Gransnet forums

Pedants' corner

Pounds in the plural, please!

(32 Posts)
gulligranny Tue 15-Mar-22 16:58:10

Does anyone else's blood pressure rise when they hear a price/amount of money described as "X pound" rather than "X pounds"?

Hope it isn't just me because this really gets to me and causes me to jump up and down and shout...

winterwhite Tue 15-Mar-22 17:01:28

But more acceptable as an adjective? I'm sure I once had a book called 'The ten pound pony".

Germanshepherdsmum Tue 15-Mar-22 17:14:32

You’re certainly not the only one. I complain so much that I’m in danger of becoming Victor Meldrew.

Shelflife Tue 15-Mar-22 17:45:25

Me too, I notice every time I see / hear it, infuriates me!!

argymargy Tue 15-Mar-22 18:00:51

I have noticed that the Irish tend to say euro rather than euros. I quite like it, although I agree that "pound" is awful!

Hithere Tue 15-Mar-22 18:12:08

Poundi

Sorry, bad joke.

eazybee Tue 15-Mar-22 18:14:10

I worked with someone who said it all the time and it drove me up the wall; as she was in a superior position to me, and older, I couldn't say anything.

Oldnproud Tue 15-Mar-22 18:14:40

The general plural of "pound" has usually been "pounds" (at least since Chaucer), but the continuing use of the Old English genitive or neuter "pound" as the plural after numerals (for both currency and weight) is common in some regions. It can be considered correct, or colloquial, depending on region.

So take your pick - but don't complain about the singular being a modern thing grin

That said, I copied that from Wiktionary, so I can't actually vouch for its accuracy.

Gelleh Tue 15-Mar-22 18:20:23

argymargy

I have noticed that the Irish tend to say euro rather than euros. I quite like it, although I agree that "pound" is awful!

I think the EU legislated that it should be euro without the s. It is the British who say euros.
I dunno about pound/s, we say 20 quid not quids.

mokryna Tue 15-Mar-22 19:58:38

It is written in French, with an s but of course not pronounced.

BlueBelle Tue 15-Mar-22 20:45:28

Just had a practice as I wasn’t sure what I said but can confirm ‘so and so only cost ten pound’ ….. ooops gulligranny

welbeck Tue 15-Mar-22 20:48:38

it is an older form, not incorrect.
how many of you weigh ten stones.

Yammy Tue 15-Mar-22 20:52:38

My GC brought up in the USA say Math instead of maths and my DD was doing it but I notice she is starting to say maths again. With pound, it irritates me, even more, when they say pound sterling.
What used to really get me was when representatives of a country were called say the Ireland team, not the Irish team. I know my grammar is not great but why not Irish? I can see why with reporters as they are not necessarily from the country.
As for Victor Meldew I wouldn't worry I've been told I'm like getting like Agnes off Mrs Brown's boys. My Irish heritage is starting to show. I don't use her bad language but I'm getting short and fat, know my King Edwards from my Maris Piper and have started to have a penchant for pink cardigans and always laugh at what I shouldn't..confused

gulligranny Tue 15-Mar-22 21:40:57

Welbeck, I certainly WISH I weighed ten stones!

Nannarose Tue 15-Mar-22 21:44:28

I have always said 'pound' as both a singular & plural. I agree that it is dialect rather than incorrect.

BigBertha1 Tue 15-Mar-22 22:10:37

I hate it too.

Marian Keyes says yoyo's in her books for euros.

Nonogran Wed 16-Mar-22 09:29:46

I hate “quid” (instead of pound(s) £) which that presenter of Homes Under The Hammer property show always says. Makes me want to shout at the telly.

Grannynannywanny Wed 16-Mar-22 11:47:12

Pound doesn’t bother me. But I have heard one pence mentioned on several occasions and that does grate.

Witzend Thu 17-Mar-22 09:39:05

Yes, it grates on me, too.
In the case of a ten-pound pony, though, since it’s an adjective (a compound adjective?) that’s different.

I had to think about something similar when doing an OU course on the 19th century novel. One of our student email group was asking (for her essay) when ‘nineteenth century’ should be hyphenated, and when not.

I’d never consciously thought about it before, but when it was adjective plus noun, as in, ‘during the nineteenth century’ obv. no hyphen, but when they were coupled as an adjective, as in, ‘nineteenth-century literature’, hyphen needed.

argymargy Fri 18-Mar-22 06:54:23

Wow I would not use a hyphen in that example. Current overuse of hyphens really grates on me. I’ve moved on from apostrophes as that seems like a lost cause.

grandtanteJE65 Fri 18-Mar-22 12:58:47

Grannynannywanny

Pound doesn’t bother me. But I have heard one pence mentioned on several occasions and that does grate.

When decimal coinage was brought in, a lot of people who cared for the English language complained about "1 pence" and "a one pence piece, or coin" as we said, quite rightly, that "pence" could be understood as the plural of "penny", or as a collective noun, which obviously was referring to more than a single penny.

At the time, we were told that calling the new coinage's smallest unit "1 penny" would tend to confuse people.

Why this view was held I never understood, but by now it is far too late to do anything about this usage.

JackyB Fri 18-Mar-22 13:11:26

The old ones (weren't they huge!) were one penny and the new ones were one new penny IIRC

Fennel Fri 18-Mar-22 16:39:48

I agree about euro in the singular. our bank in France used to expect that.
What about pound Sterling? Still doesn't feel right.
We're different.

Petera Tue 29-Mar-22 08:29:28

Gelleh

argymargy

I think the EU legislated that it should be euro without the s. It is the British who say euros.
I dunno about pound/s, we say 20 quid not quids.

I don't know if it was legislated but you are, in essence, correct.

The motivation was to have a plural which was common in all languages instead of euros, euroen, euroa, eurot etc.

Petera Tue 29-Mar-22 08:29:53

Grannynannywanny

This.