Gransnet forums

Pets

Poor little Minou

(251 Posts)
granjura Fri 07-Oct-16 18:53:46

Early this Summer we noticed a young Siamese cross cat lurking around with a front leg hanging off. We were really upset, but he disapperared and we thought he had died. Then just before we went off to Italy - he re-appeared- the leg had fallen off and it looked awfuls and so sore. I fed him and watered him and made him a nice den in the garden shed- but he was very wild and scared and I couldn't get anywhere near him. Thank goodness my lovely neighbour agreed to look after him whilst we were away. I went to the vet and asked him what to do- and his reply was 'let nature take its course- cats can survive major injuries if they have shelter, food and water' so we did.

Lately he has been coming to the kitchen door to 'beg' first thing in morning and early evening- and I've been talking to him a lot- and recently he's got closer and closer. 3 days ago, I cooked him some fish, and, with head bent down and hand out stretched, sitting on kitchen doorstep - I put fish in my hand and waited. He made a lot of calling noises- but finally took the plunge and I felt him taking the food from my hand. Yesterday I was able to cuddle his head- and tonight - after his sachet of cat food, I did the same with fish in my hand- and he ended up on my lap and purring for the first time.

Very moving- I cried to be honest. Stump is still very red but seems to be granualting and tissue growing well around it. Hopefully he will be inside before really cold weather and snow comes- but neighbour and myself will be spending a few hours this week-end making a much warmer and waterproof den to put at the back of shed. And hopefully we will soon be able to catch it to take to the vet to see if anything can be done to help. Bless his little cotton paws.

SueDonim Fri 07-Oct-16 19:00:02

What a kind person you are. I hope Minou settles down with you and has a lovely life. smile

supernanauna1 Fri 07-Oct-16 19:06:26

You sound like a lovely person. He'll have a good home with you now he's managed to overcome his fear. Well done.

granjura Fri 07-Oct-16 19:14:09

Anyone would do the same surely, you can't watch an animal starve in pain. Very rewarding for me too- let's hope for the best for him. At least if things turn for the worse, I'll be able to catch him and do what has to be done - really hope not.

supernanauna1 Fri 07-Oct-16 19:19:08

If he's got this far without the vet, then he'll be just fine. Animals are very resilient - they don't sit around complaining the way we do. Hopefully all will be well and you'll have a new pet for many years to come.

Jane10 Fri 07-Oct-16 19:27:47

Awwww the poor little puss probably can't believe his luck being found and cared for by such a kind person. Give him a lovely long pat from me!

tanith Fri 07-Oct-16 19:30:20

How awful poor thing but so lucky he found you. Its amazing he survived what a fighter he must be, well done for all you've done for him. I hope things continue to look up for him..

granjura Fri 07-Oct-16 20:00:41

I imagine we will have to have him castrated too- or he will be fighting the other farm cats around.

Indinana Fri 07-Oct-16 20:09:16

Oh what a truly sad story, but how kind you have been granjura - his guardian angel must have led him to you! I so hope he continues to improve and manages to survive the winter with your help and care. Pauvre Minou sad

Lillie Fri 07-Oct-16 20:53:18

Qu'il vous apporte beaucoup de bonheur!

granjura Fri 07-Oct-16 21:41:36

Merci Lillie.

downtoearth Sat 08-Oct-16 08:41:56

Granjura that is a sad but very heartwarming story....pardon my ignorance is minou a name you have given him or a French description....please tell us how he progresses

whitewave Sat 08-Oct-16 08:47:19

Dear little soul. You have a friend for the rest of his life now! Once he's de-fleed, dewormed and paw heals he'll be a different cat!

granjura Sat 08-Oct-16 08:57:59

Minou is 'the'most popular name for a cat in France.. so not very original. When my neighbour looked after him when we went on hols, she called him 'minouminouminou' when his food was ready- so I did the same and it stuck.

He's had his sachet and a few croquettes- will go out and sit on the kitchen step with a bit of fish and see what happens.

Thanks all for your kind wishes.

nanaK54 Sat 08-Oct-16 09:06:18

Sure with such TLC he will go from strength to strength

Jane10 Sat 08-Oct-16 09:42:58

Any chance of a photo? Or would that frighten him?

elfies Sat 08-Oct-16 09:47:16

bless you for your kindness

granjura Sat 08-Oct-16 09:47:47

Just had a massive cuddle and purring session (only the second one since we started to feed him about 2 months ago- after hand feeding bits of fish. A bit too early for photos as DH would have to do it and it would spook him- perhaps from inside the kitchen in a few days?

granjura Sat 08-Oct-16 11:23:16

As he has been hanging around after his feed and cuddle, on the limestone step outside the kitchen- I put a folded blanket there and he has been staying around all morning - just gone off for a tootle. Hopefully in 2 weeks I will be able to take him to the vet to get an xray and something to get rid of the minor infection in one eye.

Jane10 Sat 08-Oct-16 11:26:49

The slow approach certainly seems to be working! Long may it continue.

granjura Sat 08-Oct-16 12:44:32

He is still curled up on the front step on his new blanket ...

Tegan Sat 08-Oct-16 14:25:11

How lovely. Could you get some chlorampenicol eye drops/cream from a chemist to put on his eye? I think it's only the drops that can be bought over the counter which is a pity as the cream would be better. Cats seem to know where to go when they need help don't they.I'm amazed that he hasn't succumbed to infection with his leg; he's one tough little guy!

granjura Sat 08-Oct-16 14:57:47

Thanks Tegan -fortunately his eye is not too bad. As he has only let me touch him for 2 days- I've got to be patient and take my time- or rather let him take his. If I spook him now it will be much harder. Hopefully another week of patience and bribing with fish and mince, etc- will pay dividends. I'll ask the vet for a late appointment so we can go straight in and not have to wait at all- I'd rather get vet advice and not risk getting it wrong.

I am hooked though- he's got me good an proper.

Jane10 Sat 08-Oct-16 15:10:52

Is there any chance the vet could visit rather than putting Minou through the stress of having to go there via cat carrier/car ?

granjura Sat 08-Oct-16 15:14:00

Now there is a thought- he has been twice to the house- both times to put our doggies to sleep to avoid stress. Expensive business- and he may wish to take x-ray to see if it is best to amputate properly. But it is a good suggestion.