Gransnet forums

Pedants' corner

Gloves & Brollies: what have men got against them?

(60 Posts)
Margs Sat 15-Feb-20 10:46:33

In the inclement weather of Winter I've seen so very many men walking along with their fists dug into the wholly inadequate pockets of their jackets when a pair of gloves would be the much better option. Is it 'manly' to encourage frostbite?

Also, when the rain is practically horizontal it's rare to see a man using an umbrella. Most women rarely go out without one, as umbrellas and caution are second nature to us.

Do men feel that being seen with - horror! - gloves or an umbrella would compromise their machismo rating?

Any theories as to why men find both the above items anathema?

NfkDumpling Mon 17-Feb-20 07:58:21

My DH wears gloves when it’s cold and has on occasion used a brolly.

What I can’t persuade him to use is a shopping trolley. (He cooks, so he food shops locally.) All the ladies around here use them to bring shopping home, but none of the men. They all struggle with heavy bags. So much more macho!

jeanrobinson Sun 13-Sep-20 16:34:56

I love those domed, transparent umbrellas - wonderful when you have just had your hair done and it decides to blow a gale and pour outside.

MawB2 Sun 13-Sep-20 17:08:18

Paw always wore a hat and latterly, when he needed a stick, a brolly have been no use.
Personally I hate trying not to get my eye poked out by people who seem to assume their brolly gives them right if way.
But I suppose it constitutes social distancing? .

grannyrebel7 Mon 28-Sep-20 18:54:55

I hate to see a man wielding an umbrella. There's something a bit unmanly 8about that to me. Gloves are ok though.

Jaxjacky Mon 28-Sep-20 19:05:08

Jillybird using gloves against Covid advise is not, they just transfer, unless you wash and antibac...wash hands!
If it’s really cold, husband will wear gloves, if chucking down, uses hood on coat.

Chewbacca Mon 28-Sep-20 19:34:59

Umbrellas are the work of the devil. They either poke you in the eye as they go past you, or ram themselves inside out whilst you battle the elements trying to get them back, or they drip icy cold water down the back of your neck. I'm not surprised that left luggage offices have more umbrellas as items of lost property than any other item. They're lost deliberately!

Spangler Tue 29-Sep-20 07:29:38

grannyrebel7

I hate to see a man wielding an umbrella. There's something a bit unmanly 8about that to me. Gloves are ok though.

Sigh! That's me off your Christmas card list.

Witzend Sun 18-Oct-20 10:03:57

He’s a bit different now, but for more years than I care to remember dh would never wear a warm coat or jacket however cold it was. He didn’t even possess a proper coat. I think he did possess some sort of inner central heating, but even so....

One Christmas I bought him a properly warm wool winter coat and he did actually wear it, usually over a thin business suit.
Memorably he said, ‘It’s actually rather nice being warm!’ ?

However he wouldn’t take it when later making a business trip to somewhere like Lithuania in the depths of winter when he knew the temp was about minus 20. Of course he then had to go and buy something locally - v annoying!

MamaCaz Sun 18-Oct-20 12:56:29

Have any of you ever read Gervase Phinn's tales recounting the (mostly) amusing incidents he experienced as a school inspector?

This thread reminds me of one of them. It is many years since I read it, so I don't recall the exact details, but it was along the lines of the following:

One day, he was assessing a group of children. One 'test' involved showing them a picture in which there was something that wasn't quite right (it might have been that some clothes drying on a line were blowing the opposite direction from something else, but I'm not sure).
Anyway, he was showing the picture to one young northern lad, who stared at it for ages.

When asked again if he could spot anything odd, the boy replied "Aye - there's a mister wi' a brolly!"

That was the gist of it, anyway ?