Gransnet forums

Pedants' corner

Where has the word "sitting" gone

(107 Posts)
pammygran Sun 15-Jul-12 12:41:03

I had a text from a friend saying" I am SAT at the airport"..thought it should be "I am SITTING at an airport"?..also when someone says STOOD instead of STANDING...I read somewhere that this is a North/South thing? Any "Thunks"? !!

Nonu Sun 19-Aug-12 15:20:05

LOL < You know I have always liked a little flutter , Vegas springs to mind

deserving Mon 20-Aug-12 11:43:30

Thank you "bags' at last a breath of fresh air.You realise ,you must, it is apparent already, that you are stigmatised.
You have been advised that you "can take me on" That advice is indicative of the real substance , the real significance, of some previous posters. I have according to argot, been offensive, as you rightly surmise, that is a mistaken concept. I have not been "taking on" anyone, but it is demonstrably obvious that erroneously, reciprocation has been taking place. I also have been guilty of assuming English is the first language, and have, rather than posting on the subject, been explaining and/or defending.
As I am to be avoided, I may be able to post on the subject, which I have now forgotten completely, in the future.
Saw a television programme recently which depicted a death in a family, and their attempt to alleviate some of the sorrow was to joke about the deceased.We all have different ways of dealing with things.What struck me most was that near to me ,in the avenue,was a recently widowed neighbour.My thoughts were that this situation was in all probability being repeated many hundred times throughout the country.How would they feel if they saw the programme? I,m afraid the world doesn't stop, only one person knows when a sparrow falls. The rest of us just muddle through. We are privileged to be able to console a few particularly when getting paid to do so, but, as I know, the others have to take their chances.
As G.B.Shaw said,"IF a thing is funny, search it carefully for a hidden truth"
sunshine

BoomerBabe Mon 20-Aug-12 15:03:55

OK, here's another one and my pet hate at the moment: going forward.
Whatever happened to: in the future?

Nonu Mon 20-Aug-12 15:26:04

BoomerBabe are you right thread ? pls don"t think I am poking my nose in smile

Anagram Mon 20-Aug-12 15:56:56

Stigmatised? Bags? I don't think so...

Yamyam Wed 13-Feb-13 00:33:49

Gracesmum- Love the Dorothy Parker quote!