Gransnet forums

Pedants' corner

Use of the word "floor" instead of "ground"

(61 Posts)
fifeywifey Sat 22-Jan-22 14:15:57

When someone on the television describes a fall or collapse by someone in an outdoor setting they say "he/she just fell to the floor". If it's outside the word is "ground"! This irks me.
I should really change my user name to "Grumpygran". smile

Oldnproud Sun 23-Jan-22 12:52:59

Caleo

Saying floor when you mean ground is an irk.

Not to a pedant, I wouldn't have thought.

An irritation, perhaps? Better suggestions welcome ?

Baggs Sun 23-Jan-22 12:58:04

Marydoll

Oh you are clever Baggs.
I hope you and your family are well!

? Ahoy, Mdoll! Yes all well here, thank you. Hope you are alright too. And I hope we can have a grans meet-up this year. It's been too long!

Oldnproud Sun 23-Jan-22 13:00:12

Marydoll

*Oldnproud*, you are on the ball!

However, if I needed to explain my word choice in using irk as a noun, I could justify it by saying that, anything is acceptable in the world of creative writing. ?

I believe that as a pedant, I may have double standards!

I forgot to say, Marydoll, that I happily accept your justification. I have come to love the flexibility and evolution of our language.

Mind you, it sometimes takes quite a while for me to accept some new words and expressions. My bad is still a work in progress, some ten years on from when I first heard it.

grandtanteJE65 Sun 23-Jan-22 13:07:41

It tends to annoy me too, but I thought it was actually a dialectal form and most common in the Manchester eller Birmingham areas.

Am I completely wrong?

Marydoll Sun 23-Jan-22 16:10:10

Mind you, it sometimes takes quite a while for me to accept some new words and expressions. My bad is still a work in progress, some ten years on from when I first heard it.

Oldnproud, I cannot accept that term, that is indeed a step too far for me, I'm afraid.

Marydoll Sun 23-Jan-22 16:11:48

Baggs, I was thinking the same thing. Possibly, a Glesca Grannies meet up in the autumn?

Doodle Sun 23-Jan-22 20:09:09

Cherry ? grin

biglouis Sat 29-Jan-22 01:18:12

In the USA everything is "shipped" even if its sent overland. I notice thats beginning to creep in to the UK as well.

I sell online to the USA and my friends pick me up for referencing checks, bank wire and shipping costs. Of course they know what cheques, bank transfer and postage are. We are two nations divided by a common language.

Mamie Sat 29-Jan-22 06:16:13

I think "shipping costs" have always been around in British English. I would have thought it went back to the days when goods were literally sent by ship.

Witzend Sun 06-Feb-22 13:44:53

Is/was it a regional thing?
I do remember particularly noticing it when we moved (I was 9) from the SE to what used to be Warwickshire.
Maybe one of those regional things that has spread, much like, ‘needs done’, ‘needs washed’, etc. which I gather used to be a Scottish way of speaking.