Gransnet forums

News & politics

Changed my mind about voting for Reform uk

(143 Posts)
Curtaintwitcher Sun 17-Mar-24 08:20:21

I had been planning to vote for Richard Tice's party but, now that I've read their manifesto, I've changed my mind. They support hunting, which I deplore. Killing animals for pleasure is morally wrong and I will not vote for a party which supports it.

Marmin Sun 17-Mar-24 08:22:48

Good for you. The devil is often in the detail.

Whitewavemark2 Sun 17-Mar-24 08:24:12

I wish more people read the manifestos

M0nica Sun 17-Mar-24 08:24:57

How typically British, animals before humans.

Anniebach Sun 17-Mar-24 08:40:53

Hunting is vile, i have witnessed kills and seen the tortured animals in such terror

Juliet27 Sun 17-Mar-24 08:44:44

‘Fraid so M0nica. Thanks for the information curtaintwitcher

petra Sun 17-Mar-24 09:02:10

I take your point curtaintwitcher but it makes no difference who is in power when police forces aren’t upholding the law.

www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/fox-hunting-police-force-illegal-evidence-report-video-law-hounds-crime-b499031.html#

Anniebach Sun 17-Mar-24 09:04:45

They always have ignored

TinSoldier Sun 17-Mar-24 09:05:37

The manifesto is vague on this as it in on most things.

Under Agriculture, it says:

Protect Country sports. These increase investment in conservation of our environment. They boost rural jobs, communities and local economies.

www.reformparty.uk/our-contract-contents

It doesn't call explicitly for a repeal of the ban on fox hunting, badger baiting etc but it could be used to lobby for repeal.

Note too that under Reclaiming Britain it says: Replace the 2010 Equalities Act.

No doubt this is part of the party's bullish "anti-woke" agenda but never forget this is a vital law that protects everybody including people who are old and disabled and gives maternity rights to women.

Urmstongran Sun 17-Mar-24 09:36:29

Well they’re never going to form a government so I’m going to vote Reform. I can’t vote for the Tories and Labour’s front bench and Shadow Ministers don’t inspire confidence. Dawn Butler, Lammy, Jonathan Ashworth, Angela Rayner. No!

Tizliz Sun 17-Mar-24 09:48:29

M0nica

killing animals for sport shows what sort of human you are. Just as bad are those who agree with it.

Germanshepherdsmum Sun 17-Mar-24 09:48:56

You might as well not bother to vote Urms.

I started to read their ‘manifesto’ and it was so poorly written and full of grammatical errors, I didn’t get far. I had no intention of voting for them but wanted to be informed. Hopeless. Although I always vote Conservative and will do so again, if their manifesto indicated an intention to legalise hunting again I simply wouldn’t vote. Yes MOnica, animals (who can’t speak for themselves) before humans (who can).

flappergirl Sun 17-Mar-24 09:49:22

M0nica

Well M0nica, as Gandhi famously said.

"The greatest of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated".

ronib Sun 17-Mar-24 10:07:53

I thought Reform had lost credibility when Anderson was announced as the first Reform Mp. Obviously not voted in on the Reform manifesto but why let petty details stand in the way?

MaizieD Sun 17-Mar-24 10:28:14

ronib

I thought Reform had lost credibility when Anderson was announced as the first Reform Mp. Obviously not voted in on the Reform manifesto but why let petty details stand in the way?

No MP who crosses the floor does the honourable thing these days.

ronib Sun 17-Mar-24 10:42:51

MaizieD very true. Although hearing Tice proclaim that Reform now had its first MP made me think all kinds of things and any previous sympathies evaporated on the spot. Definitely not Reforming here.

LizzieDrip Sun 17-Mar-24 11:50:07

I agree with Whitewave … I wish more people would read manifestos in the build-up to a GE!

nanna8 Sun 17-Mar-24 12:14:59

I suppose that party , which I don’t know much about, might act as a bit of a wake-up call to the 2 big parties. Maybe it might be useful for that. Both the major parties will join in making sure any new one won’t have a cat in hell’s chance of getting anywhere near government. That is how they work, isn’t it and that is why there are only 2 major parties both in the UK and where I live.

utterbliss Sun 17-Mar-24 12:17:42

Can anyone tell me where Reform stands on the NHS and Private health care? Do they intend to reduce the NHS in favour of private health care insurance?

I am on a 64-week waiting list, and sadly, I cannot afford to pay for private care.

I am concerned about any party whose policies would add further to the NHS waiting lists

I would be grateful to hear from anyone who has read Reforms Manifesto.

Cabowich Sun 17-Mar-24 12:20:53

I feel exactly the same, Curtaintwitcher. It does make it difficult to find a party to vote for. I'd say I was more right wing when it comes to people, but left wing when it comes to animals. And there is no political party that caters for my preferences!

nanna8 Sun 17-Mar-24 12:26:06

There is an Animal Justice Party here! They don’t get many votes, unfortunately. I’ve voted for them in the past.

Dinahmo Sun 17-Mar-24 14:53:02

I think that many people are considering Reform because the name suggests change which most of us want at the moment. But, as one commentator said this morning (on Trevor Philips I think) Reform is just another Tory party. Slightly different but possibly worse.

Richard Tice has been doing the rounds of the chat shows recently and he comes over as being quite decent, which his policies aren't.

Cossy Sun 17-Mar-24 18:18:30

Dinahmo

I think that many people are considering Reform because the name suggests change which most of us want at the moment. But, as one commentator said this morning (on Trevor Philips I think) Reform is just another Tory party. Slightly different but possibly worse.

Richard Tice has been doing the rounds of the chat shows recently and he comes over as being quite decent, which his policies aren't.

The trouble is if one has charisma it’s quite easy to come across as a “quite decent” person and some people get sucked in and forget we are meant to be voting on a political party’s manifesto, policy and beliefs not any one individual person, who aside from anything else, as we are only too aware, can disappear literally overnight!

Germanshepherdsmum Sun 17-Mar-24 18:35:57

More than one intelligent poster has said they will vote for Reform. Have they read and considered what passes as their ‘manifesto’ or are they swayed by the rhetoric?

M0nica Sun 17-Mar-24 19:26:05

nanna8 Reform is a far right party. Labour will be one of its biggest supporters, the more people vote for Reform the more seats they win.