, due to Brexit, have a deal in place to return people to EU countries. ( still can’t cut and paste some things). He definitely said 60,000 because we both heard it but didn’t hear what the timescale was.