Gransnet forums

Pets

Miniture Schnauzer - Can anyone help please?

(54 Posts)
Bunch Wed 23-Nov-16 19:35:39

Hello All. We have decided we would like a dog and have been looking at various breeds and have come up with a Miniature Schnauzer as a possibility. We are looking for a small, intelligent,loyal and friendly dog who is good with both kids, and other dogs and cats, to join our family. If anyone has experience of owning a Schnauzer or has a Schnauzer now I would be really grateful to know whether you think this breed sounds suitable or not.

granjura Tue 20-Dec-16 18:37:50

As a breeder, I'm sure you are fully aware some breeds have more problems than others though.

Bouviers Bernois are very cute big balls of daft fluff- surprised you didn't have one if you used to breed them. They do need lots of exercise and space- so perhaps the reason.

NanaandGrampy Tue 20-Dec-16 18:56:35

No , head over heart Granjura.

For me they are the perfect dog but as my mobility has got worse it would all fall to Grampy . We decided our next dog would need to be smaller , easier to transport ( no mountains to clear up smile , we had a Cavalier many years ago so it was a good choice.

The most important thing was family friendly .

kittylester Tue 20-Dec-16 19:12:45

Miniature schnauzer are fine too, gj. We have had 2 and have had no problems!

Bassets on the other hand........!

granjura Tue 20-Dec-16 19:19:14

Yes, as they are not 'miniature miniatures- and my favourites- very intelligent.

We are just about to adopt 2 dogs- but they chose us, not us them. Could never ever, personally, buy a dog. They are Danish farmdogs, 1 male, 1 female- a bit like Jack Russels but quite a bit bigger- Hugely intelligent too - from a family in distress, a new baby (+ toddler) and mum not coping at all and depression too- not easy to be away from family support- I remember that so well. Wish us luck.

whitewave Tue 20-Dec-16 20:10:33

Blimey gran how will Minou cope?

granjura Tue 20-Dec-16 20:26:09

Sorry, don't want to hijack this thread, so short reply. It is only intially for 1 month- to give them breathing space.
Our house has 5 distinct sections- and we have put gate between kitchen/utility and lounge- and a gate at bottom of stairs- and we have doors half way down corridors both down and upstairs. Minou will have garanteed dog free space that he spends most of his time at now. Longterm- we will see how it works. I've rented the ex Parish room and kitchen at the back for 24th and 31st unfortunately-but after that, dogs can move in there with their beds on very wide window sills so they can watch out. I'll take them out for 2 bg walks a day- great incentive for my knee- so hopefully they will be calm.

If Minou is really upset - then we will re-assess. Dogs can go back at any time after Xmas when the Danish visitors have gone home and things are quieter again. Thanks.

Jalima Tue 20-Dec-16 20:42:55

hmm Minou sounds as if he used to have to fend for himself and I am presuming he will be able to manage two dogs.

DD's cat was very good at showing their huge dog who was boss (and it wasn't the dog - although he did try to square up to the cat he always came off worst.)

rubylady Wed 21-Dec-16 03:43:18

Bunch Have you been looking at any puppies yet or even bought one? Have a look on Dogs4Us website, read between the lines of the advert though. You can put a search in for distance and money limit. Please let us know when you get one and put pics on. X

Did anyone see Supervet Noel earlier with his little border terrier? She is gorgeous and luckily she was ok, as was the little border who came in with three broken legs, poor thing. It is a favourite of mine that programme, but it does have me holding my breath to see if they make it out of the surgery ok. smile

rubylady Wed 21-Dec-16 04:00:54

Bunch I meant Pets4Homes, not Dogs4Us. X

rubylady Wed 21-Dec-16 04:01:24

I'm now looking at puppies! Don't let me buy one! tchgrin

Anya Wed 21-Dec-16 08:43:40

Do not buy any puppies from the internet, no matter how reputable the website seems to be. They are not properly regulated and this is where the puppy farmers advertise.

There are plenty of healthy puppies out there from reputable breeders and rescue centres needing homes.

Anniebach Wed 21-Dec-16 08:59:48

Please do not buy from the Internet please. If you go into the puppy farms you will see horrors which are impossible to forget

Anya Wed 21-Dec-16 09:26:34

The thing is, these people are very craft, you don't get to see the filthy puppy farms. They often take the puppy into their house or a friend's house and convince buyers it's home bred, making an excuse for the absence of the mother (she's out for a walk, or at the vet with an infection, etc)

The ones investigated were being sold from a bungalow in a reputable area but the day before had been caged in a filthy barn about a mile away.

People aren't stupid. They wouldn't buy from a dirty, puppy farm. They are lured in by these websites. Some of the puppies pictured on them aren't even in this country,

My daughter, an intelligent teacher, nearly got lured in this way so it can happen to anyone.

Do not buy puppies off the internet

Anniebach Wed 21-Dec-16 09:32:28

Anya, I did not say people would go to a puppy farm and buy a puppy,

Anya Wed 21-Dec-16 09:34:49

No I know you didn't Annie

I meant members of the public in general.

Anya Wed 21-Dec-16 09:35:50

But I could understand the feeling of wanting to rescue a puppy from that horror.

Anniebach Wed 21-Dec-16 09:46:31

When I went in them Anya it was the bitches which I wanted to rescue, the puppies would be in those places two months approx - two months too long - the bitches untill thry died of exhaustion/ infection/shot

granjura Wed 21-Dec-16 20:18:19

Watch Watchdog now - all about the popularity of miniature dogs, and about the 'so called' proper breeders and the disgusting trade in them - from puppy farms mascarading as registered breeders sad so so sad and tragic.

kittylester Wed 21-Dec-16 20:39:46

Is it just about miniature puppies, gj?

Tizliz Wed 21-Dec-16 20:51:01

Can I suggest www.thekennelclub.org.uk/getting-a-dog-or-puppy/finding-the-right-breeder/assured-breeder-scheme-(information-for-pedigree-puppy-buyers)/

I don't always agree with the Kennel Club but they do check the breeders

Anya Wed 21-Dec-16 20:59:16

Notice the breeder on Watchdog...no puppy mothers to be seen..

granjura Wed 21-Dec-16 21:30:45

Mainly kitty- because this is what people want these days, and where the money is (hence).

Anya Wed 21-Dec-16 22:19:10

kitty the term 'miniature' is quite misleading. Breeds like miniature schnauzer are not truly miniature in the sense that a miniature yorkie or a chihuahua is truly tiny.

Schnauzers, Lhasas, Bichons, etc are smaller breeds and beagles are medium sized dogs. These are some of the breeds I spotted tonight on Watchdog.

kittylester Thu 22-Dec-16 07:15:07

That was my (not terribly well put!) point. The dogs I saw were not all 'miniaturised' Eg, Beagles, Schnauzers, just smaller breeds. The programme was about bad breeders not 'miniaturised.' per second.

Anya Thu 22-Dec-16 08:31:26

Exactly.