Gransnet forums

News & politics

Any Gnetters at the Rejoin march today in London

(236 Posts)
Fleurpepper Sat 23-Sep-23 15:05:02

oh I wish I was there. Looks like a great crowd. The BBC will say there were a handful, of course.

MaizieD Tue 26-Sep-23 07:42:14

Katie59

“Why should freedom of movement be a sticking point? “

Seriously Maisie if you think Freedom of Movement is not going to be contentious you are on a different planet.

It’s not an issue for me, but loosing control of our borders is going to be a major issue in any rejoin campaign

'Freedom of movement" and 'control of our borders' are not the same issue. They were conflated for the Leave campaign to trade on xenophobia. I have to say it worked brilliantly,

CoolCoco's comment is pertinent..

MerylStreep Tue 26-Sep-23 08:00:45

even if it’s in free fall
If the pound is in in free fall then the other 9 members of the G10 must be up the creek without a paddle

fancythat Tue 26-Sep-23 08:42:03

MayBee70

Callistemon21

fancythat

Quite apart from any comments made on this thread, surely it is possible to accurately measure how many people are on marches? All marches?
Any march at all?
It really cannot be beyond humankind to be able to do that?

Maybe I am missing something?

No, it seems no-one on the thread went to the march to be able to provide an accurate number.

I can ask the people I know who did go on the march for a guesstimate if you want to know.

All in all, it doesnt sound like a very large number. So thanks anyway.

Katie59 Tue 26-Sep-23 08:43:27

MerylStreep

^even if it’s in free fall^
If the pound is in in free fall then the other 9 members of the G10 must be up the creek without a paddle

Not in free fall although it’s not great, currently although it has recovered somewhat from the Truss debacle one wrong move could see it slump, that would add to inflation.

fancythat Tue 26-Sep-23 08:46:26

Dickens

fancythat

Quite apart from any comments made on this thread, surely it is possible to accurately measure how many people are on marches? All marches?
Any march at all?
It really cannot be beyond humankind to be able to do that?

Maybe I am missing something?

www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-12879582

I don't think it's easy to be entirely accurate.

Interesting link. Thanks.
I am more seeing now how it is quite tricky.
And when it cant even decided how many people per sqaure metre or something, then..
The difference between even 3.5 or 4 is a matter of 15% or something.

Never having been on any march, I thought people could go through a turnstile or something, or pick up a ticket somewhere.
I suppose they could, but life doesnt really work like that.

MayBee70 Tue 26-Sep-23 10:28:43

From what I’ve heard The Guardian said it was 3,000 people but those on the march said it felt like much more.

Callistemon21 Tue 26-Sep-23 10:29:55

Only at football matches and big concerts, fancythat!
But that would be ticket only.

Callistemon21 Tue 26-Sep-23 10:35:48

MayBee70

From what I’ve heard The Guardian said it was 3,000 people but those on the march said it felt like much more.

I think more than one group of protesters met (not by choice).

This is a tongue-in-cheek report:
www.spectator.co.uk/article/what-happened-when-the-bully-xl-protesters-met-the-rejoiners/

Katie59 Tue 26-Sep-23 10:50:41

Callistemon21

MayBee70

I think more than one group of protesters met (not by choice).

This is a tongue-in-cheek report:
www.spectator.co.uk/article/what-happened-when-the-bully-xl-protesters-met-the-rejoiners/

I did like this description of agressive dog owners

The Bully XL crowd, on the other hand, were frankly terrifying, and exactly the type you’d expect would enjoy the cultivation and company of super aggressive hell hounds. They were overwhelmingly male and, let’s try not be rude, somewhat unrefined. (The day before, in Wolverhampton, one of these canine fans was savaged when asking of a fellow walking weapon enthusiast ‘shouldn’t you put that on a lead?’)

Callistemon21 Tue 26-Sep-23 11:01:30

Thank goodness they decided not to take their dogs with them.

Even with a group of Yorkshire terriers it could have been mayhem!

Fleurpepper Tue 26-Sep-23 11:04:29

From the European, a great article- here is the end

'Time was that there were Brexit supporters who could argue, mistakenly in my view, that Brexit would benefit Britain and increase opportunities. They had their reasons and were willing to defend them.

Seven years on, it seems those Brexit supporters have gone very quiet indeed, leaving just an angry rump shouting, alternately, “but we still have freedom of movement!” and “freedom of movement was only ever for the rich – try Australia instead!”

Their fury cheered me up no end. Imagine what will happen when they realise, or their children do, that neither is true!'

