Gransnet forums

Pets

Cat sleeping in the rain...

(47 Posts)
Antjexix Tue 06-Oct-15 11:07:33

My elderly cat has started sleeping and sitting out in all weathers. At first he was sitting on the lawn but now he's started to sit on the soil in the flowerbed and it's lashing down with rain. Has anybody else experienced this with their cat?

Katek Tue 06-Oct-15 11:39:17

There's no blood in his urine is there? My cat suffers from stress cystitis and will often sit for ages in cool places to try and pee. Might be worth getting him checked out in case he has a UTI-often happens in older cats.

Nelliemoser Tue 06-Oct-15 11:58:53

No! Our cat used to sit out in that very fine rain but anything more he did not like. Time for a visit to the vet perhaps. Is he still eating?

Jane10 Tue 06-Oct-15 14:24:51

We had a cat once who took to sitting in the pond. Luckily not a very deep one. It wasn't a good sign. As others have said it indicated a kidney problem. Time to visit the vet?

Antjexix Tue 06-Oct-15 14:45:43

Will make appointment tomorrow as my other cat is getting her jabs,thank you everyone smile

rosesarered Tue 06-Oct-15 16:25:17

Cats sitting in unusual places is a bad sign ( elderly cats) one of ours went behind the boiler, another in a fruit bowl to sleep.Time to say goodbye.

Anne58 Tue 06-Oct-15 17:26:00

roses ! It might not come to that!

(But agree it should be checked out)

rosesarered Tue 06-Oct-15 17:30:50

Dementia just gets worse if left, and if the cat is elderly it is better to face this fact.Sometimes animals are kept going against all the odds by owners, aided and abetted by vets.I try never to keep a cat longer than it should be around, even though it is oh so sad.Especially if it has had a good long life.

Anne58 Tue 06-Oct-15 17:46:42

I know what you mean roses and you may remember that apart from the dear old Cluckmeister, who only had a day or two of looking frail, then quietly died in my arms) I did have to have my other 2 put down when I felt that their quality of life was not what I thought they deserved.

I meant that it was worth getting the cat to the vet, then making an informed decision, although I agree that sometimes both parties (owners & vets) perhaps take things a step too far.

Jane10 Tue 06-Oct-15 18:26:03

Its not a cat but we have gradually become horrified at the lengths our neighbour has gone to to keep her elderly, blind, lame dog going. The poor wee thing has lost much of her fur too. Our neighbour was carrying her out to do her business but has now bought a special dogs pram for the creature.
I know how much she loves the dog but surely things have gone on too long. I suspect that vets have said this too as she keeps changing vets. Very sad all round. Our neighbour is very old herself and the dog is her only 'child'. We watch and wait, ready to be supportive when the time comes sad

Antjexix Tue 06-Oct-15 18:28:26

We had our other cat put down three years ago as she had kidney failure,she was diabetic. I will make an appointment tomorrow and see what she will say,don't wNt him to suffer,he's a little darling.

rosesarered Tue 06-Oct-15 19:50:24

What a great photo! good luck with him.

Antjexix Tue 06-Oct-15 19:59:46

Thank you rosesareredsmile

Antjexix Thu 08-Oct-15 13:14:16

Just got him back from vets. He has an underactive thyroid and has been given tablets. Very healthy geriatric cat apart from that smile

rosesarered Thu 08-Oct-15 15:56:07

Good news!smile

whitewave Thu 08-Oct-15 15:59:00

ant what splendid news!! I haven't posted because my little Tabitha did just that before she had to be euthanisedsad

shysal Thu 08-Oct-15 16:09:21

Phew! smile

Nelliemoser Thu 08-Oct-15 16:49:06

Antjexix What good news. smile

Heirofthedog Thu 08-Oct-15 16:55:34

Oh I am happy for you Ant. So worrying when your pets aren't well. Jane10, your neighbour is very lucky to have you looking out for her.

Jane10 Thu 08-Oct-15 17:14:59

So glad to hear that puss will be OK!

MiniMouse Thu 08-Oct-15 17:18:29

Lovely news smile so pleased for you.

annodomini Thu 08-Oct-15 17:35:06

Glad news, Antjexix . It's no joke trying to get pills down a cat's throat once they get wise to all your tactics. One of mine had an overactive thyroid and got very thin. He fought those pills every inch of the way! I'm sure you have heard this before, but it's always good for a laugh.

Antjexix Thu 08-Oct-15 18:37:17

Thank you everyone and thank you annadomini for that great video smile

Anne58 Thu 08-Oct-15 18:42:32

Glad to hear that there is a course of action, Antjexix No doubt the vet told you to keep an eye on things and see how your cat responds.

Sometimes it can take a bit of trial and error (and the odd blood test) to get the dose right.

Good luck, paws crossed!

Antjexix Thu 22-Oct-15 15:52:52

Bad news. Went back to vets today and turns out Tom is blind. He is on the strongest dose of tablets and vet said just do what makes him happy,so lots of strokes and cuddles.sad