Gransnet forums

Pedants' corner

Le mot juste - does it matter, who cares anyway if it is the right word?

(39 Posts)
MawtheMerrier Fri 16-Sep-22 15:34:27

I think I ruffled some feathers when I commented on Channel 5’s use of “internment” in relation to the Queen’s interment.
I got the feeling some people think it is pedantic to be bothered.
For those who agree with me - enjoy the attached!

Lona Sat 17-Sep-22 09:26:35

gringrin

ExDancer Sat 17-Sep-22 09:39:43

Before we had self service tills in supermarkets, we had checkouts for '10 items or less.

Jaxjacky Sat 17-Sep-22 10:10:03

Georgesgran I have a friend who does exactly the same, I never correct her, she had a poor education and is very self conscious about her language and writing.

grandtanteJE65 Sat 17-Sep-22 13:44:06

From one acryolophobiac to the others: Thank you all so much.

I loved the diffident meanings.

I am sure none of us would be rude enough to correct a friend for misuse of language, but surely we are entitled to expect people whose work requires them to use the language correctly to do so?

Aveline Sat 17-Sep-22 14:00:14

My Grandad told us about a young lad in his army days who always referred to the latrines as the 'lavatrines'. Understandable though.

AreWeThereYet Sat 17-Sep-22 16:32:19

MiL always used to talk about birds pruning themselves. It's now a private joke between us and the other day I said loudly to MrA 'That cormorant is giving himself a right old pruning'. Over MrA's shoulder I saw a man grin to himself as he passed us. He probably told all his mates about the woman who thinks birds prune themselves.

Fleurpepper Sat 17-Sep-22 16:38:48

Yes, 'diffident' is lovely grandtante lol

Fleurpepper Sat 17-Sep-22 16:40:17

OH was a very early reader. Went to a public loo with his dad in town and reading the sign on the wall, asked 'daddy, what is a venerable disease'

JackyB Sat 17-Sep-22 17:30:36

That had me laughing out loud by the third line, maw. I am a pedant of the highest degree and as grandtante says, those whose job it is to convey important information should use the language properly.

As I have said before, my bugbears are "avoid" instead of "prevent" and the wrong pronunciation of contribute and distribute. Who started that? The Americans don't do it, it's only Brits I hear saying contribute and distribute.

Yammy Sat 17-Sep-22 17:49:57

grannydarkhair

I didn’t know there was a fancy word for what I call malapropisms. Every day on Gransnet is a school day.

Same here and I used to be a teacher!!!!!. I called them Malapropisms after Mrs Malaprop. People do it all the time they don't mean to, I had an aunt who always referred to the hospital in Newcastle as the Royal Vic[RVI] she got it mixed up with the Old Vic.

Cabbie21 Sun 18-Sep-22 20:16:35

Yesterday I went to a village history exhibition in the village where I grew up. I was reminded of this thread when, looking at one of the many displays, I spotted a newspaper notice about a death, from 1935, containing the word internment.
Evidently errors from those who should know better are nothing new.

Ali08 Wed 21-Sep-22 12:46:47

Like I often remind my children, it's better to teach children to spell and use grammar correctly, when possible, because one day they might be writing out our prescriptions!!

Fleurpepper Wed 21-Sep-22 12:52:52

makes no difference as you won't be able to read them ;)