Gransnet forums

Pedants' corner

bless him!

(60 Posts)
syberia Thu 01-Dec-11 09:38:11

My OH has used the phrase "damp squid" twice this morning while having a political rant, I hadn't the heart to correct him!! smile

Nanadogsbody Wed 29-Aug-12 17:19:28

greatnan!

Grannyknot Thu 30-Aug-12 08:03:44

Now this is a LOL thread! The mum of one of my boyfriends used to draw herself up, look down her nose and say "Mrs XXX thinks she is so phisticated, when she is not phisticated at all!" That was the same bf who once said to me "We are both condescending adults" ... grin

annodomini Thu 30-Aug-12 08:59:41

We couldn't rid my mother of the fixed belief that 'hoi poloi' meant posh people, even when I started studying Greek.

Greatnan Thu 30-Aug-12 09:08:03

Grannyknot - I love so phisticated. I read a lot as a child (nothing else to do in the 1940's in the back streets of Salford) so I knew many words that I had never heard pronounced. A man friend laughed at me when I told him I had 'sue-coombed' to an infection. At school, I told the English teacher in my first year at grammar school that 'ten thousand thanks' was a hyper - bowl. Actually, although she corrected me she was quite impressed. I was a very geeky kid and had done all the exercises in A Lower English Course by the end of the first week.
My mother always said 'Photo - grapher'. She had a friend who got an enormous letter.

Grannyknot Thu 30-Aug-12 12:15:32

Love this thread, should be copied to the 'this made me laugh today' one! And here's one that made me go 'aww' out loud on the train this morning - someone tweeted that their 5 year old thinks it's the "powerlympics". How sweet. And indeed it is. torch

harrigran Thu 30-Aug-12 12:56:09

Talking to a couple at the theatre who said they were real opera fans " next week we are going to see the Mickadoo " confused

whenim64 Thu 30-Aug-12 13:34:17

My mum loved 'Lez Mizerabulls' grin

Nanadogsbody Thu 30-Aug-12 15:41:03

My mother-in-law always refers to important people as 'big nobs' and we can't get her to understand that it means something totally different these days.

jeni Thu 30-Aug-12 16:18:37

I used to like Smetna's "battered bride"