Gransnet forums

Pedants' corner

Swear words

(130 Posts)
thatbags Sat 18-Mar-17 13:07:23

Are 'shite', 'sucks', and 'boobs' swear words?

Chewbacca Sat 18-Mar-17 13:18:32

Nah! smile

LadyGracie Sat 18-Mar-17 13:19:10

Not in my book although I'm not too keen on 'shite', but my posh DS says it so it can't be bad!

Riverwalk Sat 18-Mar-17 13:21:35

Shite, yes

Sucks, no

Boobs, no. I remember when I first this around 1972 and it seemed soooo American!

baubles Sat 18-Mar-17 13:23:23

I think not. I've been known to say 'that sucks' and my grandchildren refer to boobs when talking about breastfeeding.

I've never uttered the first though as it sounds much worse than 'shit' to me. No idea why.

hildajenniJ Sat 18-Mar-17 13:46:42

I dislike the word shite, but don't have a problem with sucks, or boobs. My DGS 3 referred to breast milk as booby juice for quite a long time ?.

morethan2 Sat 18-Mar-17 13:57:45

No but then I don't mind the odd swear word. I'm a little less tolerant of
"for gods sake" or "Jesus Christ " but realise what might offend one person wouldn't necessarily offend another.

Ana Sat 18-Mar-17 14:05:34

I don't class any of those three as swear words, although 'shite' isn't a word I use myself.

I have been known to mutter 'shit' when severely provoked though (usually by some inanimate object!)

whitewave Sat 18-Mar-17 14:08:40

Oh ana I've read you saying much worse than that in capital initials!!!!

Ana Sat 18-Mar-17 14:10:31

We're talking about the words in the OP, whitewave...hmm

Christinefrance Sat 18-Mar-17 14:11:26

I agree shite sounds like a swear word but the other two are fine. I dislike the use of religious phrases used as swearing.
I really hate the 'c' word.

Maggiemaybe Sat 18-Mar-17 14:23:38

No, I wouldn't call any of these swearing, particularly sucks.

pensionpat Sat 18-Mar-17 14:26:45

My vacuum cleaner sucks. Time for a new one!

BlueBelle Sat 18-Mar-17 14:32:21

No shite is a bit vulgar but still useful, shit is an older word and sounds harsher while shite is a newer play on it just like the Irish feck has become the new f ... a lot of the time
boobs is an almost childlike term
sucks is much much of an American saying and I don't hear that used too much

None would be swear words in my books

Riverwalk Sat 18-Mar-17 14:46:29

How can shite not be a swear word? grin

I mean, in polite company you wouldn't excuse yourself and go off for a shite, rather than to powder your nose - or maybe you would hmm

DanniRae Sat 18-Mar-17 14:49:18

I don't like to hear the word shite - I do say feck if I am really provoked but I really can't stand the "C" word. If people say it in front of me I ask that they stop angry

Christinefrance Sat 18-Mar-17 16:37:36

Riverwalk that made me laugh grin

rosesarered Sat 18-Mar-17 16:54:36

I agree with you Bluebelle
I don't say shite or sucks though, but they are not swear words.

mcem Sat 18-Mar-17 16:56:14

Waiting at a bus stop last week and chatting to very quiet lttle old lady we noticed that 2 elderly gentlemen arrived. One was swearing very loudly f'ing and blinding with gusto. Little old lady looked uncomfortable as did the sweary man's companion.
I turned to him and told him in my best teacher voice that my son and his friends would never use language like that in front of ladies and I'd appreciate it if he'd desist immediately! He did. His companion apologised and little old lady thanked me.
I enjoyed that!!

rosesarered Sat 18-Mar-17 16:56:40

I don't think that our generation swears much at all, compared to younger ones.
DH doesn't ever swear but I do now and again.grin

gillybob Sat 18-Mar-17 17:02:40

I often talk a load of "shite" thatbags but it's not a word I use in conversation. I do sometimes say shit though, and once made the very big mistake of saying it in the earshot of DGC and they have never let me live it down . As soon as DDiL walked in the door there was a chorus from the 2 girls of " mummy, guess what? grandma said a really bad word" closely followed by " yes grandma said shit" From
DGS blush

JackyB Sat 18-Mar-17 17:14:00

I don't think the criterion "you wouldn't say it in company" necessarily means that it's a swear word. There are things I wouldn't say to people I don't know well which are quite acceptable words - in a certain context (mostly medical!)

Greyduster Sat 18-Mar-17 17:15:12

My DH never says anything more sweary than 'bloody', but I have been known to let loose the odd pearler in my time blush, though not in public. Of the words in question, I don't really consider any of them to be swear words as such, but I don't like the word "shite" at all and would never use it.

Riverwalk Sat 18-Mar-17 17:38:03

roses you must move in louche circles!

As a rough round the edges city-girl even I think shite is a swear word. grin

ninathenana Sat 18-Mar-17 18:09:29

Out and about I say sugar rather than shit at home I can cuss with the best of them usually sod or bugger grin I use f'in rather than the 'f' word when realy annoyed . I have never used the 'c' word. I hate it.
Sucks and boobs definitly not swearing IMO