Gransnet forums

Pets

New breeds of dog

(41 Posts)
Teetime Mon 24-Jul-17 08:49:39

It seems to me that dog ownership is very popular at the moment particularly with young families. Almost all the young families in my road have a new puppy of various kinds but Cockapoos seem to be most popular. I went to my daughter's yesterday and she has a Golden Retriever puppy who is delightful and she is making many new friends particularly at the dog friendly pub nearby. We were stopped on the way back from the pub several times by dog-families but one in particular rather took me back. It was something called a Jack-a-Poo a cross between a Jack Russell and a miniature poodle. I thought it very odd. Is it me - what does anyone else think?

shysal Mon 24-Jul-17 09:14:24

There are so many of these new cross breeds around, and they cost more than the pedigrees! Some are cute and others are just wrong!
www.slice.ca/breaktime/photos/the-cutest-mixed-breed-dogs-you-can-get/#!german

annsixty Mon 24-Jul-17 09:41:39

My D has a six month old Cavachon, cavalier King Charles and bichon frise cross . He is adorable . But... I would rather have a proper dog or a real mongrel than a designer dog.

Izzywizzy Mon 24-Jul-17 09:47:48

Teetime I too saw a Jack-a-Poo yesterday . I thought it was some sort of 'Poo' but was very surprised to hear it was a Jack Russel. He was well behaved and looked nothing like a Jack Russel.

Teetime Mon 24-Jul-17 09:54:56

The one I saw was ugly, yappy, uncontrolled and I've seen bigger rats! Not nice.

Tea and cake Mon 24-Jul-17 09:57:19

I have seen a 'jug' recent, a pug cross Jack Russell. Much better for breathing with longer nose and pug body. Owner said it had JR temperament!

henetha Mon 24-Jul-17 10:21:11

Some of these cross breeds are lovely. My brother has a goldendoodle (Golden retriever/Poodle) and she is gorgeous and has a nice temperament. My son has a Shi-poo (Shi Tzu - not sure how to spell that/Poodle), and again a very cute looking dog with a lovely nature.
I agree that some crosses are strange looking. I saw one in Cornwall last week which looked decidedly odd. The owner said it was a cocker spaniel and a poodle.

NanaandGrampy Mon 24-Jul-17 10:40:19

I love dogs and have been involved with them in all sorts of ways all my life .

I'm old school I guess because I think if a dog is a cross breed it's a mongrel. This whole designer ...something a poo is a bad choice. The results of this cross breed can result in the worst of both breeds . I'm sure there are some perfectly nice something-a-poos but I believe it's building up trouble for the future of dogs.

Just my opinion of course .

Tea and cake Mon 24-Jul-17 11:00:18

I've been lucky enough to have owned some wonderful dogs (multi dog household) both pedigree and mongrels. The mongrels seemed to be healthier, requiring fewer vet visits. What concerns me is the craze for dogs, e.g pugs and French Bulldogs which are now everywhere. Such an opening for the unscrupulous to make a fast buck. And what's with German Shepherds, every year their back legs get more and more exaggerated? A cross breed is just that until generations down the line but people are asking crazy prices for all sorts of mixes. However I know a couple of cockerpoos and labradoodles and they are lovely dogs.

gillybob Mon 24-Jul-17 11:18:30

What do you call a cross between a Bull Terrier and a Shih-tzu?

Christinefrance Mon 24-Jul-17 11:23:26

Nice one Gillybob I agree with N& G about this mixed breeding, licence to print money in some cases. Meanwhile there are so many dogs languishing in rescue centres.

glammanana Mon 24-Jul-17 11:24:57

We have fostered dogs many times over the years (not now though) and I worry about the time when the craze wears off these designer dogs and the shelters are full of dogs people have got fed up with,most of the crosses need grooming often and people tire of this and the cost it incurs lets wait and see what happens in a couple of years when a new "breed type" becomes popular and dogs are being abandoned .

phoenix Mon 24-Jul-17 11:44:30

I had the pleasure of meeting s lovely little dog recently, called Billy. He was a cross between a Shih-tzu and a Jack Russell, which of course made a him a .........

