Gransnet forums

Pets

Rescue cat

(26 Posts)
Franbern Sun 27-Aug-17 10:13:29

After living for the past 14 years without pets, I am now at home a great deal and thought it was time to have a companion. As I still go away a reasonable amount for long weekends (usually visiting my children), and have limited mobility, did not think a dog the best answer and settled for a rescue cat.
After having my house and me checked out, I was 'passed' and collected her last Thursday. She is 5-6 years old, and all I have been told about her previous owner is that she was an old lady who had dementia and then died. It was her son who took the cat to the rescue centre.
I think she is settling in well - is eating and using the litter tray. She has obviously not been permitted to go onto armchairs or settees, but will not use the cat bed I bought for her.
Be so pleased when I can let her out into the garden, but that will not be for a good few weeks.
I would appreciate any advice from people used to settling in rescue cats as to how I can help her. She hates being picked up - does not mind being stroked gently, but seems very nervous at any noise.

devongirl Sun 27-Aug-17 10:26:26

All I can offer is basically, let her come to you, make sure she has a quiet place to retreat too - a room 'of her own', or a cat igloo. When she feels confident, she will apptoach you.

Good luck, she will enrich your life flowers

Charleygirl Sun 27-Aug-17 10:31:48

When the time comes to allow her into the garden, make sure she has not eaten, you want her going out just before she expects food. If she has a full tum she may wish to explore and not come back for ages.

Once she gains confidence she will approach you and before you know it she will be running the house. Enjoy her.

ninathenana Sun 27-Aug-17 10:49:30

We got a 3 yr old rescue cat in April. For the first couple of weeks we basically ignored him apart from feeding of course. He took up residence behind the sofa only really appearing to eat and use the tray. One day he jumped on H's lap and that was it, we are now his slaves. He knows 3pm is when he gets his dreamies treats, and 6pm is dinner time, and will come and tell you. He dosen't like to be picked up either but will follow us around the garden like a dog and loves fuss. Let your cat decide when it's ready to take over grin

Jane10 Sun 27-Aug-17 11:01:12

Absolutely agree. Tincture of time required. The poor puss must feel so lost and confused. In a few weeks she'll be quietly devoted to you and will show this in her own way. Well done you for doing this - you won't regret it!

LadyGracie Sun 27-Aug-17 11:32:27

How lovely, she'll soon have you wrapped around her paws, I agree with everyone else's advice, feed her and nurture her and soon she'll love you, they are such devoted animals, our little tom cat doted on DH till he was 13 but has now spread the love and seems to love me as much. Such adorable and faithful creatures.

Imperfect27 Sun 27-Aug-17 12:21:35

So glad for you Franbern. We have had 2 rescue cats and were mindful for each of them of a 'past history' that seemed to effect behaviours for a time - about six months in each case - as they settled in. I think, once you have gained her trust, she will likely be a very devoted pet. As she has 'lost' an owner before, she may find it upsetting when you go away. Will someone else come in and feed her? My cats have both noticeably given me the 'cold shoulder' for an evening when we have returned from sustained absences, but less and less so over time.

Wishing you much joy.

Imperfect27 Sun 27-Aug-17 12:25:57

effect / affect grrrr ....

glammanana Sun 27-Aug-17 12:47:46

How wonderful for you both to have found each other,she is used to a quiet household with having an elderly owner previously so it will take time for her to come to you but when she does it is the most amazing feeling,we have had a few rescue cats and they all find their own way within the household and special places to sleep.My Oliver has just started going out in the garden 8 weeks after our house move he had always been a house cat,he never strays far from the back door and keeps running in every so often to check we are still here for him,so take it slow and enjoy her she will be your best friend in no time at all.

Charleygirl Sun 27-Aug-17 13:43:05

Tara also does not like to be picked up but loves to lie on the well covered arm of my armchair being stroked my me.

She goes out all day, returns home around 8pm for a bite to eat and use the litter tray and then retires to her bed. She has taken over a single bed in the 3rd bedroom.

After I go to bed, I will be lying there reading my book when I have company and Tara wants cuddles. She will lie there happily snoozing until I switch off the light and she retires to "her" bedroom.

Do cover your chairs because once she realises she is staying she may decide to sharpen her claws on the chairs.

She needs somewhere else as well as her cat bed, which she finds comfortable to while away the daylight hours dozing.

HildaW Sun 27-Aug-17 13:43:36

We have always had rescue cats and the last brother and sister pair we had took the longest to settle. As other posters have mentioned its all about letting the cat come to you.......one cat we had practically lived behind the sofa for the first three years!
Can remember a documentary about how cats sense the world and they are basically bombarded by a sensory overload all the time. As they become used to their environments they tune a lot out and just register the new stuff. So its all about familiarity and letting the cat make the moves.....no matter how long it takes its such a thrill when they truly begin to trust and begin to seek our your company. Have a lovely life with her.

MiniMouse Sun 27-Aug-17 14:01:14

She may like a cardboard box as her sanctuary. Ours loves hers even though it's over two years old now and has definitely seen better days! (the box, not the cat!)

Franbern Sun 27-Aug-17 14:34:06

Many thanks for all the very useful advice. I am very aware that this animal was taken from the home she knew, and then spent nearly two weeks at the rescue centre, before being collected and brought to me. She must be so very confused. She spends a great deal of her time on my lounge bay windowcill, behind the curtains. This is warm and sunny and she obviously feels safe there.
The only problem I have had is with her claw sharpening. I have a special box for that, but she has been trying to use either my lounge rug, or the settee. I say NO, sharply each time, but then feel dreadful at telling her off at all in these early days.
When I am away, I have a 14-year old, cat-owning, g.daughter who lives less than a mile away and she will be coming in to feed her. She was with me when I collected her.
I have put some toys out for her (the cat) which she has totally ignored.
She will wander over to sniff my fingers and lets me stroke her a little. I know it is very early days, but I am appreciative of all the advice. Also, that for when she is allowed out, as I am sure it will be quite a tense time for me. Thanks for the top about that happening before a normal feed time.

