Gransnet forums

News & politics

Gobsmacked

(57 Posts)
Poppyred Fri 15-Mar-24 21:30:24

There was a Ukrainian woman on Welsh news programme tonight complaining that she didn’t have a translator to explain what was happening during her heart operation and after treatment. Her daughter was there and able to speak English and pass on this information to her.
There was no mention of her paying for her treatment so obviously carried out for free under the NHS…..

TinSoldier Fri 15-Mar-24 21:43:14

Ukrainian refugees are entitled to NHS treatment.

Poppyred Fri 15-Mar-24 21:47:55

Yes, probably, maybe be grateful.. How much would it cost in her own country??

crazyH Fri 15-Mar-24 21:55:38

I think the NHS should only be available to UK citizens. I can only presume that this Ukranian lady fell ill (probably heart attack) when she was visiting her daughter and so, will automatically be entitled to treatment. It’s not right to send a sick back to the Ukraine.

erl4221 Fri 15-Mar-24 21:56:35

What would you have preferred Poppyred? For her to drop down dead?

Casdon Fri 15-Mar-24 22:05:16

It would be free in Ukraine Poppyred - but there is a war on there, in case you hadn’t noticed.

Poppyred Fri 15-Mar-24 22:09:34

You are all missing the point. If my country was at war and another country took me in, I would be very grateful - not complaining that the doctor operating to save my life did not speak my language !!!

Casdon Fri 15-Mar-24 22:12:10

Poppyred

You are all missing the point. If my country was at war and another country took me in, I would be very grateful - not complaining that the doctor operating to save my life did not speak my language !!!

No, you wouldn’t. Like anybody else, you’d be scared, you wouldn’t understand what was happening to you, and you’d want somebody who understood what the doctors were saying to tell you in your own language. That’s how it works for us all.

Pantglas2 Fri 15-Mar-24 22:22:25

Try all that in Spain where they insist you bring your translator with you (paid or otherwise) and all this before Brexit…

erl4221 Fri 15-Mar-24 22:30:20

No, Poppyred, you specifically mentioned the fact that she most probably received her treatment for free, re-iterating what guiled you by asking ‘what would it cost in her country’.

Many Ukranian hospitals have been bombed and some struggling to function, let alone cope with the many Ukranian men, many untrained soldiers, who have been maimed in fighting a war against against superpower next door.

Casdon Fri 15-Mar-24 22:33:13

It’s not the same as Spain though where lots of staff speak English, and lots of Brits speak Spanish. I can only speak for myself, but if I was admitted to hospital in say Japan or Russia, I’d be a lot more scared than I would in Spain or somewhere else in Europe.

Poppyred Fri 15-Mar-24 22:37:59

Her daughter was there with her to translate….

nanna8 Fri 15-Mar-24 22:45:45

It is what it is. Before we all felt sorry ,with reason, for the plight of Ukrainian people we were suspicious of many of them and thought that they hacked into computer systems worldwide with a big criminal network. Now it’s Albanians. Things and perceptions change all the time. It totally doesn’t surprise me, they have to fight for stuff at home and the entitlement is part of it. Just a different way of dealing with people.

erl4221 Fri 15-Mar-24 22:45:46

The bottom line is just resent her being treated - nothing else…

Casdon Fri 15-Mar-24 22:47:25

The NHS uses qualified medical translators, they are employed to support complex conversations between patients and their doctors. I think most of us would struggle to impart clinical information in a different language, even if we can speak it ourselves.

flappergirl Fri 15-Mar-24 22:56:31

Of course the woman should have received free treatment and I have great sympathy with her, it must have been a very frightening experience. I don't think it's reasonable that the NHS should provide translators though if that's what's being suggested. I wouldn't expect a translator if I was taken ill in a foreign country.

Casdon Fri 15-Mar-24 23:01:42

Translation is part of public services provision, here is the detail. As the post was about Wales, this is the Welsh one, but the same services are available throughout the UK,
www.wits.wales/

Deedaa Fri 15-Mar-24 23:08:39

If the NHS hadn't been run into the ground it probably wouldn't have been a problem. Our local hospital has quite a few Ukrainian members of staff and, if hospitals weren't so short staffed, someone could probably have been found to translate for her.

nanna8 Fri 15-Mar-24 23:22:50

We have to translate for some of the docs here . I’m not kidding, I have experienced this !

maddyone Fri 15-Mar-24 23:47:02

I’m just pleased that my country was able to offer sanctuary to so many Ukrainians, including this woman and her daughter, and I’m pleased she received the care she needed via our NHS.

NotSpaghetti Sat 16-Mar-24 08:47:01

Casdon

The NHS uses qualified medical translators, they are employed to support complex conversations between patients and their doctors. I think most of us would struggle to impart clinical information in a different language, even if we can speak it ourselves.

So true!
Thanks for saying what I was going to!

NotSpaghetti Sat 16-Mar-24 09:01:23

I don't know why you are gobsmacked poppyred

The truth, as outlined in a recent report , which is probably why it was on TV as an article - seems to be saying that people are being treated inappropriately and being misdiagnosed. There are examples.

The report by the Equality and Social Justice Committee said mistakes and misdiagnoses often occurred due to the "wholly inappropriate use of family members as interpreters in medical settings rather than trained professionals"

www.itv.com/news/wales/2024-03-15/i-had-17-calls-in-one-hour-it-was-scary-the-patients-without-a-voice

By the way, the Ukrainian family were grateful and positive about the NHS in spite of the problems (for example needing an oxygen mask and getting a wash instead). I think it is important to say so...

Cossy Sat 16-Mar-24 09:11:40

Poppyred

Fgs, firstly which rag did you read this in?
Secondly, if this is all you’re worried about ……

Cossy Sat 16-Mar-24 09:16:39

Ooops Poppyred Just been back and read your post and can see it was a tv programme, apologies!

I still think this is a storm in a teacup and this poor woman doesn’t deserve this criticism!

Siope Sat 16-Mar-24 09:41:46

crazyH

I think the NHS should only be available to UK citizens. I can only presume that this Ukranian lady fell ill (probably heart attack) when she was visiting her daughter and so, will automatically be entitled to treatment. It’s not right to send a sick back to the Ukraine.

Dear foreign doctor/nurse/midwife/radiographer/physitherapist/other clinical professional

I know you’re working for the NHS, saving lives, easing pain, delivering our babies, keeping our old people safe; I know you’re paying a healthcare levy every year; I know you can’t become a UK citizen for five years, but you’re paying a fortune regularly to have your visa updated; I know you’re paying tax and national insurance. Nonetheless, if you get ill, you should either pay privately or sod off. Yours faithfully, your grateful patients.

More and more often, I wonder why my husband ever gave up a high paying medical career in the US to come to this country and work for much less, in worse conditions, delivering care to people who despise him.

And my point doesn’t just apply to those who work in the US. Migrants pay to live here (including extra for accessing the NHS), they all contribute to society in some way, and they deserve to be treated with dignity. And banning asylum seekers, who are here because of dire circumstances, from healthcare is a despicable idea.