Gransnet forums

Pedants' corner

Photo’s

(20 Posts)
Greenfinch Sun 04-Dec-22 07:39:20

I have a friend who repeatedly writes photo’s for the plural of photo. DH says that in a strange way she could be considered correct as the apostrophe represents the missing letters “graph”. Could there be some truth in this?

eazybee Sun 04-Dec-22 07:52:44

No idea. Why not write photographs?

kittylester Sun 04-Dec-22 07:58:21

Or it could be auto correct that puts apostrophes where ever it deems fit.

paddyann54 Sun 04-Dec-22 08:07:36

cant get annoyed by this but photographers who call themselves "togs" now that irritates me beyond belief .Why just why?

Aldom Sun 04-Dec-22 08:10:14

Morning Greenfinch. I think your husband's theory could be correct. smile

Aldom Sun 04-Dec-22 08:16:08

paddyann54 I've not come across the expression 'togs' in reference to photographers'. Although I am familiar with the word togs meaning clothes.

argymargy Sun 04-Dec-22 08:41:52

It’s a great thought - props to your DH! It’s more likely she’s one of those people who are convinced that any word ending with a vowel must have an apostrophe in the plural.

While we’re on autocorrect, mine insists on changing were into we’re and ill into I’ll. Every single time.

paddyann54 Sun 04-Dec-22 08:54:28

Only heard from the new generation of young photographers,the same ones who think its fine to turn up to photograph a wedding in a hoodie and jeans .

A friend said to us just last week that she missed the style and elegance my generation of photographers brought to the job.Sharp suits ,shiny shoes and good manners .Now,she says,its about how "arty" they look and condescending because they think you're lucky to get their services.Mind you she IS my age and scruffy isn't something she would ever be

FannyCornforth Sun 04-Dec-22 08:55:19

Aldom

paddyann54 I've not come across the expression 'togs' in reference to photographers'. Although I am familiar with the word togs meaning clothes.

And ‘Terry’s Old Geezers’ of course smile

FannyCornforth Sun 04-Dec-22 08:58:39

I recently came across some short stories that my Nan wrote (late ‘70s or early 80s) and she typed ‘bus.
Just like that with an apostrophe, as in short for omnibus.

Greenfinch Sun 04-Dec-22 09:05:23

Fanny I used to do that too but had completely forgotten!

Juliet27 Sun 04-Dec-22 09:11:51

While we’re on autocorrect, mine insists on changing were into we’re and ill into I’ll. Every single time.

Yes, there’s many a time I’ve had to correct autocorrect

FannyCornforth Sun 04-Dec-22 09:11:55

I think that your husband is definitely right Greenfinch (lovely name)
Initialised terms need apostrophes too I think, ie TA’s (teaching assistants), PO’s (post offices) etc
Others may disagree!

Greenfinch Sun 04-Dec-22 09:35:39

Yes, I always struggle with the 1970’s etc.

grandtanteJE65 Tue 06-Dec-22 15:12:08

Greenfinch

I have a friend who repeatedly writes photo’s for the plural of photo. DH says that in a strange way she could be considered correct as the apostrophe represents the missing letters “graph”. Could there be some truth in this?

Your husband certainly has a point, as the apostrophe can either denote that a letter or more have been left out, or denote the genitive.

It's means it is (formerly also it has) and there are plenty of other contractions used in informal speech which are shown in writing by the apostrophe.

Can't, what's this? etc.

Sansovino Wed 07-Dec-22 18:24:35

It's still means 'it has', doesn't it? As well as 'it is', I mean.

Blossoming Wed 07-Dec-22 18:30:27

Fanny yes, Terry’s Old Gits! I loved those morning shows.

FannyCornforth Thu 08-Dec-22 05:29:13

Yes, he was brilliant wasn’t he Blossoming
Remember the year he died?
That was that awful year when loads of famous people died, including Bowie and Victoria Wood. It was such a shock when she went.

argymargy Thu 08-Dec-22 07:08:28

Sansovino

It's still means 'it has', doesn't it? As well as 'it is', I mean.

Perhaps @grandtanteJE65 meant “formally”..

MaizieD Thu 08-Dec-22 08:02:26

FannyCornforth

I think that your husband is definitely right Greenfinch (lovely name)
Initialised terms need apostrophes too I think, ie TA’s (teaching assistants), PO’s (post offices) etc
Others may disagree!

I disagree with you vehemently, FannyC. Apostrophes denote omissions or possession. Nothing else.

I'd be thinking'TA's what? Pencils, shoes, jobs...?'. when I read that.

I don't think that 'photo's' is at all correct, either.