Gransnet forums

Pedants' corner

Gloves & Brollies: what have men got against them?

(60 Posts)
Margs Sat 15-Feb-20 10:46:33

In the inclement weather of Winter I've seen so very many men walking along with their fists dug into the wholly inadequate pockets of their jackets when a pair of gloves would be the much better option. Is it 'manly' to encourage frostbite?

Also, when the rain is practically horizontal it's rare to see a man using an umbrella. Most women rarely go out without one, as umbrellas and caution are second nature to us.

Do men feel that being seen with - horror! - gloves or an umbrella would compromise their machismo rating?

Any theories as to why men find both the above items anathema?

4allweknow Sun 16-Feb-20 10:55:23

Umbrellas only in wide open places,, not busy streets. Useless when windy though some people don't seem to realise this. Gloves when cold but are a nuisance ensuring I don't lose one. A lot of men don't bother with hair now or it is cropped very short so imagine rain doesn't bother them like it used to with their well gelled styles.

GrannyAnnie2010 Sun 16-Feb-20 10:56:13

I use umbrellas - I don't share mine in the rain as I think that those who don't carry one is because they don't want to use one.
I also use an umbrella in the summer, as a sunshade. I do get lots of odd looks but rather that than a hat and sunscreen.

Oopsadaisy3 Sun 16-Feb-20 10:59:28

DH succumbed to the weather yesterday and put on a baseball cap to take the dog out, not much use I would have thought, no gloves though and def no umbrella, but it was blowing a gale.

I wear fingerless gloves that (strangely) keep my fingers very warm, as big woolly hat and a scarf, I’m unrecognisable when I go out.

Saggi Sun 16-Feb-20 11:05:24

I Hate umbrellas with a vengeance.... all those folk cowering under one and never looking where they are going. I would snatch the umbrellas and shove them where the sun dont shine ! Water drip ,drip ,dripping down your upstretched hand and arm...yuk! Give me a waterproof coat with big pockets and a hood big enough to wear a warm Woolley hat under. Good idea ....ban the things!

Chestnut Sun 16-Feb-20 11:09:17

I think a lot of people can't be bothered with carrying extra bits and bobs. Umbrellas can be a nuisance if you then have to carry them around somewhere. I usually wear a waterproof coat and hood and have a warm one for cold weather. Much easier than carrying an umbrella, although I sometimes take my Fulton birdcage umbrella if it's really pouring. The Queen has one in every colour to match her outfits! They are great if you get right inside and you can see through them too.

Phoebes Sun 16-Feb-20 11:11:04

I think our postmen have a bet on to see who can last longest in shorts!

Bijou Sun 16-Feb-20 11:49:22

I am told that Post people wear shorts rather than have wet trousers flapping round their legs.
My son wears a bobble hat because he is thin on the top now.and always gloves. I cannot use an umbrella on the scooter but have to wear gloves because hands don’t get much circulation on the scooter.

Tickledpink Sun 16-Feb-20 11:52:12

I asked DH why he rarely wore gloves. He recently tripped and couldn’t get his hands out in time. He never uses an umbrella, unless he’s with me. It seems those things are for us women!

Thecatshatontgemat Sun 16-Feb-20 12:37:08

H1954. With you on that one, as l am short too, and always have to avoid people's elbows as well.

Instead of banning umbrellas, pop into your local butchers and get half a dozen cows/sheep eyeballs and pop them on the end of your spokes.
I think you will find you have a clear path then to where you want to go........

Maxblank Sun 16-Feb-20 13:49:55

As a man, I don't use a brolly, and never really have. They're cumbersome, they get blown around if there's a slight breeze, and apart from the head, you still get wet.

Plus trying to hold on to a brolly while pushing my rollator, just doesn't work!

Also, nothing worse than a bunch of little women walking around with brollies, trying to take your eye out! It's bad enough when raining, but to have to try to dodge all those brollies makes it worse.

Now for.gloves, I wear mine as soon as the weather n temp drops. I'm very borderline Raynaud Syndrome, and even in the summer, I wear fingerless gloves if it's a cool day.

For the rain, I wear my trilby, and I have approx 6 different ones for winter, and 4 summer hats.

Mostly men can't be bothered with brollies, and as for.gloves... they're just idiots! lol

lovebeigecardigans1955 Sun 16-Feb-20 15:40:08

My dear late husband would never use a brolly (he said they were 'a bit jessie' - make of that what you will, but he was happy to hold one over the two of us.
He wore a cycling cap and gloves on his bike, otherwise he'd never wear a hat unless the weather was really extreme. On very sunny days he'd wear a plain baseball cap due to the glare when he was driving his lorry.
Yesterday I saw a dog walker in flip-flops in the cold and the wet, shorts too.

