Gransnet forums

Pedants' corner

It's a baby - not a newborn!

(50 Posts)
Sillyoldbird Tue 25-Aug-15 13:14:31

Is anyone else irritated by people referring to their child by their age rather than son/daughter/child/by their name? For example, "I am taking my newborn/1 year old to the clinic today", rather than "I am taking the baby/Jimmy/my daughter to the clinic today" .

It seems to have become rather a habit lately and it annoys me beyond belief. Newborn is an adjective, not a noun! I can't think why it annoys me so much other than the grammar - and because it makes the child sound like an object instead of a person. I'm ok if they say "newborn baby" but not just "newborn".

I also don't like it when asking the age of a child, somone replies, "21 months) instead of 1 or nearly 2. Why do they have to be so precise?

With both things, I think it comes across as a bit smug/superior. Grrrrrrr.

Perhaps it's just me? I am a easily irritated these days.

Sillyoldbird Tue 25-Aug-15 13:16:13

Sorry about typos by the way. blush

ninathenana Tue 25-Aug-15 13:28:21

I've never thought about it to be honest. However, I do see your point regarding the first part of your post.
There is such a difference developmentally between 12 and 24months I understand people saying 16mths or what ever. Babies clothes are sized in months up to the age of 2 so perhaps that's a factor.

merlotgran Tue 25-Aug-15 13:31:18

What really bothers me is small children being referred to as 'tots' by the media.

SineDie Tue 25-Aug-15 13:33:10

Or 'cuties' ugh

annsixty Tue 25-Aug-15 13:43:55

Most of the ones I "read " about are adorable.

ninathenana Tue 25-Aug-15 14:57:36

'tots' and 'cuties' is preferable to 'kids' IMHO but what's wrong with babies and children angry

Teetime Tue 25-Aug-15 15:05:38

My pet hate is saying 'Jonnie turned 2 ' or whatever age he has now become and don't get me started on 'falling pregnant'.

Sillyoldbird Tue 25-Aug-15 15:52:06

Perhaps it's just me? I am a grumpy so-and-so when I want to be.

But it's not that I have a problem with anyone referring to babies or children, as in "my child/baby did this" but categorising them by age, ie "my newborn did this, my one year-old did that" really gets on my nerves for some reason.

I don't even have a problem with tots, kids, little-one etc.

In terms of the x months thing - I can't understand why people can't just say nearly two or just turned 1. I can understand when they've not reached one year yet, but I've even heard people say 32 months! Why do they need to be so precisce?

Oh good lord, I think I need to chill out.

thatbags Tue 25-Aug-15 15:58:26

'Turning' an age is Scottish English so get used to it or someone will tell you you're being racist. I won't. I'll just tell you to stop being silly.

I like the word 'kids' and use it a lot.

And I think speaking of a very young person's age in months is extremely sensible.

Plenty of adjectives have become nouns.

Maybe you need some anti-irritableness lessons.

thatbags Tue 25-Aug-15 16:00:26

This kind of complaint isn't pedantry, it's irritable pickiness because other people say things in different ways from you.

Marmight Tue 25-Aug-15 16:04:50

'We are pregnant' annoys me - We are not pregnant, we might be expecting a baby together, but she is pregnant

Indinana Tue 25-Aug-15 16:05:22

Up to the age of 2, I'm sure it's always been the norm to refer to a child's age by months - a 14 month old is very different developmentally from an 18 month old. Certainly when my children were that age - 40 years ago - everyone I knew referred to their under twos in terms of how many months old they were, not years (or nearly years).
Yes, an 18 month old could be referred to as a 1 and a half year old, but personally I don't think it matters a jot if 18 month old is the term used.

janerowena Tue 25-Aug-15 16:15:46

I think it helps you to get a picture in your mind. It explains why they are doing what the person is trying to explain ie., 'my baby managed to open the oven door'. You would be a bit shocked if they then went on to say it was six months old, not fourteen. It assumes that you are interested. Maybe that is the problem. grin

Sillyoldbird Tue 25-Aug-15 17:26:12

Maybe the problem is that I'm not a pedant but an irritable picky person as thatbags says? But perhaps, in saying that, thatbags is being pedantic? Or perhaps I'm being pedantic pointing it out? Who knows/cares?

Anyway I don't think I need anti-irritabileness lessons. I am grumpy but quite lovely too most of the time. grin

Anyway, didn't mean to annoy anyone - just a bit of sillyness. Just off to tend to my newborn and my 21 month old now (which obviously don't exist) wink

thatbags Tue 25-Aug-15 19:08:56

smile

Luckygirl Tue 25-Aug-15 19:58:27

My DDs would say "Take a chill pill!" grin

rosesarered Tue 25-Aug-15 19:58:51

I don't mind any of the above words or terms, but can't stand the word ' kiddies'.

TerriBull Tue 25-Aug-15 20:14:40

Kids I like and use, but "kiddies" yes rosesarered, I agree, it's horribly coy.

Indinana Tue 25-Aug-15 20:21:43

What about 'kiddiwinks'? grin

thatbags Tue 25-Aug-15 20:29:05

kiddo(e)s?

Sillyoldbird Tue 25-Aug-15 21:17:20

Chabbies, bairns and nippers?!

Sillyoldbird Tue 25-Aug-15 21:18:09

Kiddies and kiddiewinks are awful BTW

Solitaire Wed 26-Aug-15 11:14:19

Perhaps the reason for the age description is to ' paint a picture' ( hate the expression but can't think of an alternative ��) and 'children' is appropriate until 'teen' or ' young man/woman' is what I tend to use. Working in Child Protection for 30 years colours my view, but 'kids' no way! they're young goats....having said that hmm

Anne58 Wed 26-Aug-15 11:26:20

Yes, kids are young goats, but some of us are called Nanny! (not me, though) grin

On the subject of animals, the phrase "baby lambs" really gets my goat!