Gransnet forums

Pets

Cat sleeping in the rain...

(48 Posts)
Antjexix Tue 06-Oct-15 11:07:33

My elderly cat has started sleeping and sitting out in all weathers. At first he was sitting on the lawn but now he's started to sit on the soil in the flowerbed and it's lashing down with rain. Has anybody else experienced this with their cat?

seacliff Thu 22-Oct-15 16:21:07

Oh poor boy - amazing that you didn't realise. Perhaps that's why he was sititing outside, he wasn't able to move around easily. My lovely boy Flash was on thyroid tablets, and altho it was OK for a while, he hated the regular blood tests that are needed. He got worse, and eventually we had to take action, for his sake. Best cat ever.

What a lovely picture. Hope you get some happy quality time with him x

Jane10 Thu 22-Oct-15 16:30:57

Oh poor puss! Poor you too. Sorry to hear about your poor old boy.

rosesarered Thu 22-Oct-15 17:02:02

So sorry.sad lots of cuddles, he will enjoy that.

Antjexix Sat 24-Oct-15 20:22:37

He is getting worse every day, doesn't know where he is and walking straight into furniture ect. He seems so confused and we are beginning to wonder if we should let him go,although I am nowhere near ready to say goodbyesad

shysal Sat 24-Oct-15 20:27:48

I am so sorry to hear your sad story. You will have to make a decision based on his quality of life, putting your own feelings aside. I feel for you, having been in a similar position myself with my old cat, Shabba. flowers

Antjexix Sat 24-Oct-15 20:29:23

Thank you shysal x

rosesarered Sat 24-Oct-15 20:35:02

Yes, it's hard for you, I agree, but we can't keep them going for ourselves.He won't know anything about it, and it is the kindest thing.flowers

annodomini Sat 24-Oct-15 21:30:49

My long since departed ginger cat, Sandy, went very suddenly blind and there was no way it could be reversed. He also suffered from hyperthyroidism and became very thin - and giving him tablets was a nightmare. However, he learnt to find his way around the house and garden - and onto my lap. Perhaps your cat will adjust to his blindness, Antjexix - I do hope so. Sandy managed to live happily for about three more years until his age and pneumonia caught up with him.

numberplease Sat 24-Oct-15 23:39:45

So sorry to hear about Tom, Antjexis, but if he`s only just gone blind, he`ll gradually learn to find his way about, although he`ll be understandably confused for a while. It`s hard to give advice though when you`ve never gone through it, I`ve never had a pet that`s gone blind, thank goodness.

Maggiemaybe Sun 25-Oct-15 00:21:15

I feel for you, Antjexix. Really it's a matter of whether it is just the fact that he is blind, and may adjust, or whether his quality of life is too poor. Our elderly cat was diagnosed with thyroid trouble last year. She became increasingly confused, not being able to get into the litter tray and bumping into things. Sitting outside in the road in all weathers. One day she fell into a puddle by the house and couldn't get up. The next day DH took her to the vet and asked them to put her down, as we didn't want our lovely pet to suffer. The very young vet on duty persuaded him to bring her home, as "they have good days and bad days". The next day we took her again as she was obviously bewildered and deteriorating fast. Our usual vet saw her and agreed that if she were his cat he would put her to sleep. He was quite cross about the attitude of the young vet and agreed with us that no animal should be left to suffer. I hope though that Tom hasn't got to that stage and you can keep him for a while yet.

Jane10 Sun 25-Oct-15 06:17:19

When our very dear cat Buddy became gradually very odd in his behaviour it was found that he had a brain tumour. Horrible horrible. He just wasn't himself at all and very miserable. The vet suggested a few days at home before the deed. This gave us all a chance to spoil him and say goodbye. We were still devastated when the time came. The vet let us out the back door so we didn't have to go through the waiting room in tears. Don't suppose it would have looked good for the vet but still it was a kindness. We've had more cats since then but Buddy was my special one.

Antjexix Thu 12-Nov-15 16:07:13

Very sad to say that we had our Tom put to sleep this morning as his condition worsened. The vet thought he had liver cancer and we didn't want him to suffer as he was in a bad way in the end. Thank you for all your encouraging comments.

rosesarered Thu 12-Nov-15 16:13:42

You did the right thing! flowers

Antjexix Thu 12-Nov-15 16:18:32

Thank you rosesarered

Anya Thu 12-Nov-15 16:22:04

Yes, you did the kind thing Antjexix flowers

MiniMouse Thu 12-Nov-15 16:25:27

We went through similar last year. It's heartbreaking, but kindest in the end flowers

Antjexix Thu 12-Nov-15 16:50:17

Thank you x

Jane10 Thu 12-Nov-15 17:38:43

Aww Antjexix. Sorry to hear about your old boy. I'll be thinking of you. flowers

Antjexix Thu 12-Nov-15 17:46:57

Thank you x

LuckyDucky Tue 26-Jan-16 09:09:41

Antj what a shock and a shame. Your cat looks adorable, happy and relaxed.
If your furniture stays in the same place he'll adapt. Is he adapting to a litter tray?

How old is he?

Good luck flowers Make the most of him antj. . ==^-^==

miep Tue 26-Jan-16 09:24:43

I feel for you; I know how sad it is to make the right decision. We lost little Amelia last year after a total balls up by the vet ( I would cheerful have euthanised-or worse-him). It was the only answer but we still shed a tear from time to time. He'll be waiting at the Rainbow bridge for you.

annodomini Tue 26-Jan-16 10:22:38

So sorry to hear your news, Antjexix. I had to have both of mine put to sleep within only weeks of each other years ago now and still miss them. I knew they'd had a happy life and so has yours. ((((hugs))))