Gransnet forums

Pets

Confession - I have just done a "BAD THING"

(34 Posts)
Anne58 Tue 08-Jan-13 17:53:13

I now feel pretty bad about this. blush

Before I tell you what I did, and you all decide that I am a wicked horrid Gransnetter, please let me give you some background.

Of the 3 cats, Lily doesn't go out, therefore has no need to be let in. When Maurice wants to come in, he sits on his hind legs and with both front paws beats an insistent tattoo on the front door. The speed and volume that he can manage is pretty impressive. I think he may be a secret drummer with an underground cat beat combo.

Digby (aka Squeaky Digby) sits on the kitchen window sill. This is fine if I happen to be in the kitchen, but I cannot spend every moment that he is out watching anxiously for his return, looking like a cheap remake of The French Lieutenants Woman. (If I did I would never get chance to come on here!)

I have probably already said somewhere that in our little cul-de-sac of 7 houses, the cats far out number the people. Digby is an amiable soul, and seems to have made friends with most of the population, both human and feline, with the exception of Bailey. She is a young biscuit coloured oriental (Burmese, I think) and bullies Digby terribly, despite the fact that he is around 3 times her size. I have told him to man up and use his (considerable) weight advantage, but to no avail.

About an hour ago, I leant out of the bedroom window to see if his nibs was sitting on the kitchen window sill directly below. He wasn't, but Bailey was crouched next to my car, a sure indication that Digby was hiding underneath it and frightened to come out. He has in the past sauntered out trying to give the impression that he was just checking the suspension, but he doesn't fool me.

Aaaaanyway, there just happened to be a large glass of water on my bedside table and.......................... confused

Nonu Tue 08-Jan-13 18:08:26

Phoenix , Phoenix , poor poor Digby , has he forgiven you yet ?

x for him

Elegran Tue 08-Jan-13 18:09:43

grin phoenix Preserve that story for the blog.

Anne58 Tue 08-Jan-13 18:10:44

NO NO, you have it all wrong! The water was aimed at and landed on that bitch Bailey! I was rescuing Digby!

Bez Tue 08-Jan-13 18:12:32

That sounds good to me.

Nonu Tue 08-Jan-13 18:12:55

OH ! I get it now ! LOL

Anne58 Tue 08-Jan-13 18:25:52

I would never do such a thing to my lovely boy!

I must admit that although I felt bad about it, there was a certain satisfaction in the way she shot off like a rather damp (well, soaking actually, it was after all a pint glass and my aim was true, not difficult when it's directly downwards with no angles or wind direction to take into account) exocet missile!

I then went downstairs to let Digby in, he did look a bit bemused, as if he thought that Bailey had disappeared because she had suddenly remembered an urgent appointment. I don't think he was at all aware of the (ahem) sudden and very localised shower. Bless him, he isn't the brightest of cats. Not quite "special needs" like Lily, but definitely in the same category of the Harry Enfield "nice but dim" character.

jeni Tue 08-Jan-13 19:22:39

Love it. Keep 'em coming!

Anne58 Tue 08-Jan-13 19:26:09

Thanks jeni but I can only write about things as they happen, or occur to me, in the case of musings !

crimson Tue 08-Jan-13 19:26:53

Strange that you should mention that Bailey is a biscuit coloured Burmese; years ago we had a Britsh Short Hair and a Burmese of that colour [chocolate] and he bullied the Short Hair terribly. We'd had Brown Burmese and they were really sweet, but the chocolate was a nightmare. Wonder if it's a trait that they have? I know it sound unlikely but I know someone that breeds Newfoundlands and he says that even with litter mates their character can be defined by their colour.

Anne58 Tue 08-Jan-13 19:29:23

An interesting theory, crimson a bit like mine with regard to black labs seem more prone to ear problems.

Anne58 Tue 08-Jan-13 19:30:48

PS Just to say I do like Newfies, they seem to enjoy pulling people out of the water, whether they actually need rescuing or not!

annodomini Tue 08-Jan-13 19:39:44

Newfoundlands? Hearth rugs with paws...

vampirequeen Tue 08-Jan-13 19:44:30

I don't think you've done a bad thing. You stood up for the victim and dealt in a fair and just way with bully lol.

MiceElf Tue 08-Jan-13 19:51:37

That was an excellent learning experience for Madam. I just hope that Digby appreciated you quick thinking. Perhaps he needs some assertiveness training in a small group.

Riverwalk Tue 08-Jan-13 19:53:27

Yes Phoenix you should feel bad - your Digby needs to grow a pair ..... and fend for himself!

He's never going man-up if you fight all his battles. Bailey's obviously very smart and takes on over-indulged, dozy Digby for the fun of it - you should be in sisterhood with this feisty, fit feline!

Now, what if Bailey's mum gets involved - her poor girlie will have arrived home all wet and bedraggled - it could end up with both of you chucking buckets of water at each other! grin

crimson Tue 08-Jan-13 19:57:37

Chocolate labroadors are supposedly more neurotic than black ones and never really grow up [or so I've heard]. I love the black ones, especially the really chunky looking Sandringham ones.

Anne58 Tue 08-Jan-13 20:02:26

Riverwalk Bailey comes from a household of 3 cats, and she is often to be seen paddling about in a fairly large puddle that sometimes forms in a dip in the tarmac just down from our house. Actually, quite a few of the local felines seem to gather at this puddle for a drink. I think they might be under the illusion that it is a watering hole, and if they just wait long enough, a herd of wildebeest may hove into view and join them.

Also, just before the water seemed to spill from my hand, I had been casting my gaze about, looking for Bailey's mum suspicious persons, as any public minded person living in a neighbourhood watch area might do.

Riverwalk Tue 08-Jan-13 20:19:08

I'm sure Bailey's mum is also very civic-minded - she could well have been on the lookout for miscreants .... you know..... those unkind people who are cruel to neighbourhood pets wink

This could end up in a water fight at dawn ... of course your Digby will scarper and leave you to it!

annodomini Tue 08-Jan-13 20:21:00

Riverwalk, I assume that telling Digby to 'grow a pair' might be inappropriate - not to say tactless - in the circumstances... wink

Anne58 Tue 08-Jan-13 20:29:54

Good point, anno to think he did actually grow some, and then they were removed, poor love.

I think some of his problems with regard to being such a big girls blouse may stem from tail envy, as his is very short in relation to the magnificence of the rest of him. When we first got him we thought he may have had an accident and lost an inch or two, but the vet checked it out and said that he was just born that way.

Bless!

Riverwalk Tue 08-Jan-13 20:31:39

Why anno - has Digby been 'done' .... you know, snipped in the bud?

Riverwalk Tue 08-Jan-13 20:41:21

I think his problems stem from being called Digby - for goodness sake that's a dog's name, and a BIG dog at that!

And, what with his small appendage ....... things were always gonna be tough.

I blame the mother!

jeni Tue 08-Jan-13 21:07:14

Poor ladsad
Night all moon

grannyactivist Tue 08-Jan-13 21:17:09

Pheonix et al, first time I've been on GN today; thanks for the laugh. grin