Gransnet forums

Pets

Cat owners

(33 Posts)
ninathenana Sat 20-May-17 13:56:39

Or hoomans owned by cats grin
I've never had the problem with previous cats but Bertie loves to be up high, he will jump up on top of the wall unit (6ft) in the dining room or the mantlepiece which both have ornaments on. We have had to put the plastic spikes on the garden fence as he was jumping from there onto nextdoors conservatory roof and more than once nearly slid off.
I know this is a natural instinct but has anyone found a way to deter their cat from leaping up indoors ? We do say a firm 'no' and clap our hands and he will jump down.

kittylester Sat 20-May-17 14:07:42

Not got a clue, nina. We have beams in the roof of our 'playroom' and one morning woke up to find 2 cats (mum and son) perched up there surveying their Kingdom. shock

f77ms Sat 20-May-17 14:11:36

No ,there is nothing you can do, as you say it is a natural behaviour . I would move the ornaments .

Cherrytree59 Sat 20-May-17 14:14:49

Spikes on your mantelpiece and wall unitgrin

We have inherited my late father's Norwegian forest cats.
They are not allowed in the sitting room as they will literally swing from the chandelier given half a chance.
To them curtains, units, mantelpieces are a pussy cat playground!

PS we don't really have a chandeliersmile

Alima Sat 20-May-17 14:38:53

Two of our current crop of feline house mates like nothing better than a snooze on the top of our kitchen cupboards. Fine by us though it can take you by surprise when they jump down and you hadn't realised they were there. Young Harry also does a daily inspection of the conservatory roof, mostly to check out if the neighbouring cats are about. I know what you mean, the look on their face when they realise the roof is either wet or icy, but so far he has managed a controlled landing via the water butt. I think it is just how Bertie is, likes to check out all his territory. I would move the ornaments nina.

seacliff Sat 20-May-17 14:57:39

I'd remove the ornaments too smile

Wondered if distraction might work. We have a cat tree and they fight about who will sleep on the highest bed. OR

We have a three tunnel toy they love to play and sleep in www.amazon.co.uk/d/Cats/Ancol-703300-Acticat-Play-Tunnel/B00427D3PQ/ref=sr_1_1?s=pet-supplies&ie=UTF8&qid=1495288494&sr=1-1&keywords=ancol;&tag=gransnetforum-21

OR I have heard cats can be trained by clickers - I doubt somehow that it works with cats !
www.bluecross.org.uk/pet-advice/clicker-training-your-pet

ninathenana Sat 20-May-17 14:58:29

Cherrytree grin I could start a new trend in interior decor

shysal Sat 20-May-17 15:20:10

One of my cats does this. A firm 'no' will stop her if I am watching, but she does it at other times. She likes the top of the wardrobes and dusts them for me smile, also clumsily climbs the dresser shelves like a ladder. One day she will break one of my legs when she launches herself off the wardrobe onto the bed at night. I don't think there is a lot you can do except keep your ornaments away.
My other cat is such a lazy old porker that he can only just manage to reach the sofa!

Hopehope Sat 20-May-17 15:28:32

If I were you I would put the cats where you DON'T want them to go ( having moved ornaments first). Cats like to rule and are contrary. If they think they HAVE to go there I bet you they won't do it after a few times.

rosesarered Sat 20-May-17 15:49:24

grinshysal

A lot of cats do this, but not all.We had one that was a bit of a maniac and he more or less lived his life at head height or higher.He would also perch on top of open doors , snooze atop the piano, and sprawl atop any wardrobe.

chocolatepudding Sat 20-May-17 16:11:10

A training film for the staff!

www.youtube.com/watch?v=k0bL9Eje_Dk

ninathenana Sat 20-May-17 16:51:10

Scratching my head as to where to put three photo frames, a clock and an art deco lady grin

grannylyn65 Thu 25-May-17 18:34:33

How do I get down ??

Alima Thu 25-May-17 18:41:07

Is he actually on top of the door? Blimey.

phoenix Thu 25-May-17 18:49:07

Oliver Sprout scared the bejazus out of a local council candidate that I invited in to discuss policies at the last election, by suddenly leaping down from his (at that time) preferred snoozing spot on top of the fridge freezer.

Mind you, this is the cat that had perfected exiting the house via the bedroom window, then jumping onto the bit of sloping roof above the downstairs loo, then onto the roof of next doors camper van, until the day the camper van wasn't there.......confused grin

grannylyn65 Thu 25-May-17 18:55:35

Yes, jumped up from chair back !!!

LadyGracie Thu 25-May-17 19:21:22

I put baking tins round my kitchen work tops when my cat started jumping up, did it for few days, the clatter of them falling onto ceramic floor tiles soon put him off. He hasn't attempted anywhere else. He must be lazy like his owner!

grandtanteJE65 Sun 23-Jul-17 11:13:11

I had a Burmese once that loved the tops of tall cupboards etc. so either you empty the tops of the cupboards of things you don't want pushed off, or you go the other way to work and stack every available inch up there with things that won't get broken.

I'd opt for the first remedy, as knowing cats, if you block off the top of "his" cupboard he will just find another, or another annoying game.

Cats feel safer sleeping on high, quite naturally, as wolves and bears can't get at them up there.

Have you room to give him something he may climb? That might solve the problem.

Come Christmas I seriously suggest you tether the Christmas tree with guy ropes to two substantial pieces of furniture.

A tall old wooden step ladder was a constant source of delight to our cats when we lived in a flat. Now they have a garden full of trees, so they're all right, Jack!

grandtanteJE65 Sun 23-Jul-17 11:15:36

Same way you got up, stooped, JUMP!

Kilpeder868 Mon 07-Aug-17 04:56:29

There is very little you can do with cats that jump and like to be up high. I have a cross bred Siamese who often prefers to sleep on the top of doors. My advice would be to ignore it and learn to live with it. He is built more like a kangaroo with the longest legs ever. He exits and enters the house through the upstairs bedroom window. I was always concerned that he would not be able to get back in. It is amazing to watch effort less!!!

Miep1 Mon 07-Aug-17 11:44:48

Our current cats are sulking, due to the influx of three kittens...two are on top of the kitchen cupboards, one on the boiler, one between the doubleglazing, one under the garden table and one on the shed roof. The 3 kittens, aged 6 weeks,9 weeks and three months are disported variously on my bed, on top of the lounge bookshelf (don't know how she got there) and atop my wardrobe. Still, it makea a change from wearing them round my neck!

Primrose65 Mon 07-Aug-17 13:08:55

Mine are great climbers. I found the easiest thing to do was give them their own door climber - you hang it over the back of a door and they can climb up. It can look a bit strange with a cat peering over the top of a door but mine love it and it's stopped all the bookcase shenanigans.

shysal Mon 07-Aug-17 13:47:01

My Bengal cat loves to be up high. She dusts the top of the wardrobes for me. I had a photo of her up there with her leg in plaster, but can't locate it. How she managed that I don't know!

Primrose65 Mon 07-Aug-17 13:51:35

Shysal I have bengals too!

shysal Mon 07-Aug-17 14:21:29

Lucky you, Primrose. They are full of character aren't they? My 3 are pictured on my profile, but sadly down to only one now.