Gransnet forums

News & politics

Any Gnetters at the Rejoin march today in London

(236 Posts)
Fleurpepper Sat 23-Sep-23 15:05:02

oh I wish I was there. Looks like a great crowd. The BBC will say there were a handful, of course.

Fleurpepper Sat 23-Sep-23 20:48:21

I'd have thought 4 posts would be a waste of your time, lol.

Oreo Sat 23-Sep-23 20:53:29

Here’s the 5th one😄and as the day is over it won’t be a waste of my time.Am off to bed in ten mins as a busy day to come on Sunday.
A tip for you, nobody says lol anymore and haven’t done for years, use the laughing/crying emoji instead.😂

Callistemon21 Sat 23-Sep-23 21:06:44

Oreo

They had a nice sunny day for it☀️

We went for our flu vaccinations.
Then food shopping in case we felt a bit under the weather later (sorry for pun).

Louella12 Sat 23-Sep-23 21:18:20

I'd not heard about it.

I did read about the XL bully owners having a protest though.

As a remain voter I have no idea why we would want to go back. Baffles me.

My grandchildren don't care about it at all. It's done now. And according to articles freely available online the EU is most certainly not the land of milk and honey that some seen to think it is. They have huge issues with migration for a start with different countries having very different ideas about how to deal with it

The Western world is in a mess at the moment. Not the fault of this government (who i doubt support) and not the fault of Brexit.

Some folk need to grow up a bit

Callistemon21 Sat 23-Sep-23 22:40:17

Both protests attracted hundreds of supporters according to The Guardian, presumably in different areas of London.

Neither were mentioned on the mainstream news.

Maggiemaybe Sat 23-Sep-23 23:37:27

I took part in three big WASPI demos at Westminster. There were thousands of us there each time, but none of them got a mention on the mainstream news. I suppose there are gatherings most days in London, so most of them will go unreported.

I did get in the press though. I held a banner pole for someone who needed a toilet break, and a photo was taken that appears in the local papers whenever WASPI gets a mention. grin

nanna8 Sun 24-Sep-23 00:30:17

Going against the will of the populace?

maddyone Sun 24-Sep-23 00:58:00

I saw there were three thousand people there. I don’t know if that was correct though. I also saw there was a demonstration about the banning of XL Bully dogs today too. I’ve no idea how many attended that.
I voted to remain in the EU but I don’t think it would be beneficial to us to rejoin any time soon. I don’t want to join the Euro, it would remove financial independence from the UK which is exactly why Gordon Brown refused to join despite Blair wanting to join. Also the terms to rejoin would undoubtedly be punitive to us. Closer Union maybe beneficial but it would still depend on the terms. These protesters can’t have given proper thought to the manner in which we would rejoin if we were to rejoin. They’re protesting because they’ve got nothing better to do because they must know the protest will achieve nothing.
I on the other hand, did have something better to do. We went to the quayside and went to a Thai restaurant with our son and daughter in law. The view over the boats was beautiful in the sunshine and the the food was delicious.

Fleurpepper Sun 24-Sep-23 08:39:16

Callistemon21

Both protests attracted hundreds of supporters according to The Guardian, presumably in different areas of London.

Neither were mentioned on the mainstream news.

Hundreds is just nonsense.

I wonder why it never made any of the mainstream news? Orders from above?

And to compare it with the XL pitbull demo is also nonsense- there were many 1000s at the Rejoin march, from all over the UK.

I am glad you had a good time maddyone- but why be so unpleasant?

MaizieD Sun 24-Sep-23 08:45:14

These protesters can’t have given proper thought to the manner in which we would rejoin if we were to rejoin. They’re protesting because they’ve got nothing better to do because they must know the protest will achieve nothing.

You gave yourself away, there, maddyone. You just don't like 'protestors', whatever they're protesting about.

I think they have a clearer idea of what an economic and democratic disaster Brexit has been for the UK than most UK citizens.

MaizieD Sun 24-Sep-23 08:49:44

Fp, I went on the last massive anti Brexit march, along with at least 1 million others. Also barely reported on. It's par for the course.

I would have gone on this one, but the spectre of covid is always around.

Oreo Sun 24-Sep-23 08:58:35

Do you know maddyone at all by any chance MaizieD?
Cos if not, where do you get off by saying ‘you just don’t like protestors, whatever they’re protesting about’.
It’s just your own over active imagination.
There will be causes that everyone cares about and many they don’t.
This particular one was a waste of time but if those that took part felt better for doing it then nobody is saying they shouldn’t have and good luck to them.Some of us have better and more enjoyable things to do on a Saturday, that’s all.

MayBee70 Sun 24-Sep-23 09:20:47

Imo there’s nothing more enjoyable than supporting a cause you believe in and being surrounded by like minded people. I still remember a CND march I went on in my youth and, had I not had young children at the time would have been at Greenham Common. It’s one thing writing letters and contributing financially to things we believe in but it’s empowering to be surrounded by complete strangers that you feel a bond with. And, I might add, that the pro EU marches are incident free and litter free, which is probably why they don’t make the news.

Oreo Sun 24-Sep-23 09:24:35

Am sure they all enjoyed the day Maybee70 and they were lucky to have sunny weather for it.