AlisonKF Sun 16-Feb-20 16:46:07

Like your correspondent with insufficient hands, I now need to use two trekking poles to keep my balance so umbrellas are impossible. However, when I used them I always had a windproof one which acted as a shield in the face of horizontal rain. Hoods are largely useless on women's jackets as they are cut so that they fall over one's eyes - dangerous. I have had to throw away several matching hoods of this type. I would like a separate hood which fastens close to the face. Maybe the frozen chicken pleated plastic hair cover will come back into vogue, but I doubt it. As for men, only a minority have any interest in their hair being ruined by rain. Real men like soldiers have to stand in rows no matter what the weather.

Nanny41 Sun 16-Feb-20 18:33:06

Oh dear, I think I am in trouble with GN,s I hardly ever wear gloves, we live in Sweden and it is usually very cold but gloves I hate, however today with the storm around I did succumb to gloves and a woolly hat, never use those either, umbrella no use today,as I am not keen on them either I was pleased. I did look like a Martian as I was so covered up, nobody would have recognised me,I took the bus as I didnt dare to drive.I sympathise with the men being called allsorts for not wearing gloves or using unbrellas.

Callistemon Sun 16-Feb-20 18:35:34

Perhaps we could stick Velcro on our foreheads and on the hood so the hood doesn't fall over our eyes.
It could setma fashion trend.

I like wearing my gloves!

GreenGran78 Sun 16-Feb-20 19:23:06

I have an umbrella in my car boot, but can’t remember when I last used it. Being only 5ft tall, using it makes me a public hazard, and I find them such a nuisance.
I also hate juggling with gloves. I’m almost tempted to sew a string on them and thread them through my sleeves, as I used to do with the childrens’ mittens.
Hats are a necessary pain in the cold weather. I have tried on many styles, but look a mess in all of them, while my daughter can slap anything on her head and look like a model. Keeping warm is the main thing, though. No-one, except me, really cares what I look like.

GreenGran78 Sun 16-Feb-20 19:24:48

I should add that I have yet to find s hood that does a good job. They either blow off at the least gust of wind or sit too far forward or back.

lemongrove Sun 16-Feb-20 19:50:16

My umbrella accompanies me everywhere I go ?
Gloves if going for a walk, but not if out in the High St in and out of shops.
DH has a very expensive umbrella which he rarely uses, and
Hardly bothers with gloves either ( and then says he is cold.)
So, in that respect he does fit the stereotype.Nor will he ever wear a scarf, and only wears a hat when it’s absolutely freezing.He does, however wear a warm coat and not the short fleece jacket most men seem to sport these days for every occasion.

Grandad1943 Sun 16-Feb-20 19:51:26

I can only speak for myself being one of the few men on the forum. However, I would not ever dream of carrying or using an umbrella and along with that, I have hoods on my weatherproof jackets that I also hardly ever use.

If the weather is good and I know I am definitely going to be in the office for the entire day I then like to walk to work and if it is a cold morning I will wear gloves, but that is normally the only occasions.

In my case in regard to wearing or carrying garments, it probably goes back to when I was a truck driver many decades back. At that time I became somewhat "weather hardened" often getting soaked or literally frozen loading or unloading the vehicles in the open at which times it was difficult to be wearing heavy garments.

That said, many other men seem to adopt the same attitude to wet weather gear as I do, but it is not a subject that we ever seem to discuss among ourselves?

Disneyfan Sun 16-Feb-20 21:58:56

My daughter and I were talking about this recently having seen to males walking around in shorts and flip flops in freezing wind and rain. Madness.

TrendyNannie6 Sun 16-Feb-20 23:51:12

I wear gloves if it’s really cold. I also take a umbrella a wind proof one. But even so it still manages to blow inside out. Yes must admit they are a nuisance.last time I wore a coat with a hood attached I was crossing the road and when I looked left I was looking in my hood hahaha,

MawB Mon 17-Feb-20 04:14:56

There may be no connection whatsoever, but I remember the sex talk we had in the school gym about a hundred years ago from a very tweedy woman doctor. (Can I say “tweedy” ?)
She advised us gels that a pair of stout leather gloves and a pointy umbrella were essentials for repelling unwelcome male attention! gringrin

travelsafar Mon 17-Feb-20 07:39:33

I use both but my DH no!!!! He goes out in the cold then moans his hands are cold. If its raining he just doesnt go out!!!

Purplepoppies Mon 17-Feb-20 07:49:37

Another walking stick user who struggles with an umbrella and stick and a handbag!
I find gloves difficult with my stick aswell, even gloves with a grip. Luckily I'm usually a warm person.
I finally gave in a bought a coat with a hood (doesn't fit with my style ?) but living in Auld Reekie I need it!!

craftergran Mon 17-Feb-20 07:52:38

My DH keeps a couple of brollies in the car and he uses them if it isn't windy. I have a brolly in the house and if I pop to the corner shop in the rain, I put my hat on and stick my hands in my fleece lined pockets and leave the brolly and gloves at home.
I prefer a hat, keeps my "flyaway" type hair in place and is warmer.

goldenshred Mon 17-Feb-20 07:57:41

Don't possess an umbrella, and only use gloves when its freezing.