Gransnet forums

Pedants' corner

Slovenly speech, incorrect grammar etc.

(156 Posts)
NanKate Mon 05-Mar-18 14:49:15

The DJ Steve Wright is appalling with his slovenly speech. He usually starts his Love Songs programmes with a long drawn out L O.

Yesterday I switched off when he said in response to a song finishing 'Don't that sound good' so his grammar is rubbish too.

Some presenters leave the g off ing and add a k, as in somethink.

I could go on but I won't.

Over to you.

Maggieanne Thu 08-Mar-18 10:05:18

Like, I was well, like listening like, to this like, chap on Radio 4 like, I think he was like, called Jay Brave like, and I just wanted to like, throw the radio like, out of the like window, like, but I didn't, I just like, turned it off. aaarrgh. How about someone being very pacific about something!

Nelliemoser Thu 08-Mar-18 10:07:42

I can more or less forgive people being interviewed live when they make small grammatic errors.
If you are faced with a sudden question and are trying to get your point across you might often have to rephrase what you were saying and do not quite get it right. This is not acceptable in written work.

As for written stuff, the like of which we some times get on GN, with no proper word spacing and commas between words, I despair.*the words are crammed together. with,dots, and no.word.spacing.this'makes.the.written'post unreadable.*

Added to this there is often no paragraphing. Faced with a post with the words crammed together as described, I CBA to read it, if the poster CBA to write it properly in the first place.

sue01 Thu 08-Mar-18 10:09:16

My pet hates... apart from wrap up warm....
are hoshpitool... and reshteraunt.

Oh and gud instead of good.

And just one more..... people asking, can I get a coffee.

keriku Thu 08-Mar-18 10:15:53

My particularly hate is "yous" eg We'd like to invite yous to our prize bingo night!

Tessa101 Thu 08-Mar-18 10:18:49

Oh I’m scared to comment now in case I get it wrong. Lol

carolyn12 Thu 08-Mar-18 10:22:28

Youse. Grr - "you" is singular AND plural.

"Generally" instead of "genuinely", as in "I generally like you".

annifrance Thu 08-Mar-18 10:23:41

Now look, you know I don't, like, like, or, like, I'm good, and, you know, glottal stops. It's all, like, lazy speak and, like, not being able to, you know, string a sentence together, like, without like needing something to, you know, give you, like, breathing space. Know wha' I mean?

Kim19 Thu 08-Mar-18 10:26:28

Febury.

MissAdventure Thu 08-Mar-18 10:26:52

I think I'm a glottal stopper. blush I didn't realise it was frowned upon until very recently, and I was never coached out of it.
I expect my teachers did it too..

Overthehills Thu 08-Mar-18 10:38:16

Yes Nellie, I now scroll past ...
Lots of the above annoy me but yous drives me nuts!

eazybee Thu 08-Mar-18 10:44:08

Children asking 'can I go toilet' or even worse, 'can I do toilet' drove me to distraction, often on their way to the Libery.

Eddieslass Thu 08-Mar-18 10:44:35

Jeremy Paxman on University Challenge should know better than say "The next set of bonuses ARE on...." Set is singular and so it should be "IS".

Mapleleaf Thu 08-Mar-18 10:46:42

“Sort of “ irritates me! ( Along with quite a lot things already mentioned on here).
Starting a sentence with “so” is another bugbear.

Nanny27 Thu 08-Mar-18 10:48:02

Recent post on eBay 'Chesterdraws' . Just had to laugh.

Missfoodlove Thu 08-Mar-18 10:49:04

I am astonished at the “was” instead of were.
I was once speaking to a young graduate with a Masters in English and a PGCE, she was struggling to find a job and I offered her a few pointers, she thanked me and then said “ was you a teacher”. Speechless

JanaNana Thu 08-Mar-18 10:52:44

So many spring to mind. Words such as ..something..nothing..being pronounced ending with a K. We brought a new car today!...instead of bought. And of off...I have noticed this much more living in the south than the north, is it a southern expression? Also starting a sentence begining with So... Think I had better go now in case I drop a clanger as well!

Nanny27 Thu 08-Mar-18 10:58:11

What do others think about hearing theatre pronounced 'thee-etre' im not sure whether or not it is incorrect but it sounds really awkward to my ears?

Blinko Thu 08-Mar-18 10:59:39

I wonder if for some people, 'So' has replaced 'Well' when starting a sentence.

elfies Thu 08-Mar-18 10:59:47

TV presenters speaking of Drawrings

janeainsworth Thu 08-Mar-18 11:01:52

Hi NonnaW
Tautology is when the same thing is said using two different words, when one would have been sufficient.
In the example I gave, the word ‘originated’ means where the nerve gas came from, so adding ‘from’ wasn’t necessary.
The newsreader should simply have said ‘where the nerve gas originated’.
The meaning would have been the same and the style so much better.
It may seem pedantic (but this is Pedants’ Corner after all), but whereas in ordinary conversation, or even in a Gransnet thread other than in Pedants’ Corner, you wouldn’t notice the odd bit of tautology, I do think that BBC newsreaders should know better.

As for prepositions, it used to be taught that you shouldn’t end a sentence with a preposition, but I think it’s now accepted that it’s a rather rigid convention and it isn’t necessarily incorrect.

Maggieanne Thu 08-Mar-18 11:02:01

Nellie, Jay Brave is a "spoken word artist",! Makes you wonder.

Conni7 Thu 08-Mar-18 11:08:34

I agree with all of these, but I'm a pedant. Sometimes it's the voice as much as the grammar. I turn off some programmes because the voice grates, eg the "Cruise" series with Jane MacDonald or a past series on Cathedrals with Janet Street Porter.

barbaralynne Thu 08-Mar-18 11:08:54

I think most of my pet hates have already been mentioned. A new person joined a group I go to, a retired teacher. She uses most of these constructions especially "kna wha Oi mean". I dread to think how her ex-pupils speak!

Antonia Thu 08-Mar-18 11:09:20

The superfluous use of the word 'like' really irritates me. Also misuse of 'there, their and they're,' which I often see on FB from a former colleague of mine (we were both teachers!)

schnackie Thu 08-Mar-18 11:11:32

Agree with all of you, especially Bradley Walsh on the Chase (makes me laugh). But don't get me started on Steve Wright. I know a lot of people think he's great but Radio 2 goes off at 2 pm, unless he's on holiday. Marmite DJ I guess wink.