Gransnet forums

News & politics

Charles III gets North Westerners money!

(209 Posts)
Glorianny Fri 24-Nov-23 12:57:38

It seems that if you die without making a will in the NW and relatives can't be found the money goes to the Duchy of Lancaster. Charles made £26 million. Surely this isn't right. The Duchy of Cornwall can also claim. www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2023/nov/23/how-royal-estates-use-bona-vacantia-to-collect-money-from-dead-people-king-charles#:~:text=The%20duchies%20of%20Lancaster%20and%20Cornwall%20retained%20the%20custom%20of,on%20the%20administration%20of%20wills.

DaisyAnneReturns Fri 24-Nov-23 14:39:10

The Crown Estate.

The Crown Estate is the property of the Sovereign “in right of the Crown”, as set out on the official website of The Crown Estate. Since 1760 each monarch has surrendered its revenue to the Exchequer in return for government support

Germanshepherdsmum Fri 24-Nov-23 14:41:47

There’s nothing secret about it Grany. The names of people who have died without a will or known relatives, leaving estates worth at least £500, are published.

Callistemon21 Fri 24-Nov-23 14:42:44

council.lancashire.gov.uk/ecSDDisplayClassic.aspx?NAME=SD1084&id=1084&rpid=0

Other information easily googled.

But if you're happy for local groups to miss out on grants from the Duchy of Lancaster carry on with the ill-informed diatribe.

Callistemon21 Fri 24-Nov-23 14:43:39

That was to Grany btw.

Callistemon21 Fri 24-Nov-23 14:46:35

Calendargirl

Best to make a will then.

😂
👏👏

Hurry up, Glorianny, off to the solicitor, you'd never rest if you thought Charles got 1d of your hard-earned wealth.

Germanshepherdsmum Fri 24-Nov-23 14:47:56

🤣🤣🤣

Grany Fri 24-Nov-23 14:48:11

DaisyAnneReturns

The Crown Estate.

^The Crown Estate is the property of the Sovereign “in right of the Crown”, as set out on the official website of The Crown Estate. Since 1760 each monarch has surrendered its revenue to the Exchequer in return for government support^

The crown estate is state property. We don’t get anything from the royals. Treasury funds the monarchy 100%

Germanshepherdsmum Fri 24-Nov-23 14:50:40

It’s not state property and the monarchy is not wholly funded by the Treasury. Do get your facts straight Grany.

Grany Fri 24-Nov-23 14:55:24

Germanshepherdsmum

It’s not state property and the monarchy is not wholly funded by the Treasury. Do get your facts straight Grany.

The words about surrendering estate is just that words. The treasury funds the monarchy 100% And its a lot of money.

Callistemon21 Fri 24-Nov-23 14:56:00

Brand Finance found that the non-recurring benefits will be £1,692 million, compared with non-recurring costs of £931 million, meaning that the Coronation year produces a net positive non-recurring contribution of £761 million. The primary costs in the 2023/24 financial year are £100 million estimated for the coronation itself, and £831 million estimated for the incremental bank holiday which reduces GDP

brandfinance.com/press-releases/new-analysis-finds-the-uk-monarchy-produces-a-net-economic-benefit-for-the-uk
Technical Credibility
We are a regulated accountancy firm, leading the standardisation of the brand valuation industry. We are compliant with ISO 10668 and 20671.

As soon as the word Monarchy appears, along come the usual naysayers with unsubstantiated posts which can be easily disproved.

Jane43 Fri 24-Nov-23 15:10:44

Germanshepherdsmum

Typical nasty response from you Paddy. And I’m not blinkered thank you.

Thankfully anti monarchists are in a minority, I don’t want a Macron, a Biden or a Blair as figurehead and I can’t see any of them donating millions of pounds from wind farm profits to the country as King Charles has. I’m happy to carry on paying my £1.29 a year to retain the royal family.

Glorianny Fri 24-Nov-23 15:11:26

No doubt they do. But after WW2 there would no doubt be substantial numbers with no direct family surviving
During the second world war, the then king, George VI, reportedly benefited from the deaths of soldiers and airmen who were killed – the income from bona vacantia rose sharply during the war years. At that time, the money collected under the system in effect went to the monarch, albeit via his duchy.

It was not until the 1980s that the duchy began to say the money from bona vacantia would not enrich the queen, but instead would be donated to charity. With minimal public oversight, it has not been possible – until now – to know whether that claim was true
In other words until they had to the monarchs simply pocketed it all. Then they said it was going to charity. Now there is documentary evidence that the money supposedly preserving buildings is being used to ensure they are rentable and bring in profits. Never known a private landlord be regarded as a charity before.

Germanshepherdsmum Fri 24-Nov-23 15:12:14

I repeat, the monarchy is not wholly funded by the Treasury Grany. What you say in that regard is totally false.

Grany Fri 24-Nov-23 15:20:02

DoesS THE COST OFFSET BY CROWN ESTATE REVENUE?

