Gransnet forums

Pedants' corner

Can I get?

(170 Posts)
Toddleo Thu 16-Aug-18 16:28:25

I am really irritated by this modern way of asking for things.
In a cafe for example "can I get a large latte" "can I get a toasted sandwich"
I just want to scream "NO YOU CAN'T, because you are not allowed in the kitchen/behind the counter etc...."

What is wrong with "please may I have...." Grrrr

Baggs Thu 16-Aug-18 16:49:16

I'm actually quite pedantic myself where meaning is concerned.

Baggs Thu 16-Aug-18 16:50:16

I've been told off for that a few times on GN too. Not by present company, I hasten to add.

Baggs Thu 16-Aug-18 16:51:40

I'll bugger off for the time being and leave yous (sic) in peace though.

Jalima1108 Thu 16-Aug-18 16:52:10

If I were to be serving someone who said 'I wanna get a coffee' I would be tempted to reply 'I wanna get off home but I have to serve you before I can do that' [sigh]

Jalima1108 Thu 16-Aug-18 16:52:50

You dunna have to do that duck

Day6 Thu 16-Aug-18 17:01:59

I loathe 'Can I get..?"

If I were serving I'd want to say, with emphasis, "Can I get YOU something, unless of course you want to go and get it yourself?"

We were sitting down to lunch with friends a while ago. Their lad, recently returned from University looked up the table and said "Can I get the salt and pepper?" His mother replied, "Well thanks for trying to be helpful love, but it's already on the table." His father also told him to ask for things properly, unless he really did have an urge to come and collect the salt and pepper from the far end of the table. It was all good natured and he laughed and the other young people chimed in too.

The world needs pedants! grin

mcem Thu 16-Aug-18 17:05:49

As a child I very often heard "Can I get....?"
Mum discouraged its use but outside the family it was frequently used, so not a recent thing and not an americanism.
I see it as a regional variation and unless it's reasonable to complain about all local expressions I don't see it as a problem.

pollyperkins Thu 16-Aug-18 17:06:34

Nothing personal Baggs. I dislike people correcting regional varations and idiom. I think there's a difference between that and incorrect grammar but it's a fine line!

mcem Thu 16-Aug-18 17:10:49

How do you feel about "What did you get for your birthday?"
Very common in the playground and not worth fussing about when far more serious expressions should be picked up.
BTW I hate 'yous' !

pollyperkins Thu 16-Aug-18 17:13:03

The thing that drives me absolutely potty is using 'like' instead of 'as if' - but it is almost ubiquitous now. For example I would say That animal looks like a cat (ie a noun' ) but he looks as if it's going to rain (verb). People now say 'It looks like it's going to rain.' NOO!!!

pollyperkins Thu 16-Aug-18 17:13:46

I dont see anything wrong with that mcem!!

pollyperkins Thu 16-Aug-18 17:16:19

I remember seeing Ann Widdicombe on Grumpy old women talking about using a computer. It would flash up on the screen 'It looks like you are trying to write a letter. Can I help?' She aid 'Not if that's your idea of good grammar!'

starbox Thu 16-Aug-18 17:21:03

Talking of 'get' (used in a different way) can anything beat the true dreadfulness of a mother yelling "Get here, Wayne!" at her runaway offspring?!!

Jalima1108 Thu 16-Aug-18 18:05:51

Well, better than Wayne running out into the traffic!

MissAdventure Thu 16-Aug-18 18:11:24

Get ere, nayah!

Day6 Thu 16-Aug-18 18:22:29

As a child I very often heard "Can I get....?"

Yes, "Can I get you anything?" was heard as a child, and that sort of usage is fine. The person asking the question is prepared to go and get the item.

If you request something of someone you don't suggest you'll get it yourself, as in, "Can I get a coffee?" I always imagine the would-be coffee drinker leaping over the counter to the coffee machine. grin

Baggs Thu 16-Aug-18 18:27:04

BTW I hate 'yous' !

You'd hate it in my part of Scotland then, mcem. It's used a lot in the west.

Baggs Thu 16-Aug-18 18:29:04

I'm not Scottish, except by naturalisation, but I'd think it rude to object to the way local people talk, even if I only objected inside my own head.

grumppa Thu 16-Aug-18 18:37:39

DD2 drives me mad when she says "Can I get" in Costa or Nero. Interestingly, both her children say "Please may I have?"

phoenix Thu 16-Aug-18 20:09:41

The (now dead) landlord of our local pub, if asked "can I get" would always reply, "no you can't, that's my job".

mcem Thu 16-Aug-18 20:11:23

Perhaps it wasn't clear day6 but it was very much by way of a request "Can I get an ice cream/ mars bar/ drink?" and not a synonym for fetch.
You're right baggs that it's more of a West Coast thing. Also N. Ireland.
I'm afraid it did grate when a student from
Belfast addressed my class by saying "Are yous gonna hand in your homework now?"

Baggs Thu 16-Aug-18 20:26:11

Best response, phoenix! Taking it in his stride ?

Perhaps I've been exposed to more speaking variations than people on whom some things grate. My interest is piqued when I hear a new way of saying something. It's all part of life's rich wotsit.

Jalima1108 Thu 16-Aug-18 20:35:15

Perhaps I've been exposed to more speaking variations than people on whom some things grate.
Nah!
I've spent some considerable time in Australia and they speak a different lingo there? It's a purer form of English?

mcem Thu 16-Aug-18 20:38:30

Sorry if it offends but I wasn't prepared to adapt my speech patterns (and those of my pupils) simply to show how willing I was to adopt what was a rather alien and idiosyncratic term!
Local dialect words and expressions are quite different! That would be the Doric for us but not necessarily Ulster and West coast.

Baggs Thu 16-Aug-18 22:40:56

Not offended by what you say, mcem, any more than I'm grated by how other people say things.

BTW, autocorrect wants you to be McEnroe!