Gransnet forums

Pedants' corner

bless him!

(60 Posts)
syberia Thu 01-Dec-11 09:38:11

My OH has used the phrase "damp squid" twice this morning while having a political rant, I hadn't the heart to correct him!! smile

Notsogrand Fri 02-Dec-11 04:25:22

I know someone who referred experiencing an extreme allergic reaction as going into 'Anaglypta Shock'.

kittylester Fri 02-Dec-11 08:27:48

Don't you find though that these weird sayings become part of every your day speech and people start to give you very strange looks. My husband's Uncle always talked about people being "alkerolics" if they had a drink problem. We all use it now without noticing. Similarly, a neighbour's son lives in a computer belt! grin

Carol Fri 02-Dec-11 08:45:15

When credit cards started to become popular my mum used to talk about her Assess card (Access) and her favourite musical was Lez Miserabuls!

starrygal Sun 04-Dec-11 13:13:39

I've heard a lot of folk use "squash" instead of "quash", as in "his conviction was squashed"...

Also, my ex-husband told me he preferred plumper women because "some women nowadays are so thin they're practically emancipated!". I howled with laughter, which probably contributed to our divorce.

Anne58 Sun 04-Dec-11 18:08:55

I once suggested that it might be nice to hire bikes and go for a ride on the Tarka trail, and perhaps stopfor a pub lunch somewhere.

Mr Phoenix replied that he might consider it, but wouldn't want to wear "those Lurex shorts".

I had an instant image of Liberace on a bike!

riclorian Sun 04-Dec-11 18:32:57

My mother had a 'schumacher ' tree in her garden -- I never did find out if it was Michael or Ralph !!

absentgrana Mon 05-Dec-11 12:38:51

A much beloved aunt was famous for her malapropisms. On returning from accompanying an even older aunt to the hospital following an accident, she reported that the diagnosis was a fractured pelmet. On another occasion, also at the hospital, she informed the patient transport department that the patient they were calling was still at the palmistry.

mrsmopp Thu 05-Jul-12 11:57:10

Just picked up this thread - to add to 'elegant sufficiency' my mum used to say it whenever whe was asked if she wanted more to eat. The full sentence was:
'I've had elegant sufficiency and any more would be an over indulgence to my already satisfied appetite.'

I had long forgotten the phrase - thanks for the reminder!

tanith Thu 05-Jul-12 13:23:18

I was talking to a friend about picking up a car from Godfrey Davis many years ago, my sister who happened to hear, said " oh I had to go to the solicitor to do that, " Huh!! she was talking about swearing an affidavit ..

Greatnan Thu 05-Jul-12 13:31:03

'Elegant sufficiency' was the phrase used by the ladies of Cranford in Mrs. Gaskell's charming novel.

distaffgran Fri 06-Jul-12 08:56:26

One of DH's great aunts from Yorkshire used to have an "ample sufficiency." Which sort of makes sense, but then again doesn't.

Annobel Fri 06-Jul-12 08:57:58

My dad's version of that was 'an elegant sufficiency' which makes more sense.

Hunt Fri 06-Jul-12 09:27:11

My Dad's version was ''an elephant sit on me'' which is actually often what you feel like when you have eaten too much!

Annobel Fri 06-Jul-12 10:24:48

Hunt, I think I like that one better!

Mamie Fri 06-Jul-12 10:32:24

I thought it was "an elegant sufficiency without being a vulgar superfluity".
I was once asked to check a child with poor spelling for dyspepsia.

Maniac Fri 06-Jul-12 20:43:51

One of my staff once sent a sick note saying she had an 'anal fisher'

jeni Fri 06-Jul-12 21:28:28

grin

Anagram Fri 06-Jul-12 21:32:56

I thought a 'superfluity' was the collective name for nuns!

AlisonMA Sat 07-Jul-12 11:10:28

Is it titbits or tidbits?

wisewoman Sat 07-Jul-12 18:51:12

My dad used to say "I have had a plentiful sufficiency". He also used to say "Eat up, the more you eat the bigger the dividend" - co-op dividend I think,

Stansgran Sat 07-Jul-12 19:49:46

And the number of men who go to be checked for their prostrate to be checked

jeni Sat 07-Jul-12 19:55:53

And don't forget the people who have cardiac hearts and gastric stomachs. Also those who've ' come with their back'
Or my mother who confused eject with ejaculate!

deserving Wed 29-Aug-12 16:25:35

Parotsetamol, Hammerlillies,Tajeties, and feenomeena, things often uttered by an elderly gentleman of my acquaintance .
hmm

Nanadogsbody Wed 29-Aug-12 16:42:50

The old lady who lives next door asked me to help take her decorative plates down from her 'dildo rail' as the room was to be redecorated! grin

Greatnan Wed 29-Aug-12 17:00:12

Were they well hung, dogsbody?