Aveline Sun 24-Sep-23 09:27:43

Do any of these marches achieve anything other than being enjoyable for those attending? Re CND we still have nuclear weapons for example

Joseann Sun 24-Sep-23 09:37:28

I hadn't heard anything about the Brexit march, but then I am away revelling in the entente cordiale, which this month is on a massive high across the channel.
Sometimes cross channel co-operation shows itself culturally as well as politically. Since we are all talking about what we did yesterday, I watched a small coastal town getting ready to receive nearly 35,000 visitors intent on promoting British cinema across France and mainland Europe. There was admittedly a post Brexit fear that the British film industry would entirely flop in Europe, and that more investment would be needed from Hollywood, but the number of union Jacks in town, and the arrival of wealthy cars here tells a different story.
Anyway, seeing as I wasn't in London to count the heads at the march, I thought I'd add my two euros worth from a different location. I am happy to have found something enjoyable to be doing, which also still shows that Brexit hasn't killed off all past pleasures.
🤴 👸 🎥 🎞 🇬🇧

Joseann Sun 24-Sep-23 09:38:03

Oreo

Am sure they all enjoyed the day Maybee70 and they were lucky to have sunny weather for it.

PS sunny here too! 😎

MayBee70 Sun 24-Sep-23 09:41:34

Maybe keeping things in people’s minds that governments wish to be brushed under the carpet. And, we might still have nuclear weapons but they haven’t (thus far ) been used. So no one knows what might have been if some people hadn’t shown their disapproval of them. And people, in general, like to push unpleasant things to the back of their mind; I know I do. Sometimes those things have to be brought out into the open. I didn’t go on the march for various reasons but one is that I feel the way forward is to rebuild our relationship with Europe. If that leads to rejoining the EU I’m happy with that, but it’s a long way down the line and sorting out the mess left by Brexit isn’t going to be immediately resolved by trying to rejoin. At the same time I don’t want people to forget the disruption, both financial and social, that Brexit has brought about.

TerriBull Sun 24-Sep-23 09:50:29

I remember sons going on the anti Iraq invasion march, which had a massive turnout, did all those who felt so strongly persuade the government to change tack. Not one bit! everything went ahead and led to the domino effect of displaced people and refugees throughout the Middle East, all based on massive untruths.

Kandinsky Sun 24-Sep-23 10:00:15

First I’d heard of it & I live in London.
The only protest my local news reported on was the dog ban one. Guess that’s more relevant at the moment.

GrannyGravy13 Sun 24-Sep-23 10:14:17

There were three Right to Food marches in the U.K. yesterday (London, Liverpool & Belfast) haven’t seen any publicity/coverage of those either.

Maggiemaybe Sun 24-Sep-23 10:28:01

Aveline

Do any of these marches achieve anything other than being enjoyable for those attending? Re CND we still have nuclear weapons for example

I doubt it. I thoroughly enjoyed shaking my fist at the WASPI demos, and we did get several high profile politicians come out to support us, but no, I doubt it furthered the cause. One of them was on the same day as the biggest anti-Brexit march, which certainly did get publicity, unlike us. There’s only so much that can be reported on in the main news bulletins and in the scheme of things this rejoin march was small fry. Conspiracy theories about orders from above are plain daft imho.

The anti war marches were on a different level - so many people, millions, taking part all over the country. If any demo would have had an effect on government thinking, that would have. Such a shame it didn’t. angry

MaizieD Sun 24-Sep-23 10:29:08

Do you know maddyone at all by any chance MaizieD?

maddyone and I have been posting on Gnet for much longer than you, Oreo. Like me, she posts quite a lot. I think you can get a pretty fair idea of what someone likes or dislikes from what they post on a topic without actually 'knowing' them in person. Especially if they are dripping with contempt for the post's subjects:

These protesters can’t have given proper thought to the manner in which we would rejoin if we were to rejoin. They’re protesting because they’ve got nothing better to do because they must know the protest will achieve nothing.

How does she 'know' that the protestors are ignorant of the issues and have nothing better to do? How very dismissive and unnecessary...

maddyone Sun 24-Sep-23 10:33:43

Think you’re wrong there Maizie because I have no problem with people protesting about about anything. I dislike it when protests descend into violence which sometimes they do, but peaceful protest is an important tenet of our society. With regard to protests about leaving the EU, well it’s a done dog, isn’t it? We’ve left, despite us (many of us) not wanting to leave. The problem is as I mentioned, if we were to rejoin, what would the terms on rejoining be? It is in my opinion, pointless to protest that we should rejoin without any thought about the terms. Is it just rejoin, whatever the terms? Because in my opinion, that is unthinking. The terms would be fundamental to the possibility of rejoining. Since you yourself have frequently said that people voted leave without knowing exactly what leave would mean, it should follow that you would support rejoining only if the terms under which we would rejoin were known. At this point we have no idea of that, although we could guess it would mean joining the Euro, and therefore anyone joining that march was doing so completely uniformed. It just becomes dogma then. So pointless in my opinion.

maddyone Sun 24-Sep-23 10:35:01

I think my previous post answers your post of 10.29 Maizie.