Gransnet forums

Pedants' corner

Le mot juste - does it matter, who cares anyway if it is the right word?

(38 Posts)
MawtheMerrier Fri 16-Sep-22 15:34:27

I think I ruffled some feathers when I commented on Channel 5’s use of “internment” in relation to the Queen’s interment.
I got the feeling some people think it is pedantic to be bothered.
For those who agree with me - enjoy the attached!

crazyH Fri 16-Sep-22 15:45:05

That’s ?
Maw you certainly didn’t ruffle my feathers. I always thought it was ‘internment’

Norah Fri 16-Sep-22 15:55:45

crazyH

That’s ?
Maw you certainly didn’t ruffle my feathers. I always thought it was ‘internment’

I mix words up, don't know when I do. But not the elk of the photo. grin

toscalily Fri 16-Sep-22 15:59:29

Acyrologiphobia My tongue just got into a knot trying to pronounce that word. Do hope we haven't caused you to have a complete metal breakdown grin

Pantglas2 Fri 16-Sep-22 16:05:18

Loved that Maw

I love crosswords so always knew about interment/internment (they simply wouldn’t fit the same, would they!) but I do love it when one friend struggles with pronouncing imminent (liniment) and reverts to ‘coming soon’!

Fleurpepper Fri 16-Sep-22 16:13:01

No feathers ruffled here either. Having not heard or read it- I thought it could well be just a typo, and that many GNeters might not be aware that interment' is a posh (Norman) word for 'burial'. And that in the grand scale of things, it is not vitally important. Simple.

Farmor15 Fri 16-Sep-22 16:14:01

Enjoyed that Maw!

Mamie Fri 16-Sep-22 16:15:22

In French interment / burial is inhumation. Interesting that we use exhumation, but do not (generally) use the reverse.

Germanshepherdsmum Fri 16-Sep-22 16:59:03

A very useful word Maw, thank you.

grannydarkhair Fri 16-Sep-22 17:09:52

I didn’t know there was a fancy word for what I call malapropisms. Every day on Gransnet is a school day.

Fleurpepper Fri 16-Sep-22 17:14:11

Mamie

In French interment / burial is inhumation. Interesting that we use exhumation, but do not (generally) use the reverse.

Wikipedia

L'enterrement ou inhumation est un rite funéraire pratiqué dans la majorité des cultures, consistant pour l'essentiel à l'enfouissement d'un cadavre, ou d'un cercueil le contenant, dans le sol ou dans un caveau aménagé dans le sol.

Fleurpepper Fri 16-Sep-22 17:22:05

Great article though Maw, and a new one for me!

Joseanne Fri 16-Sep-22 17:24:55

That's so funny Maw. grin

sodapop Fri 16-Sep-22 17:52:31

grin love it Maw pedants corner always seems to ruffle feathers, why I don't know. An interest in words and their usage ( use?) is surely not a bad thing.

Fleurpepper Fri 16-Sep-22 18:10:51

lol, no. But, as said, in the very difficult and unprecedented current circumstances - a bit of tolerance for those journalists having to make it up and fill the gaps as they go along, would not go amiss.

There are times ... and times, to be pedant, methinks.

grandMattie Fri 16-Sep-22 18:18:50

Thanks for the laugh, Maw.
I remember my barely teenaged DD falling about laughing when she heard a barrister, no less, telling the world on R4, that he was very “articulated”. She claimed that she was too, could bend her arms and legs…

Aveline Sat 17-Sep-22 08:48:49

Brian Bilston nails it again.

Ailidh Sat 17-Sep-22 09:00:16

I love it!

I also thoroughly agree with being annoyed by using the wrong word - particularly when it's from presenters.

Internment/interment is a big bugbear of mine, as is prostate/prostrate.

I love language, and it Does matter, AFAIC ?; maybe I'm just a piranha. ?

Georgesgran Sat 17-Sep-22 09:07:40

Stings and arrows? Bet they would hurt!
Very good Maw

I don’t know how to describe a lovely friend who gets words wrong - Preemart for Primark, funedral for funeral and Mataland for Matalan. She also drinks Melbac, not Malbec. Still love her.

Urmstongran Sat 17-Sep-22 09:10:12

That gave me a chuckle Maw! ?

Blondiescot Sat 17-Sep-22 09:14:11

My dear old dad always used to insist that a group of three related things was a triology!

AskAlice Sat 17-Sep-22 09:16:57

Love this! My daughter has been using the wrong words for monkey's years...

GrannyGravy13 Sat 17-Sep-22 09:17:09

My darling late Mum told everyone she had been on a stimulater ride when she had in fact been on a simulator ride

MiniMoon Sat 17-Sep-22 09:23:32

Thanks maw, you've started my Saturday off with a chuckle.
DH rolls his eyes as I constantly correct presenters, newsreaders and others on the television.

MarleneOnTheWall Sat 17-Sep-22 09:24:21

Blondiescot

My dear old dad always used to insist that a group of three related things was a triology!

Albeit less commonly used than trilogy, he was not wrong.