Gransnet forums

Pedants' corner

Romanian language

(55 Posts)
Fennel Wed 25-Sep-19 09:40:09

An unusual question, hoping someone can help.
Husband has decided we need cleaning help. There are many young Romanian women round here who are good at the job and one is starting with us tomorrow.
The problem is she hardly speaks any english. So I'm thinking of making a vocabulary notebook with common words but don't know what alphabet they use - it's either from cyrillic, like Russian, or from latin.
Has anyone been involved in helping Romanians with the english language? Or any ideas?
I know the rumours about Romanians btw and will be careful. (Hope that's not racist.)

Fennel Fri 25-Oct-19 16:47:15

She came today and did a good job.
It seems that she has 2 young children in Romania living with her mother. Husband? and young brother here.
The best thing was that when she left she smiled and said " me you Mum here".

Grammaretto Fri 25-Oct-19 19:47:38

I was once an au pair in France. This thread is bringing back bad memories. I was very young and my French was school only. The Concierge at the apartment block was impatient with me and called me "Stupide" which was one word I understood.
I was sent to the shop to buy furniture polish for example.
I came back with the wrong thing. No google translate in those days.

Good luck with your Romanian. I'm sure it will be fine. She probably knows how to clean much better than many a local.

Callistemon Fri 25-Oct-19 19:58:30

Isn't it a Romance language?
If you did Latin at school that could help.

My friend had a cleaner (English) who polished the bath with Mr Sheen and my friend nearly had an accident when she went to use it, it was so slippy!

Callistemon Fri 25-Oct-19 20:03:08

Balkan country?
Oh, more difficult, as that is quite different.