Gransnet forums

Pedants' corner

These ones / those ones?

(33 Posts)
hilarious Sun 20-Feb-22 11:20:20

When did anyone first notice people saying "these ones" instead of just these?
I watched a TV presenter recently who was holding an item and said "I use these ones".

BigBertha1 Sun 20-Feb-22 11:26:03

TV presenters often speak in strange ways - I have to shout at them a lot.

kircubbin2000 Sun 20-Feb-22 12:14:05

At least it's better than them ones.

Georgesgran Sun 20-Feb-22 12:25:53

Just what I was going to say k2000.
Not to derail the thread but I’ve noticed presenters saying a orange or a apple - we were always taught to say ‘an’ if before a vowel - so I’d say an apple or an orange.

grandtanteJE65 Sun 20-Feb-22 12:57:09

I have always said "I use these ones, or I use those one" if I was adding emphasis to the statement.

Whereas if I was casually stating which I used, I would say, "I use these, or those as applicable"

sodapop Sun 20-Feb-22 14:17:47

I would never say "these ones" just doesn't sound right to me. Enough to say
"I use these".

BBbevan Sun 20-Feb-22 14:23:25

Georgesgran do you say ‘an’ hotel?

Oldnproud Sun 20-Feb-22 16:11:13

'These ones' has been around a long time.

I regularly hear variations such as "This is my one", "Those are your ones" etc. too.

They bugged me for a long time, but not any more. I think they are well established now and here to stay.
That said, I won't be using them myself.

ElaineI Sun 20-Feb-22 16:26:59

BBbevan

Never heard that before. I thought the "h" in hotel was pronounced?

Nonogran Sun 20-Feb-22 16:33:24

“These ones” is grammatically incorrect. I can’t remember how to describe why but maybe an English teacher will come along & explain?
It has been a pet hate if mine for years but hey ho, go with the flow.
Personally, I don’t say it.

BBbevan Sun 20-Feb-22 18:04:42

An hotel was always taught at grammar schools, and I believe was standard usage. People just can’t be bothered these days , but that was definitely the correct pronunciation and way of writing it

Esspee Sun 20-Feb-22 18:09:36

BBbevan

An hotel is correct. At least that was what I was taught.

Georgesgran Sun 20-Feb-22 18:19:31

Tried saying this several times to myself - I do say an Hotel, but have heard criticism of that and that it’s supposed to be An‘Otel with a silent H? We also were encouraged to say thee apple or orange rather than a flat ‘the’. (Not thee as in God bless thee, but a slightly longer E. Perhaps it’s a North East thing?

Chapeau Sun 20-Feb-22 18:57:23

Oldnproud I'm no expert but I believe the use of "these ones/those ones" are examples of tautology. This is when you use different words to repeat the same idea. A good example is 'in close proximity' which is grammatically incorrect but commonly used. Having said that, tautology is often used by poets to emphasise a particular point.

Blossoming Sun 20-Feb-22 19:03:11

An hotel. It’s an aspirated H, as it’s a French word.

sodapop Sun 20-Feb-22 21:25:00

Spot on Blossoming

Oldnproud Mon 21-Feb-22 13:23:44

Either a hotel or an 'otel.

An hotel always seems like a curious mixture of French and English to me.
It's not as if we say an horse or an hair brush

catladyuk Mon 21-Feb-22 13:40:47

i was taught that you should never say these ones or those ones as it was tautology and only used by the ill educated who knew no better!
another example is the pronuciation of the letter h as haitch instead of aitch, and yes, i was also taught that you should say an 'otel!

Grannmarie Mon 21-Feb-22 13:50:21

I seem to vaguely remember our French teacher at high school explaining 'ce lui ci, ce lui la,' as these meaning this/ those near/ beside you and that/those meaning some distance/ pointing distance away?

FannyCornforth Mon 21-Feb-22 14:27:09

I say ‘an hotel’ and I’m quite common

MissAdventure Mon 21-Feb-22 14:31:16

I say an 'otel, but I'm from Essex, so it's expected.

Mamardoit Mon 21-Feb-22 15:07:27

I was taught an hotel which I still say. Other words like hospital and hostel sound odd with 'an' so I say 'a'.

Mamardoit Mon 21-Feb-22 15:10:25

Sorry it's about these/those!

It's these if I'm holding them' and those if I'm pointing at them. I might have missed the point of this thread.

Pammie1 Mon 21-Feb-22 15:11:45

Georgesgran

Just what I was going to say k2000.
Not to derail the thread but I’ve noticed presenters saying a orange or a apple - we were always taught to say ‘an’ if before a vowel - so I’d say an apple or an orange.

Yes, and conversely they say a hotel, when it should be an hotel.

MaizieD Mon 21-Feb-22 15:19:35

Oldnproud

Either a hotel or an 'otel.

An hotel always seems like a curious mixture of French and English to me.
It's not as if we say an horse or ^an hair brush^

That's because horse and hairbrush aren't French words. Hotel and history (and hospital) come from French, where they'd be 'otel and 'istoire. The use of 'an' before them made sense then because you would use it before any noun that started with a vowel sound. Now everyone says them with a 'h' sound...

'These ones' and 'those ones' have a bit of logic to them. After all, you'd say 'this one' or 'that one'. I suppose people think you need to extend it to the plural. I dislike it and would never say it..