Gransnet forums

Chat

A frivolous train of thought...

(130 Posts)
Rosina Thu 18-Apr-19 08:52:33

This morning while applying mascara, I remembered the 'spit and scrub' type of the sixties. the small black and deep pink plastic case, the tiny black brush, and then 'Outdoor Girl' popped into my mind. Curious to see if anyone else remembered it I googled 'Outdoor Girl' - and it seems it is still going strong. Why do our brains retain these small facts? I know the words to the advertising jingle for 'Richard Shops'. Obviously I now need to steer my brain on to slightly more significant matters like paying some bills and walking the dog, but I did enjoy that little foray into my teenage years!

BrandyButter Thu 18-Apr-19 08:59:49

I still clean the kitchen floor to 'Stardrops,stardrops....' singing in my head. And I have had numerous earrings in my life but somehow they never seem to match up to the one the Lover placed in the box of chocolates for her to find.....Treetops orange cordial....Smartie people are happy people singing all the time because they're feeling fine....And I wonder why my brain has difficulty remembering new things it is clogged with advertising tunes from the past!! smile

lemongrove Thu 18-Apr-19 09:00:30

I remember that mascara well ( guess we all had some.)
Also the very pale pink lipstick, to get the dolly bird look.grin

Jane10 Thu 18-Apr-19 09:01:25

Boom, boom, boom, boom Esso blue!
I don't even know what Esso blue is.

lemongrove Thu 18-Apr-19 09:01:43

There aren’t really many jingles now, a mistake really as they do stick in the mind, Persil Washes Whiter!

DoraMarr Thu 18-Apr-19 09:02:12

Oh yes “Outdoor girl!” I remember! And did you have very pale lipsticks? I remember buying some in Biba on a rare school trip to London when we were supposed to be looking round an art gallery or a museum. Later, in my slightly hippy college years, I used to buy henna for my hair and kohl for my eyes. The henna came in a box with a beautiful Bollywood style model on it. It was basically mud, with dried sticks and leaves in it. It made my hair lovely and glossy, with an auburn tint.

ninathenana Thu 18-Apr-19 09:19:00

Jane Esso blue was/is paraffin.

shysal Thu 18-Apr-19 09:29:43

Didn't it come from the 'Esso blee Dooler'?

Teetime Thu 18-Apr-19 09:31:20

OMG the earworms from then ' John Collier John Collier the window to watch' tra la !

Susan56 Thu 18-Apr-19 09:36:32

For mash get smash!

Daddima Thu 18-Apr-19 09:52:52

Aqua Manda perfume, Brut aftershave, Max Factor Pan Stik and strawberry meringue lipstick!

? Long grain rice all the way from America, red peppers, green peppers, juicy green beans. Carrots and peas and a pinch of seasoning.......?

fizzers Thu 18-Apr-19 09:55:59

Oh God the 'Richard Shops' tune, now it's in my head and it won't go, as for the mascara, remember it well, it''s a wonder we didn't all go blind with that stuff!

KatyK Thu 18-Apr-19 09:58:13

Shine up your buttons with Brasso. I still use Brasso.

henetha Thu 18-Apr-19 10:00:16

Lovely perfumes like Californian Poppy and Evening in Paris...and I well remember that mascara, Rosina

Beechnut Thu 18-Apr-19 10:09:52

I just saw this on my Fb page.

Beechnut Thu 18-Apr-19 10:13:34

It was a photo from the past and I obviously don’t know what I am doing ?

Beechnut Thu 18-Apr-19 10:14:15

And then it appeared ?

olliebeak Thu 18-Apr-19 10:18:07

'You'll wonder where the yellow went - when you brush your teeth with Pepsodent' :-).

I was another who used 'Outdoor Girl' (remember their WHITE lipstick?) - before progressing to 'Boots 17' and then 'Boots No.7'.

NotSpaghetti Thu 18-Apr-19 10:21:39

I too remember these mascaras.
I had both white lipstick and a deep purple Biba one too. Couldn't afford the clothes at Biba though.
Also Henna and Kohl...
...And my first "grown up" perfume in the early/mid70s - Yves Saint Laurent Rive Gauche.
Happy days.

sassenach512 Thu 18-Apr-19 10:23:51

It's a wonder we didn't all get eye infections with all of that spitting into the mascara! ?

Aepgirl Thu 18-Apr-19 10:25:00

I remember putting a Tiger in my Tank, and having a furry tiger’s tail hanging from my petrol cap.

Pat1949 Thu 18-Apr-19 10:25:34

We're going well on Shell, Shell, Shell. Bing Crosby's (at least I think it was Bing) popular little ditty.

Sheilasue Thu 18-Apr-19 10:27:38

I used to use that mascara, the brush used to get so thick with mascara so if you didn’t wash it out you would have clumpy eyelashes ?
When I am vacuuming I always think of the song ‘hoover beats as it sweeps as it cleans’.

BassGrammy Thu 18-Apr-19 10:34:22

Now hands that do dishes can be soft as your face......

Legs55 Thu 18-Apr-19 10:35:40

I remember block mascara but don't think I used it, did use the pale pink lipstick though. Oh Aqua Manda & Brut, loved Evening in Paris.

Another jingle for you "Shake n Vac brings the freshness back" grin

Happy memories smile