The Crown Estate is a land and property portfolio, managed on behalf of the Government, whose surplus revenue is paid annually to the Treasury.
It is sometimes claimed that the King “surrenders” Crown Estate revenue to the nation, subsidising the monarchy through a personal financial sacrifice. In fact, as the Crown Estate itself puts it, “The property we manage is owned by the Crown but is not the private property of the monarch.” They stress on their website that “The Crown Estate [...] is not the private property of the monarch – it cannot be sold by the monarch, nor do revenues from it belong to the monarch.”11
It’s also worth noting that the Office of National Statistics classifies the Crown Estate as a public sector body and not as a privately owned business.
“there is no natural or legitimate link between Crown Estate income and royal funding
The source of the confusion comes from the fact that a small part of the existing Crown Estate portfolio was the property of the monarch before the end of the 18th century, when the king had responsibility for the expenses of civil government.
But this changed once the state (the Crown) and the person of the monarch became separate during the reign of George III. Since then the Crown Estate has been the “hereditary possessions of the Sovereign”, not the personal possessions of the individual acting as Sovereign.

If the monarchy was to disappear tomorrow the crown estate would do what it has done for the past 1000 years pay for the administration of the country.

Germanshepherdsmum Fri 24-Nov-23 15:21:17

After WW2 there would no doubt be substantial numbers [presumably you mean ‘of servicemen’] with no direct family surviving - that’s pure imagination. If intestate estates rose during the war years that may well have been due to the lack of access to solicitors to prepare wills. Many were fighting. Apart from the requirement to make a will before going on active service, those in the forces still enjoy the ability to make nuncupative (ie oral) wills - something the rest of the population have been unable to do for many years.

MaizieD Fri 24-Nov-23 15:27:45

Unless you have no known relatives it makes no difference as to whether you leave a will or not. Any assets you leave will be shared among your relatives. It has happened in my OH's family and in mine.

Callistemon21 Fri 24-Nov-23 15:40:47

Best leave it to an animal sanctuary if one has no known relatives 🐕🐈

Or a charity dear to one's heart.

Germanshepherdsmum Fri 24-Nov-23 15:44:39

Definitely leave it to a charity if you have no family or friends that you wish to benefit - and include a back up provision in the event of any family or friends you leave a gift to predeceasing you or your named charity ceasing to exist. Belt and braces.

Callistemon21 Fri 24-Nov-23 16:04:32

MaizieD

Unless you have no known relatives it makes no difference as to whether you leave a will or not. Any assets you leave will be shared among your relatives. It has happened in my OH's family and in mine.

Adverts are placed in newspapers seeking relatives who might inherit a deceased's estate. Someone we knew inherited a substantial amount of money plus a property from a relative they had lost touch with. Somehow it seemed rather unfair as they had obviously not bothered with their elderly aunt in her lifetime. It might have been better going into Government coffers or to good causes.

Heir hunters will investigate too, if it's worth their while of course.

Germanshepherdsmum Fri 24-Nov-23 16:21:19

Here are the latest Duchy of Lancaster report and audited accounts Glorianny and Grany. It you can scroll down to the accounts and footnote 9 you will see details of bona vacantia receipts and payments therefrom to charitable causes.
www.duchyoflancaster.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2022/07/2022-DoL-ARR.pdf

Grany Fri 24-Nov-23 16:40:33

Germanshepherdsmum

Here are the latest Duchy of Lancaster report and audited accounts Glorianny and Grany. It you can scroll down to the accounts and footnote 9 you will see details of bona vacantia receipts and payments therefrom to charitable causes.
www.duchyoflancaster.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2022/07/2022-DoL-ARR.pdf

In an investigation it was found Charles spent money on doing up his houses for rental.

Read the report
www.republic.org.uk/the_true_cost_of_the_royals

Mollygo Fri 24-Nov-23 16:41:36

Thanks for that GSM. I was aware of where the money went and what happened to it, but not in such precise detail re the Duchy of Lancaster.

Caleo Fri 24-Nov-23 16:46:13

Evidence of feudalism was new to me until today therefore I am no longer a monarchist and have allowed myself to be misled for years.
I now believe that the royal family is the top of a class system of which poor and deprived people must now be cleared off the streets with their unsightly tents , and free speech is being eroded.

Germanshepherdsmum Fri 24-Nov-23 16:50:31

The Duchy probably did spend money on those things Grany - the estate is a vast commercial enterprise with many properties needing maintenance - but the independently audited accounts show what the Duchy received by way of bona vacantia and the amount given to charitable causes. You may not like the facts, having previously said that they were untrue, but they are there for you to read.

Germanshepherdsmum Fri 24-Nov-23 16:56:27

I’m afraid we do live in a feudal system Caleo. The monarch owns all the land in the country. Those who own a freehold property hold it from the Crown, free from any obligation to pay rent or render service to the Crown. Doesn’t affect us though does it? And never will. I hope this doesn’t cause cardiac arrest for Grany and her ilk.