Gransnet forums

Pets

For The Love Of Dogs: Paul O'Grady

(72 Posts)
whenim64 Mon 03-Sep-12 20:32:41

Did anyone watch the first programme on ITV just now? I'm smitten! All those beautiful dogs in Battersea Dogs Home, some harrowing stories of neglected and abandoned dogs, unwanted puppies, lovely staff caring for them. Paul's family of pets and farm animals were shown at the start of the programme. Can't wait for next week smile

goldengirl Tue 11-Sep-12 16:57:32

My dog was a rescue dog - a large cross breed; very loving and protective and tough. He cost me £40 including a lead. In my view there are so many dogs needing a home why not visit a rescue centre first.

Nanadogsbody Tue 11-Sep-12 18:08:19

This is a happy thread phoenix long may it last. We just share a love of hairy, loving, smelly-breathed dogs. Love it. Most, in fact all, of my real friends have dogs and there's something about dog owners, don't you think?

Stop when... not even a little look you know what will happen.

Why can't you have a dog soop?

Grannylin Tue 11-Sep-12 18:21:06

No, don't do it when.I've got a really happy mad Springer spaniel and I only went 'for a look' at the puppies.Now, 3 years on, I would like another dog.Do you think there is a doggy word for broodygrin

soop Tue 11-Sep-12 18:23:27

The very same wee dog, when ...very characterful grin I do think that rescue dogs make wonderful pets. Our neighbour has a golden retriever. She was rescued from an awful life. She's been with our friend for almost 15 years now. She's adorable.

whenim64 Tue 11-Sep-12 19:01:06

Grannylin what about 'drooly?' grin soop I didn't know that's what those dogs were called. They are adorable.

I had a rescue dog as a teenager and he was a wonderful, loyal dog. We rescued a clumber spaniel many years ago and she was very sweet but would snap at children and we had to return her to the breeder, but she was able to stay with them. She was like that because she had been isolated in kennels by the people who bought her to breed, then when she produced a litter containing two good show pups, they neglected her, so the breeder bought her back off them. The damage had been done by then as she was two and had been rejected so often, she became over-protective of whoever fed her. Such a beautiful dog spoiled by selfish owners. We then obtained a clumber puppy, who we adored, but boy was she gormless! She lived side by side with our long-haired German shepherd, who had intelligence for both of them. Dogs have lived with me for most of my life. smile

soop Wed 12-Sep-12 12:10:06

When Airedale Terriers are lovely, too. I get so angry with people who neglect animals. What is the point of acquiring an animal, simply to cause it to suffer? I suppose it's another form of bullying. Such owners must take delight in domination. angry

soop Wed 12-Sep-12 12:14:12

Nanadogsbody Mr soop is a cat person. I love both cats and dogs. Our feral cats cost us a tidy sum to feed. As cash is on the tight side, it wouldn't be sensible to have a dog to care for too.

glammanana Wed 12-Sep-12 12:30:31

Soop so very sensible with regard to the cost of keeping a dog some people forget the extra costs of vets fee's/injections etc then the animals end up getting turned out on the streets.Only this last week-end DS1 asked me if I wanted to home a long haired basset puppy and whilst the urge was to say yes at once I had to think of the size basset's grow to the food costs and the fact that my apartment is nothing like the size of the property we owned when we always had 2/3 dogs in residence,along with dogs being fostered whilst their future owners where evaluated by the dog charity.The only space we have now is for Barney the scruffy JR who came to us from rescue centre when we came back from Spain,you can see his pic on my profile page as I have been able to upload it.smile

soop Wed 12-Sep-12 12:36:40

glamma Barney is beautiful. Love the pose! grin

Nanadogsbody Wed 12-Sep-12 12:46:11

glamma that is so cute grin.

soop wouldn't give most dogs much of a chance against a feral cat. There was a family of ferals lived in a farm near us. The farm dogs steered well clear.

I've posted a picture of my two if anyone cares to look?

soop Wed 12-Sep-12 12:51:11

Nana All your photos are delightful. A lady in the village has the same breed of dog as M & T. Hers is named Daisy. I think that the breed is one of the prettiest. smile

glammanana Wed 12-Sep-12 14:03:49

nanadogsbody your two are so lovely,Barney is a one off I think he never looks tidy and I try my hardest to keep him brushed and trimmed but a useless task I find,the only time he looks good is when he has just been bathed and dried,I use John Frieda Frizz Ease shampoo and conditioner on him to try and give him a bit of "class" but it doesn't last long.confused

whenim64 Wed 12-Sep-12 15:07:43

They're beautiful dogs nanad! My auntie has one who is quite old now, but very agile, and extremely bright. He's called Gizmo.....chosen by her grandchildren.

crimson Wed 12-Sep-12 15:42:56

I didn't know there were long haired basset hounds; I've never seen one.

Nanadogsbody Wed 12-Sep-12 17:02:35

crimson

www.bassetpuppy.com/photo6.html

Ella46 Wed 12-Sep-12 17:07:16

Nanadog all your photo's are beautiful flowers

Nanadogsbody Wed 12-Sep-12 20:00:39

Thanks everyone. I love my dogs, they're always there for me.

crimson Wed 12-Sep-12 20:36:30

Oh heck; when I was on holiday I noticed a small black lump on my whippets side; I put it to the back of my mind as I couldn't do anything about it at the time but now I'm really worried. I had a spaniel that developed warts as she got older but this looks different. Trip to the vets asap I guess.

Nanadogsbody Wed 12-Sep-12 22:17:20

Try not to worry crimson most lumps are benign. Hopefully the vet wil find nothing too serious.

shysal Mon 24-Sep-12 20:37:30

Paul O'Grady's programme was a tear - jerker tonight, for sad and happy reasons. The case of Noodles was such a shame, and wasn't Marcel a character?
I am loving tne series.

whenim64 Mon 24-Sep-12 20:46:03

I loved Marcel - what a character! Poor little Noodles. His problems were awful and would not have been manageable, but I shed a tear for the little guy. Such a good programme. smile

crimson Mon 24-Sep-12 21:17:17

Missed it again. On the subject of vets fees, Hatties biopsy and stuff has cost £500 and counting so far. I am insured but only for 12 months per condition. Still awaiting biopsy results sad but spoke to someone today who has several chinese crested dogs and they get benign lumps all the time. Which reminds me I have to give her a valerian tablet tonight to calm her down before another trip to the vets tomorrow; they are supposed to help with the firework phobia she's got as well. There was a shih tzu at the vets last week that looked just like Buster.

gracesmum Mon 24-Sep-12 21:23:14

Paws crossed for hattie, grace [woof] emoticon

merlotgran Mon 24-Sep-12 21:25:01

Good luck with the results, crimson. I missed it tonight but I'll catch up on iplayer.

crimson Tue 25-Sep-12 12:46:04

Good news! Vet left a message to say biopsy back and lumps are benign!! I was actually going to phone them and ask if the vet would leave a message and tell me exactly what the results were [even if bad] as I wanted to know straight away [none of the 'and how are you today, crimson; isn't the weather awful']. I felt that, the quicker the result came back the more chance of it being a good one. She's back there today to have her stitches out but I phoned the receptionist and told her to give the purveyor of good news a big kiss! [better from her than an old crone like me]. Now to find something else to worry about....confused