Gransnet forums

News & politics

Charles III gets North Westerners money!

(209 Posts)
Glorianny Fri 24-Nov-23 12:57:38

It seems that if you die without making a will in the NW and relatives can't be found the money goes to the Duchy of Lancaster. Charles made £26 million. Surely this isn't right. The Duchy of Cornwall can also claim. www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2023/nov/23/how-royal-estates-use-bona-vacantia-to-collect-money-from-dead-people-king-charles#:~:text=The%20duchies%20of%20Lancaster%20and%20Cornwall%20retained%20the%20custom%20of,on%20the%20administration%20of%20wills.

Caleo Fri 01-Dec-23 16:18:17

Caleo

Caleo:- "It's not only that the RF is too rich or too feudal that is wrong. There must be a ruling elite in every society however
each ruling elite must be controlled by modernised laws . We really do need proportional representation to modernise the law."

Old Frill:-"I used to support PR, then l saw the effects in Israel and Scotland."

Caleo:- what PR,: what effects?

DaisyAnneReturns Fri 01-Dec-23 16:28:22

OldFrill

GrannyRose15

I enjoy watching Heir Hunters on TV. Professional heir hunters search through a published list of people who have died intestate with unknown relatives and a substantial estate. They then search for relatives and help them to claim the estate. The programme gets quite exciting and intense at times. It also shows that efforts are made to trace family before money is taken by the Crown.

Heir hunters charge a tidy sum for uniting any money with the rightful heir, I'm not sure of the morality of those earnings.

They work for them. It is a percentage of the inheritance. I know someone who received money in this way. His thinking was that it's better to have the large percentage left than nothing at all.

nadateturbe Fri 01-Dec-23 17:08:37

^Old Frill:-"I used to support PR, then l saw the effects in Israel and Scotland."

Caleo:- what PR,: what effects^?

I think we should have PR too. What effects?

DaisyAnneReturns Sat 02-Dec-23 11:15:07

Whatever the outcome it should come from each vote counting for the same value. There are many areas in this country where some votes count for nothing!

If it needs a total of (all voters/650 seats) for one MP it should be the same for each seat. Politics is messy but that is no reason to dump democracy.

PR is the next step in democracy and we cannot turn our back on it forever nadateturbe. Dictatorships often seem to be less messy but that's certainly not the direction of travel I want to go in!

nadateturbe Sat 02-Dec-23 14:10:10

PR is the next step in democracy and we cannot turn our back on it forever nadateturbe.

Totally agree DaisyAnneReturns.

Rabbitgran Mon 04-Dec-23 05:33:59

Paddyann54 - VERY WELL SAID, THANK YOU!

DaisyAnneReturns Mon 04-Dec-23 06:24:50

Do you need to shout at us Rabbitgran?

Janetashbolt Fri 12-Jan-24 08:46:56

Will you're at it get a POA sorted while you still have all your faculties.