Gransnet forums

Pedants' corner

Gender language

(43 Posts)
Fennel Mon 04-Jul-22 11:56:00

I didn't know which forum to put this in.
Has anyone else noticed the increased use in the media of the word 'queer' to describe homosexuals? It makes me cringe because I think it was banned in the 'old days'.
But it seems to be permitted now.
Reminds me of the saying the more things change, the more they stay the same.

Galaxy Tue 05-Jul-22 17:11:47

Yes many lesbians and gay men are very uncomfortable with the word queer. Cant believe people arent aware of that.

Glorianny Tue 05-Jul-22 17:22:32

But it isn't a word that is used now purely to define someone who is homosexual. For many people it is a blanket term that covers every sort of gender and sexual identity that is not what might be described as straight i.e heterosexual. Of course some people will not like or want to use it. Does anyone seriously think that all homosexual people think alike? But for a substantial number of people it identifies and unites a whole range of people.

MissAdventure Tue 05-Jul-22 17:25:07

Ah, but we shouldn't assume that a substantial number is enough to represent all.

Galaxy Tue 05-Jul-22 17:25:35

Oh I think its definitely used to cover straight people as well. No I dont think all gay people think alike that's why I didnt use the word all.

MissAdventure Tue 05-Jul-22 17:26:24

Because that would be thinking that homosexuals all think alike, wouldn't it?

MerylStreep Tue 05-Jul-22 17:33:12

It’s just crossed my mind that I use the word a lot.
I often say there's nought so queer as folk ?

MissAdventure Tue 05-Jul-22 17:34:43

My nan used to say she "came over all queer" in the night, so she put her best nighty on, in case she died.

Chestnut Tue 05-Jul-22 17:45:12

Originally queer meant 'strange' and I still associate it with that and as a derogatory term for homosexuals, so I'd never use it myself. Enid Blyton uses the word 'queer' in her books meaning strange and I used to read them as a child.

I don't really like 'gay' either as it simply meant happy or jolly which was nice. But I guess it's the best word available. Is there anything wrong with saying homosexual or heterosexual which is the correct term?

Fennel Tue 05-Jul-22 17:48:52

Chestnut - my view too.

Chewbacca Tue 05-Jul-22 17:58:01

My next door neighbours have said that they find being addressed as "queer" as very offensive. As they do "gay". They're just 2 men. They don't need any other qualifying descriptions.

Katie59 Tue 05-Jul-22 17:58:50

Gender is either Male or Female except for a tiny number with both charisteristics, Straight, LGBTQ+ are all lifestyle choices not gender

Are “queer” people always homosexual or are they just peculiar to whatever lifestyle they lead.

MissAdventure Tue 05-Jul-22 18:03:00

Genderqueer.
People who don't ascribe to either gender nor something or other else. (I can't remember)

Chestnut Tue 05-Jul-22 18:37:48

Katie 59 I think it's now LGBTQIA. Keep up! Can they think of any more to add I wonder?

Doodledog Tue 05-Jul-22 19:06:26

I don’t want to be picky, Kate59, but straight, gay or bi are sexualities, not lifestyle choices or genders.

Katie59 Tue 05-Jul-22 20:22:24

Chestnut

*Katie 59* I think it's now LGBTQIA. Keep up! Can they think of any more to add I wonder?

“I” intersex having male and female physical characteristics, a very small number

“A” Asexual, not having sexual feelings, this probably covers a large number of both male and female individuals, who may well have had sexual feelings in the past

Witzend Tue 05-Jul-22 20:31:56

Must say I’m nostalgic for the days when the word ‘gender’ was associated almost exclusively with the French, German and Latin nouns I had to learn.

Fennel Tue 05-Jul-22 20:38:43

Me too, Witzend !