Aveline Tue 26-Sep-23 11:10:21

Clue in the title of the reference

Fleurpepper Tue 26-Sep-23 11:12:38

Yes indeed. And?

Callistemon21 Tue 26-Sep-23 11:14:29

Aveline

Clue in the title of the reference

And that, combined with the relatively small number at the protest march, rather proves the point that most people, however they voted, have moved on in seven years and are hoping for some rapprochement in future.

Aveline Tue 26-Sep-23 11:15:09

Have just moved on as has been said repeatedly on here

MayBee70 Tue 26-Sep-23 11:16:39

The was a lawyer on tv just now who said that we used to send 60,000 illegal migrants back to other countries each year but now it’s 3,000 because someone forgot to negotiate the return to other countries deal that had been in place prior to Brexit. Apologies if I’ve got the facts wrong but I just caught the last part of the interview on Sky News just now. Why aren’t things like this publicised more?

Fleurpepper Tue 26-Sep-23 11:17:59

Moved on to what? Denial? Head in sand?

Democracy means that you move on to improve and change things.

MayBee70 Tue 26-Sep-23 11:37:42

We’ve just gone backwards.

Aveline Tue 26-Sep-23 11:41:56

Democracy means the will of the people. Life has moved on. Other challenges have arisen. Europe is in a bad way.

Fleurpepper Tue 26-Sep-23 11:57:43

The will of the people is that 62% now want to rejoin, and most of the rest are 'don't knows' - only a tiny percentage now think Brexit was a good idea. The will of the people is that many who voted for it have now died, and large numbers who had not vote, do have one now.

Europe has been hugely strengthened by Brexit- and it is clear that the UK is in a massively bad way. I know you can't, or won't see it - and we will have to agree to disagree.

Rosie51 Tue 26-Sep-23 12:11:34

Fleurpepper Europe has been hugely strengthened by Brexit

I voted remain and wish we'd never left, but in what way has Europe been strengthened by Brexit? You're saying Brexit was the best thing for the rest of Europe?

The 62% that now want to rejoin, do they not want to know the conditions for rejoining, or are they willing to accept absolutely any conditions the rest of the members wish to enforce?

Aveline Tue 26-Sep-23 12:14:04

Who are this mysterious 62% ?

Fleurpepper Tue 26-Sep-23 12:18:03

Rosie51

Fleurpepper Europe has been hugely strengthened by Brexit

I voted remain and wish we'd never left, but in what way has Europe been strengthened by Brexit? You're saying Brexit was the best thing for the rest of Europe?

The 62% that now want to rejoin, do they not want to know the conditions for rejoining, or are they willing to accept absolutely any conditions the rest of the members wish to enforce?

No Rosie- Europe would be much better still with the UK- it was in everyone's interest to stick together.

The EU has learnt a massive lot from witnessing what happens to a member when it leaves and becomes isolated, in 100s, 1000s of ways.

GrannyGravy13 Tue 26-Sep-23 12:24:00

Fleurpepper

The will of the people is that 62% now want to rejoin, and most of the rest are 'don't knows' - only a tiny percentage now think Brexit was a good idea. The will of the people is that many who voted for it have now died, and large numbers who had not vote, do have one now.

Europe has been hugely strengthened by Brexit- and it is clear that the UK is in a massively bad way. I know you can't, or won't see it - and we will have to agree to disagree.

and it’s clear that the U.K. is in a massively bad way

Not the U.K. that I and my family and friends live in.

The entire world is in a state of flux, wars, climate, the way technology and AI is being implemented in the workplace.

It takes time for changes to settle, I have posted repeatedly that I was on the fence regarding remaining in the EU, at the 11th hour I voted to leave in the polling booth.

I am not against working closer with the EU however I do not view the EU through rose coloured spectacles. It is not omnipotent, it has its faults as does any other organisation.

Oreo Tue 26-Sep-23 12:51:51

MayBee70

The was a lawyer on tv just now who said that we used to send 60,000 illegal migrants back to other countries each year but now it’s 3,000 because someone forgot to negotiate the return to other countries deal that had been in place prior to Brexit. Apologies if I’ve got the facts wrong but I just caught the last part of the interview on Sky News just now. Why aren’t things like this publicised more?

This won’t be right.
Have a look at migration watch which tells you all about it.
We used to send some back to other EU countries but nothing like those figures.And in return we accepted numbers here from other EU countries.
None of our problems are down to somebody ‘forgetting’ to negotiate something.