Gransnet forums

Pedants' corner

A shocker from our MP! (NB, for pedants only!)

(91 Posts)
Witzend Mon 22-Jun-20 12:42:09

Dh just forwarded an email from our LibDem MP, with a headline saying that the council is planning to ‘kerb’ anti social behaviour.
I dare say it may have been an aide who wrote it, but still....

Witzend Fri 14-Aug-20 10:50:16

Oh, Lord, @Chewbacca - I’m afraid that would have me steaming enough to complain!

BTW, just to add to my OP, the MP in question is a woman.

I once picked up a leaflet from our local university, offering an MA in English Lit.
I can’t recall it/them now, but there was at least one very basic spelling mistake in the blurb. I still wish I’d made some gesture of complaint, but I dare say I’d have been told that only crusty old pedants care about such things nowadays.

ladymuck Fri 14-Aug-20 10:50:47

Safer than with Jeremy Corbyn, Daddima, who wanted to keep education standards at the level of the least intelligent.

Daddima Fri 14-Aug-20 11:49:51

Oh, ladymuck it was meant to be lighthearted, but, since you mentioned it...........

Daddima Fri 14-Aug-20 11:57:15

And, my grandchild is, indeed, a star, but......

Daddima Fri 14-Aug-20 11:57:57

Forgot the photo!

Grammaretto Sat 15-Aug-20 10:42:43

I daren't show my face on here after getting my knuckles rapped for confusing Hoards with Hordes, but the your a star Diddima made me fume.
It's your instead of you're
too getting mixed up with to
loose when it ought to be lose
which I find most infuriating but, as DH says, "If you think it's bad now, imagine it in 10 yrs time!"
Rant over

JackyB Sat 15-Aug-20 10:51:12

'effected' instead of 'affected' in that Nicola Sturgeon clip made me wince audibly. I really do belong among the pedants.

Jellybeetles Sat 15-Aug-20 11:03:13

I think a huge problem is how many children do not read all the books that we did. Constantly seeing the words in front of you would help you with spellings due to familiarity. And also where language was shortened to save money in texting, this text speak has become part of normal everyday use. I cringe at some of the professional company e-mails I receive.

FarNorth Sat 15-Aug-20 13:25:00

JackyB that was not a Nicola Sturgeon clip, it was a Scottish Conservatives clip.

I too heartily dislike the misuse of effect & affect.

NotSpaghetti Sun 16-Aug-20 09:16:59

My husband is a lecturer but is not allowed to write his own stuff if it's going to be printed Witzend.

He has given up trying to correct things as it makes him angry. He IS asked for information every year and then it's hacked about and made into something totally different.

They probably have schoolchildren on work placements doing the actual writing.

Sheba Sun 16-Aug-20 09:37:20

My DH who wrote for a career is so pedantic about this.
In primary school a newly qualified teacher wrote in DS’s text book pointing out errors. DH marked her spelling 7/10 and returned it saying must try harder !
I do point out that not everyone had the same level of education that he had as he attended a very good school.

helgawills Sun 16-Aug-20 09:39:54

I answered a survey recently, where they kept mentioning curb side pick ups (for deliveries)

Tanjamaltija Sun 16-Aug-20 09:46:01

...falling by the wayside, is spelling, these days; or, actually, by the kerb-side. Also, what makes you think that the politician would have got it right?

Uninspiringcowkeer Sun 16-Aug-20 09:48:54

I recently had a letter from a solicitor who had mis-spelt my name. He was being very rude in the letter which made it worse.

choughdancer Sun 16-Aug-20 10:00:54

I think the battle has already been lost with this one, but I do get fed up with hearing 'lay' when it should be 'lie'.

DaisyL Sun 16-Aug-20 10:05:44

On a more light-hearted note we wonderful nurse at our local hospital who was from the Philippines and I remember her saying once 'Don't worry, I'm holding the fork'. I've said that ever since - it made me smile then and still does now.

seadragon Sun 16-Aug-20 10:10:13

DaisyL

On a more light-hearted note we wonderful nurse at our local hospital who was from the Philippines and I remember her saying once 'Don't worry, I'm holding the fork'. I've said that ever since - it made me smile then and still does now.

Made me smile too, DaisyL. Thanks

GrumpyGran8 Sun 16-Aug-20 10:14:17

JackyB

Not to mention the use of Comic Sans.

Please don't knock Comic Sans! It's one of the fonts recommended for dyslexic readers. That's why many schools are using it now.

GrumpyGran8 Sun 16-Aug-20 10:21:18

helgawills

I answered a survey recently, where they kept mentioning curb side pick ups (for deliveries)

'Curb' is the American spelling of kerb.
I cannot be the only one who is heartly sick of Americanisms creeping in! angry

PipandFinn Sun 16-Aug-20 10:31:18

Just read a comment on a previous Mumsnet "I meant to of wrote".........hmm

Quizzer Sun 16-Aug-20 10:31:42

Bare with me on this! Predictive text has a lot to answer four.
I recently typed "onto the patio" and the PT wrote "under the patio" - isn't that ware they berried a body? On another occasion I typed that I was "going to list an item", before I finished the line it had been changed to "going to Istanbul ".
Note to self - always carefully read over what you think you have typed!! Oops. (Ex English teacher)

MadeInYorkshire Sun 16-Aug-20 10:40:04

A friend and I send each other 'bloopers' that appear on Facebook Marketplace, there have been some good ones!

Gwenisgreat1 Sun 16-Aug-20 10:40:05

In Latin class I made a mistake and had to write 100 times Britons live in Britain!! It sunk in.

MadeInYorkshire Sun 16-Aug-20 10:41:09

Few more

MadeInYorkshire Sun 16-Aug-20 10:43:00

and ......