Gransnet forums

Pedants' corner

A grammar lesson needed.

(49 Posts)
Nelliemoser Tue 08-Jul-14 10:06:20

Pedantic help please
This was on a menu I was looking at earlier.
"Buffet A £6.95
Selection of Sandwiches
Warm Sausage Rolls
Warm Vegetarian Quiche

Mixed "Leave" Salad Further down the menu was
Mixed Leaves Salad!

They both screamed wrong grammar at me, I know it was not right. I know this could have been " A mixed leaf salad" or A salad of mixed leaves.

I think it's something to do with how the individual words are used in the sentence as in nouns, verbs or adjectives, but my grammar is not good enough to be able to explain why.
Or is that "mixed" and "salad" are in a category of words that imply more than one of whatever it is.
Is it something like the difference between "Two bags full" or "Two bag fulls."
I sort of know when something is glaringly wrong but not why.
Please can someone explain to me. confused

Aka Tue 08-Jul-14 10:20:27

Oh dear. I ought to be more aware but I'd be too busy deciding what I wanted to eat to worry unless it was glaringly obvious such as 'fish and chip's' as advertised by our local chip shop. But as they are the best 'chip's' for miles around I'm not going to uset them.

I'm sure someone will explain it to you Nellie

Aka Tue 08-Jul-14 10:20:56

Or even upset them!

Aka Tue 08-Jul-14 10:21:25

I see a lot worse on GN anyway hmm

Aka Tue 08-Jul-14 10:21:44

And say nowt.

Mishap Tue 08-Jul-14 10:33:03

We have just seen my DGS's first ever school report, which is full of praise, but also full of grammar and spelling errors, some of which he spotted!!

rubysong Tue 08-Jul-14 19:20:16

Nellie was it a foreign restaurant? The 'leave' (sic) salad sounds as though it could be a translation.

Aka Tue 08-Jul-14 19:30:15

Either your GS is very precocious or his first school report is long overdue Mishap grin

Nelliemoser Tue 08-Jul-14 20:25:03

No 'twas in good old Cheshire East! They serve quite good food but I cannot cope with bad spelling on menus etc.
It shows the person has not bothered to find out what is correct or to get it checked.

My spelling is not always right some of which is down to typos but I am aware I cannot spell and look up words if I am unsure.

The grammar buffs on GN must be on their holidays.

J52 Tue 08-Jul-14 20:48:07

In a cafe, I picked up a leaflet with the spelling familys as a plural! I sat and corrected them all while I drank my coffee. DH looked out of the window! X

Nelliemoser Tue 08-Jul-14 21:08:46

In A B&Q bathroom display there was a sign which suggested new taps "too compliment" your bathroom! I crossed out an o in too and made the I an e in complement.

thatbags Tue 08-Jul-14 21:46:46

I'm not sure it's a grammar thing so much as a usage thing.

We say fruit salad rather than fruits salad so leaf salad seems right too, or salad of leaves. One could talk about a salad of fruits and leaves but would one talk of a fruits and leaves salad?

Dried mixed fruit is what you see on a packet of such. A mix of dried fruits would be grammatically correct too.

Those are my thoughts anyhow.

thatbags Tue 08-Jul-14 21:47:32

Fruit and leaf salad?? Possibly.

Aka Tue 08-Jul-14 22:26:04

Shoots and leaves!

Ana Tue 08-Jul-14 22:29:53

Salad.

jinglbellsfrocks Tue 08-Jul-14 22:36:15

What is wrong with mixed leaves salad? Sounds alright to me.

#ignoramus

annodomini Tue 08-Jul-14 22:36:26

Fruit and leaf salad - main course and pudding all in one! 'Mixed leaf' or 'mixed leaves' would be, IMO, perfectly understandable. However, 'leave' means something completely different... obviously.

Mishap Wed 09-Jul-14 09:27:25

Aka - he is precocious! - he is 5 and reads anything!

A good reason for the teacher to watch her grammar!

His report also said he had no special educational needs - I am not sure that I agree with her: special needs can be at both ends of the spectrum.

One of the problems is that he is sent off to the school library to get his daily reading book, as the books in the classroom are too easy, and he comes home with books that he can read, but I am not always sure he should read - the concepts are often a bit worrying, e.g. extreme sports, gruesome body parasites etc. The sort of things 11 year old boys relish, but not really suitable reading for a 5 year old, who, apart from his obvious intelligence, is still a little boy, with all the fantasies and fears of his true chronological age.

Aka Wed 09-Jul-14 09:35:59

Always a difficult one Mishap finding suitable reading material for a young reader with exceptional ability, especially when no one a there to physically guide him in his choice.

I think a little word with his teacher is called for as she or he ought to be monitoring the suitability of his reading choice?

Mishap Wed 09-Jul-14 10:14:44

I agree aka - but he's not my boy, so it is not my decision! The grandparent dilemma in a nutshell! I try and find opportunities to make the right comments, in a gentle way.

jinglbellsfrocks Wed 09-Jul-14 11:45:37

Oh, come right out with it Mishap! Something like, "should he be reading that stuff?" Or, "have you seen that book he's got there?"

Maybe they haven't noticed.

HollyDaze Wed 09-Jul-14 11:56:09

The 'f' v 'v' thing I've noticed a fair bit over the last few years in the UK. A pantomime I saw advertised (at the panto house) was 'Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs'. Another sign I saw also spelt 'leaves' as 'leafs'. I even saw a poster announcing the 'upcoming play of The Merry Wifes of Windsor'!

Ana Wed 09-Jul-14 12:09:05

But 'dwarfs' is correct, HollyDaze.

Aka Wed 09-Jul-14 12:28:29

Loco parentis and all that? If he's reading them at your house or where you're around do say something. Quite like jingl's 'should he be reading that stuff?' ...direct and to the point.

I was summoned in by my 3-year old GS's nursery teacher the other day (I generally do the school / nursery run) as he'd been playing rather roughly. He got a dressing down from me in front of her and a bollocking when I got him in the car. It was on my 'watch' so my rules apply.

Aka Wed 09-Jul-14 12:29:07

That was to Mishap