Gransnet forums

News & politics

Home Secretary says nearly all women who attempt to each UK in small boats are raped on their journey

(41 Posts)
Primrose53 Mon 05-Oct-26 15:07:02

Shabana Mahmood said this in a podcast interview on The Rest Is Politics.

We know it’s only a small percentage of women who do come on these boats and presumably she knows what she is talking about but if she knows this is happening why isn’t she doing more to stop the traffickers?

All very disturbing. The chaos at Gosport yesterday with another nearly 200 arriving on a mega dinghy is also very disturbing. No wonder the townsfolk are protesting.

Primrose53 Mon 05-Oct-26 16:34:15

Casdon

Maybe others are just sick and tired of the very regular have a go at boat migrants threads thinly cloaked in concern. I certainly am.

I absolutely resent that remark. That is a horrible comment.

Luckygirl3 Mon 05-Oct-26 16:39:43

These traffickers are the devil incarnate. - they surely are - along with drug pushers.

Aveline Mon 05-Oct-26 16:48:26

Why don't these women settle in the first safe country they get to? Why don't the men? Why do they always come West and not East?

Primrose53 Mon 05-Oct-26 16:49:49

Casdon

Tworedroses

Casdon

Maybe others are just sick and tired of the very regular have a go at boat migrants threads thinly cloaked in concern. I certainly am.

Don’t read it then. Scroll past.

People who are genuinely horrified would be saying in their post that women should be fast tracked to seek asylum, to get them out of the situation they find themselves in. I won’t let threads like this go, or scroll on, why would I, when I disagree with posters.

Would you prefer nobody mentions the migrant crisis ever then? It is one of the most important current problems in the country and shows little sign of improving. Just a reminder that the Home Secretary started this!

winterwhite Mon 05-Oct-26 16:59:52

Yes, ‘on their journey’ does not mean that this is anything unique to the boats as such.
We don’t have the full context here. Did the Home Secretary go on to say how she can improve facilities for women and children once they arrive here.

Casdon Mon 05-Oct-26 17:02:00

No Primrose53. What I object to is posts deliberately designed to stir the pot, from the same posters, who are disinterested in informed debate about the reasons behind the migrant crisis and how the Western world needs to support both refugees and the countries from which migrants come. What particularly infuriates me is ‘send them all back to France’, and factually inaccurate statements like it ‘shows little signs of improving’.

Primrose53 Mon 05-Oct-26 17:08:28

Casdon

No Primrose53. What I object to is posts deliberately designed to stir the pot, from the same posters, who are disinterested in informed debate about the reasons behind the migrant crisis and how the Western world needs to support both refugees and the countries from which migrants come. What particularly infuriates me is ‘send them all back to France’, and factually inaccurate statements like it ‘shows little signs of improving’.

How can reporting what the Home Secretary has just said be “stirring the pot”? I find it very disturbing, distressing and disgraceful that these women are being raped.

Incidentally she also says that some males have been assaulted and abused as well.

Casdon Mon 05-Oct-26 17:10:10

Read your own post again, the third paragraph.

GrannyGravy13 Mon 05-Oct-26 17:28:04

Casdon do you also object to the multitude of frequent threads on Nigel Farage, the current POTUS or any other oft discussed political news item or is it just asylum seekers?

Fallingstar Mon 05-Oct-26 17:45:20

GrannyGravy13

Casdon do you also object to the multitude of frequent threads on Nigel Farage, the current POTUS or any other oft discussed political news item or is it just asylum seekers?

With all due respect both Farage and Trump are powerful people, asylum seekers have no agency.

GrannyGravy13 Mon 05-Oct-26 17:56:04

Fallingstar

GrannyGravy13

Casdon do you also object to the multitude of frequent threads on Nigel Farage, the current POTUS or any other oft discussed political news item or is it just asylum seekers?

With all due respect both Farage and Trump are powerful people, asylum seekers have no agency.

With respect I do not think power has anything to do with posters interest in certain aspects of news and/or politics.

Mamie Mon 05-Oct-26 17:57:41

I listened to the whole Rest is Politics interview with Shabana Mahmood. Well worth it, I thought she came across very well.

Fallingstar Mon 05-Oct-26 18:01:42

GrannyGravy am all for a political thread discussing workable solutions to the issue of migrants coming over illegally in boats but am not in favour of simply stoking fear and prejudice, that is what was being discussed i.e. stirring the pot.

GrannyGravy13 Mon 05-Oct-26 18:08:18

Fallingstar

GrannyGravy am all for a political thread discussing workable solutions to the issue of migrants coming over illegally in boats but am not in favour of simply stoking fear and prejudice, that is what was being discussed i.e. stirring the pot.

I cannot see how you extrapolate stirring the pot from a thread started relating to something the current Home Secretary has said in a podcast relating to the rape and sexual abuse of female asylum seekers 🤷‍♀️

Casdon Mon 05-Oct-26 18:09:35

GrannyGravy13

Casdon do you also object to the multitude of frequent threads on Nigel Farage, the current POTUS or any other oft discussed political news item or is it just asylum seekers?

Yes, I do if they aren’t threads with a tangible topic being discussed GrannyGravy13 because I can’t see any point in people just venting without some substance, particularly when they get their facts wrong. I like a proper debate rather than a right/left slanging match developing. I think it’s fine to say you don’t like or trust whoever is under discussion, but not to rant about them. Sorry, I know that’s quite a boring answer.