Gransnet forums

Pedants' corner

Text

(14 Posts)
Germanshepherdsmum Mon 09-Jan-23 17:31:00

Another of my many bugbears, as a pedant of the first order, is the very frequent use of ‘text’ instead of ‘texted’. For instance ‘I text him saying X and he text me saying …. ‘. Grrr!

toscalily Mon 09-Jan-23 17:44:08

Would using 'txt' be more acceptable, or would that be even worse?

ExperiencedNotOld Mon 09-Jan-23 17:45:28

Language is changing.

Germanshepherdsmum Mon 09-Jan-23 17:45:34

Dare I say worse?

Mollygo Mon 09-Jan-23 18:14:22

Difficult.
If I read it aloud to someone I would say I texted him, even if the text said ‘I text him’.

In texting, efforts are made to cut short the number of characters you have to type, even though it sounds incorrect.

sodapop Mon 09-Jan-23 19:12:17

It irritates me as well GSM and saying texes instead of texts grrrr

Germanshepherdsmum Mon 09-Jan-23 19:17:18

I know that in a text the number of characters is shortened, but what I’m referring to is references to having texted, outside of the text itself.

Kate54 Mon 09-Jan-23 19:38:13

Of course, the word text started life as a noun so really shouldn’t be used as a verb at all!

Doodledog Mon 09-Jan-23 20:14:30

Along similar lines, I find it annoying when people say 'it is cliché' rather than 'it is cliched'. There is another similar construction that grates on me, but I can't bring it to mind.

Grantanow Mon 06-Mar-23 09:45:41

Kate54

Of course, the word text started life as a noun so really shouldn’t be used as a verb at all!

There are plenty of verbs derived from nouns: peak/peaked, stomach/stomached, for example.

BlueBelle Mon 06-Mar-23 10:11:23

Mollygo shouldn’t you say ‘aloud’ like most on FB do
I hope this is aloud ….drives me crackers

Wheniwasyourage Mon 06-Mar-23 11:37:03

I agree, Germanshepherdsmum. Every time I hear someone using "text" instead of "texted" it brings me up short and I have to think about what they mean. Language changes, yes, but if a new verb is needed - "to text" - it seems reasonable to expect it to follow normal grammatical rules.

Doodledog Mon 06-Mar-23 13:43:24

Doodledog

Along similar lines, I find it annoying when people say 'it is cliché' rather than 'it is cliched'. There is another similar construction that grates on me, but I can't bring it to mind.

I’ve remembered- it’s bias and biased.

JackyB Mon 06-Mar-23 14:11:51

Perhaps it should be "texed". But then the present form would be "tex". Which it often is...