NanaandGrampy Mon 24-Jul-17 11:47:30

a shitzel????? Phoenix smile

Olene Mon 24-Jul-17 12:18:28

We have a mix of a chihuahua and west highland terrier. She's called a Chestie I believe. We have no concern at all what breed she is.
She was a present from our family to DH and me.
Now, she's not the prettiest thing ever, she's brindle (which I've discovered isn't very popular) and some people have no problem telling us how ugly she is!!!
But.....she has the most lovely temperament and is a total joy.
To us she's just gorgeous.

Anniebach Mon 24-Jul-17 13:43:12

There seems to be no thought for the bitches mated with dogs not of the same breed. I hope the chihuahua was the dog not the bitch

oldgoat Mon 24-Jul-17 13:48:07

N&G Why do you think that cross breeding is building up trouble for the future of dogs? Surely it's better to have a mixture of genes than in-breeding to produce pedigree varieties. Many pedigree dogs have unhealthy features, for example Cavalier King Charles which often die young from inherited heart disease.

hildajenniJ Mon 24-Jul-17 13:52:46

While out walking one day in bluebell woods, I met a gentleman with two sandy coloured, very bouncy dogs. Not recognising the breed I asked the chap what they were. Golden doodles was his answer. Golden retriever/poodle crosses. They were delightful, but a bit of a handful. I expected that they would settle down as they were still youngsters.

Olene Mon 24-Jul-17 15:20:28

Anniebach
We have no idea. She was a rescue puppy. About to be put down as no one wanted her.

phoenix Mon 24-Jul-17 17:22:38

NanaandGrampy not exactly, in fact, not all all[ grin]

He was a dear little chap, ginger and white, had been found by a student on the road, miles from anywhere, had a collar, but no tag.

Young Noel (as he is always called) was worried that he might be run over, so brought him back with him.

He spent a comfortable night with Noel in his yurt, and when I got into work, was stretched out in the upper workshop in a patch of sunshine!

I thought someone must be missing him, so set to contacting police stations and vets.

One vet said "we have a report of a black cockerpoo missing"

As this dog didn't match the description in any way, (cute, but sort of resembling a burst cushion, and with a very "interesting" dental arrangement blush ) I was unable to help.

However the second call, bingo!

Result, one happy owner, who had been dreading telling her son at Uni that Billy was missing, but quite a sad young Noel who had become quite attached to the little chap!

Anya Mon 24-Jul-17 19:39:57

A cross breed is NOT a mongrel. A cross breed is a cross between two recognised breeds. A mongrel is a dog whose ancestry is a hotchpot of different breeds that can only be guessed at.

Anya Mon 24-Jul-17 19:42:19

oldgoat you talk sense

Iam64 Mon 24-Jul-17 20:34:05

Anya is correct, a cross breed is a cross between two recognised breeds. So, the poodle crosses are not mongrels.
It's true to say it's possible to achieve the worst, or the best, of both breeds. I dislike the term designer dog because it's always used in a derogatory, negative way.
If you want a poodle cross, buy from a registered breeder. See both parents, ask for certificates to ensure both parents and other ancestors have been tested for any health problems known to occur in the breed. Never buy from the internet.

I have two poodle crosses. They are great companions and look like Disney designed them. They are intelligent, sensitive and need a lot of training and mental stimulation if you're to get the best out of your dogs.

ive always shared my life with dogs and I've found my poodle crosses a challenge. Very rewarding and I've learned a lot. I don't think many are suitable for people who never had dogs before, whose prime motivation is the attractive look and all the myths about non shedding, easy to train, petfect for small children.
I'm more concerned about the number of French bull dogs, pugs, most of whom can't give birth naturally, German shepherds with back problems i.e. Over bred pedigrees.
Too many dogs needing rehoming because the owners didn't research properly.

phoenix Mon 24-Jul-17 22:20:33

One of my best dogs was a rescue, cross between a spaniel and a collie (before there were names for such crosses).

Fortunately, she had the best qualities of each breed, could have been a real problem otherwise!

NanaandGrampy Mon 24-Jul-17 22:28:09

I believe that most gene pools for specific breeds are large enough to allow for breeding out of genetic issues Iam.

When I was breeding I had all the pedigrees for that breed available and the hip scores for each stud and bitch . That meant I was able to choose matings where genetic issues were minimised.

Good breeders do this.

The majority of home breeders who are mating 2 pets for these new designer breeds don't do this .it's all about the money sadly .