Gransnet forums

Pedants' corner

Proof reading?

(78 Posts)
sodapop Mon 29-Jul-19 19:03:08

I am currently reading a thriller written by a very well known and prolific author.
The story has a thread running through it about a group of vigilantes who mete out their own justice and the group is called " The Just Deserts"

I am finding this so irritating every time it crops up in the book. What happened to proof readers ?

BradfordLass72 Wed 04-Sep-19 02:23:55

Doodle grin

The trouble with a word being used incorrectly and repeatedly is that these days, it is added to an online dictionary, giving people the idea it is correct.

I go to my 1930's comprehensive dictionary (albeit that I have to ask my son to read the tiny text) to check when I'm in doubt and the online sources are (I believe) incorrect.

To the Yorkshire members and those familiar with the county, there are many tarns - shallow lakes. I swam in them as a child but in a recent argument 'debate a 'tarn' was judged to be a puddle.

In vain did I explain the icy exploits of my youth because there, in an online dictionary it defined tarn as "a puddle".

So let's not believe the person with actual 1st hand knowledge of a tarn, eh? angry

GrannyGear Mon 07-Oct-19 17:26:29

I saw a cafe selling cakes and puddings entitled "Just Desserts". Have you thought that the wrong (?) spelling might be an indication that the vigilantes aren't very well educated?