Primrose65 Sun 27-Aug-17 15:00:26

My cat really enjoys sharpening her claws on a cheap coir doormat, she finds it quite irresistible. Mine never did well with 'no' for the furniture and it may be she's used to using furniture as a scratching post. You can get a tape that's slightly sticky to put where she's scratching - it feels yucky on their paws and they stop scratching there. You may find that's a quick and guilt free solution. I'm sure it will be less of a problem when she's out and about in the garden too - nothing beats a tree trunk for a good stretch and scratch grin

Charleygirl Sun 27-Aug-17 15:13:40

I bought a lovely scratching post for my cat when she came to live here and the minx walked around it.

I say the word NO to my cat and put one finger up and she does seem to listen, mainly because I am not doing it too often.

She is in a lovely sunny spot but she will need somewhere comfortable for maybe cold winter days. Would you not consider protecting one soft squishy chair?

You will soon find out if her tummy rules her life- my cat does not bother too much about food so I cannot use food to entice her to do something.

Have you worked out what you will do if she decides to bring mum home some half dead presents? Mine has decided (thankfully) not to bother any more.

Are you going to have a cat flap fitted? She should really stay indoors at night. Have you got a local vet and is she registered there yet?

SueDonim Sun 27-Aug-17 15:23:23

We have two rescue cats, they're brothers. I think, as everyone says, your new companion just needs peace and quiet to do her own thing. Carrying Dreamies with you will ensure you have a friend for life!

One suggestion is to get some Feliway, which is a pheromone that helps cats to settle. It's isn't the cheapest but we found it effective when our boys began a power struggle.

For the sofa scratching, double sided sticky tape on the favoured areas will put her off. I guess you could put some on the rug, too, if you remove it to hoover.

You may need to try different cat scratching posts to get the right one but also encourage her to use it by putting dried cat nip on it.

Enjoy your new friend!

ElaineI Sun 27-Aug-17 19:54:09

My cat plays with things dangling on sticks pulled about and balls but her favourite things are chasing scrunched up pieces of paper, flying leaves in the garden, ribbons and she will not leave presents wrapped with decorative ribbons alone so my presents tend to be plain now!

Franbern Tue 05-Sep-17 11:00:22

Abbie is slowly settling down. I have both a box with the towel we brought from her room in the rescue centre, and a cat igloo. Neither of them are used!! I found a wonderful toy for her at a the cat rescue centre summer fete. It comprises a battery operated box, which has an attachment with a red 'tail' type thing on the end. All, except this tail covered by a cloth. Can be set to different speeds and the tail goes round and round at random. She cannot resist it, even if she is asleep, she wakes and rushes over to it. So enjoys chasing this tail, and catches it so often. At least it gives her some good exercise until she can go outside in a few weeks time.
I am having cat flaps fitted for her.
I did have a concern about her bringing pressies for me during the night. I always like to sleep with bedroom door wide open, so that I can be aware of anything going in the house. At present I have put a pet gate across that doorway, but she has not actually ventured up stairs at all at present. She comes to me to be stroked when I am sitting down. I am a little concerned as to the way she always flinches if I have anything at all in my hand and am near her.
It is only twelve days she has been here. Will probably get upset with me on Thursday when I have to take her to have an injection and that will involve the cat box and the car again.
Must say how much I am enjoying having her here. Lovely to have something else alive to talk to.
Many thanks to you all who have sent me support and good tips.

SueDonim Tue 05-Sep-17 14:33:31

Ah, that sounds lovely! I'm glad she's settling in. The flinching might simply because she's still a bit nervous. Or some cats just don't like to have anything near their head.

I got a cat dancer for my cats and it's the best toy ever, for them! It's very simple, a length of wire and some cardboard. www.amazon.co.uk/Cat-Dancer-93419100010-Toy/dp/B0006N9I68?tag=gransnetforum-21 You can get it cheaper elsewhere but you have to pay for delivery.

Anya Tue 05-Sep-17 14:52:51

Lovely to read the progress you are making with her.

LadyGracie Tue 05-Sep-17 19:04:41

She sounds lovely, she'll soon be your best friend and hopefully warm your lap in the colder weather, keep us up to date with how you and she are doing smile

phoenix Tue 05-Sep-17 19:38:30

When Digby arrived from Cat's Protection he spent the first few days in the downstairs loo (of his choice, I don't mean we shut him in there!) despite the dear departed Maurice trying to reassure him that everything would be fine.

Oliver Sprout, on the other hand (1 year old, also from CP) came out of the cat basket and was immediately "at home", rubbing round the door frames and chair legs, exploring his new home with all the confidence in the world!

He was most put out that Digby didn't want to be his chum at first, and felt that hissing and spitting was the way to deal with the young upstart. They are now good friends.

Every cat is different, but most get there in the end!

Enjoy your new companion.

phoenix Tue 05-Sep-17 19:49:08

After a few weeks, Oliver Sprout managed to achieve his ambition of cuddling up with Digby, it was done by stealth and I'm not entirely sure that Digby appreciated being used as a futon! grin

SueDonim Tue 05-Sep-17 19:53:18

Hahaha, Phoenix! Can Digby even breath?? grin

phoenix Tue 05-Sep-17 19:58:04

Their cuddling up is now more "normal" Sue! Oliver Sprout no longer seems to feel the need to actually lie on Digby!

Not sure how clear it is from the photo, but O.S is lying crossways across Digby.