Gransnet forums

Pedants' corner

Jealous for envious

(38 Posts)
thatbags Wed 04-Dec-13 15:09:46

Has anyone else noticed how nearly everyone uses jealous nowadays when they really mean envious? Wish they wouldn't but I guess I might as well wish for the moon.

Nonu Wed 04-Dec-13 15:37:21

Hey Bags , when I read your heading I thought you were going to start a thread about out lovely friend from Memphis !!
Chortle .
Wonder how she is these days ?

thatbags Wed 04-Dec-13 15:45:32

Tell me more, nonu! That sounds like the beginning of a story smile

Grannyknot Wed 04-Dec-13 15:51:01

Nonu when I saw your post, I thought perhaps Elvis didn't understand the difference either. Seeing this is a public forum, why does the heading remind you of the lovely friend and why did it make you chortle?

Bags wish for the moon. I typed 'envy' into a Word document and hit the Thesaurus button and the following came up: jealousy, spite, greed, resentment. So blame the Thesaurus function in Word.

Lona Wed 04-Dec-13 15:54:22

I think Nonu means Envious American, the Gnetter!

Enviousamerican Wed 04-Dec-13 16:19:27

I'm in Nashville! smile

Aka Wed 04-Dec-13 16:27:26

Close enough. Knew it was something musical tchwink

Aka Wed 04-Dec-13 16:29:06

Or should it be tchenvy to like to the OP which seems to have got last?

thatbags Wed 04-Dec-13 16:34:50

Pardon, aka? I don't follow you.

Aka Wed 04-Dec-13 16:43:05

So what's new Bags?

Aka Wed 04-Dec-13 16:45:06

Or should it be tchenvy to link to the OP which seems to have got lost tchhmm

thatbags Wed 04-Dec-13 16:54:25

Still not following you. There is no link nor was there ever intended to be. The OP is just a remark I made after noticing the almost universal use of jealous (e.g. on Twitter where i notice it most) where i think envious is what is meant.

thatbags Wed 04-Dec-13 16:56:17

I do try to be clear and unconvoluted.

Really smiling at your pun now, nonu smile

thatbags Wed 04-Dec-13 16:59:31

So, aka, there is no underlying meaning or dig at anyone in the OP. Any 'dig' is simple pedantry at a certain diction in common use. Puzzlement rather than a dig really, as why use a word that has a meaning otherthan envious when envious is more straightforward? [thinking out loud]

Aka Wed 04-Dec-13 17:00:38

It just proves that we have very different thought processes Bags. I tend to make quantum leaps whereas you worship at the altar of logic. My comment was, to me, 'logical' as the little green emoticon is 'envy'. But don't let it fash you it's not really important.

Aka Wed 04-Dec-13 17:01:54

Again, I've left out a step... your OP ... Jealousy v Envy?

Atqui Wed 04-Dec-13 17:04:11

No doubt the two words will be allowed to be synonymous in the same way that 'literally' is now included in the dictionary in its current popular usage by the (mainly) young ,apparently ,e.g. I literally died!

Elegran Wed 04-Dec-13 17:06:13

I got lost somewhere there too. Still am.

As it is pedants' corner can I test this as a defintion of jealous v envious?

You are jealous of what you have and fear someone may take away from you.
You are envious of what someone else has and would like to take it away from them.

Atqui Wed 04-Dec-13 17:14:20

Aka, not important but I didn't understand it either!!! confused

Nonu Wed 04-Dec-13 17:16:06

Ooops, Envious Nashville NOT Memphis , silly old me !

I CAN do puns with the best of them Bags when the mood strikes , trouble is it does not strike that often !

Anyway all"s well that ends well . heyho !

tchgrin

Atqui Wed 04-Dec-13 17:17:00

not sure being envious means you want to take something away from anyone, just that you' d like it yourself; whereas if you are jealous you are afraid someone else is replacing you in another person's affections.I think !

thatbags Wed 04-Dec-13 17:17:18

The example that made me post the OP was, now i think about it, on Facebook, not Twitter, as it happens. A friend of mine posted on FB that he'd been to a concert by some band or other and one of his friends commented that she was "so jealous". I thought: she means she's envious.

But as atqui says, the meanings will morph and jealous will come to mean envious because that's how most people use it.

Then i start wondering how long it will take before only pedants use 'envious' when they mean envious.

Has disinterested lost the battle yet? Pretty much, I reckon. It's a shame to lose words, but i suppose we are making them up too.

Sorry about the small i. The way my iPad capitals work has changed and I haven't quite got the finger timing right yet. Fed up of correcting though.

thatbags Wed 04-Dec-13 17:18:19

Off to Cubs shortly. Have fun being pedantic.

Aka Wed 04-Dec-13 17:19:36

Atqui ce ne fait rien tchgrin Nonu

Atqui Wed 04-Dec-13 17:21:48

As you probably noticed I too have trouble with capital I and can't always get the curser in the right place to change it