Gransnet forums

Pets

Should i feel annoyed with my veterinary clinic!!

(72 Posts)
nathanjame Tue 29-May-18 03:41:13

My beautiful boy got hit by a car last Monday at midnight. I took him to the vets Tuesday, and back again on Wednesday and they did nothing at all for him they just said he looks fine, his tail has abit of swelling but here's some painkillers.

They said to bring him again next Tuesday 29th May and we'll check him again.

I feel like they should have xrayed him there and then...he looked fine but you never know after being hit by a car.

anyway come Friday morning I found him covered in blood so I rushed him back to the vets..He was in so much pain, they then decided to xray him and said his bladder had ruptured and also has a broken tail and it's broken at the top of his spine so all his nerves have been damaged.

They said there wasn't much they could do and said the kindest thing to do is to put him to sleep. So sadly I lost my baby on the 25th May.

I feel so hurt by my vets. I trusted them to do the best by my boy. I feel as though they should have xrayed him on Tuesday when I first took him to the vet, and I did mention this to them and they said even if we xrayed on tuesday it wouldn't of made a difference, the outcome would still be the same.
I feel like my boy would still be here if it wasn't for them. He was only 1 year and 1 month old. I've now lost my best friend.

travelsafar Tue 29-May-18 06:32:29

Oh my word how sad this is, I really feel for you flowers

OldMeg Tue 29-May-18 06:38:03

I’m guessing this was your cat nathanjame?

Jane10 Tue 29-May-18 06:57:07

That's awful. Your poor, poor cat. flowers

Sparklefizz Tue 29-May-18 07:04:24

The vet is a disgrace, nathanjame and my heart goes out to you as I know what a big void our much-loved pets leave in our lives. So so sad for you and for your lovely cat.
My beautiful boy cat aged only 18 months was also hit by a car 2 years ago and he didn't have a mark on him, but my vet was brilliant. He was kept in the vet hospital for 8 days and they did everything they could for him. Very sadly he caught an infection and I had to make that horrible decision. Cats are very brave and stoic and sometimes it's hard to tell if they're in pain, but your poor baby could have been made much more comfortable from his first visit. I would complain.
flowers for you and a big hug.

joemaxster2018 Tue 29-May-18 07:05:26

Oh that’s terrible, I feel so sad for you and your lovely pet. It does sound like the vets could have been more thorough at the first visit.

Sparklefizz Tue 29-May-18 07:06:55

I forgot to say that my cat had massive internal injuries despite not having a mark on him. Only scans and X rays will show that. Your boy should have had them nathanjame

BlueBelle Tue 29-May-18 07:37:36

What a terrible shame this must be so distressing for you
Have you used and trusted this vet before ?
Why do you think they were so inattentive because normally vets do more than necessary as they are being paid well for each test visit etc
They are probably right nothing could have been done but he would have had three days without so much pain
I think a formal written complaint is needed
In answer to your title question i m sure you are feeling let down, heart broken and actually angry and yes way more than annoyed

merlotgran Tue 29-May-18 07:45:12

Was your cat insured? This can often influence the vet's immediate decision making. He or she might have been trying to spare you unnecessary expense which sadly was the wrong decision but there have been many threads on here about greedy vets racking up the costs.

Sorry you have had a heartbreaking time and yes, I would definitely complain.

sodapop Tue 29-May-18 08:10:33

So sorry to hear about your cat nathanjame you will miss him I know,.
I agree the vet should have been more thorough in his examination. I don't agree that the vet was trying to spare expense as he could have asked you this before proceeding.
When you have another pet change your vet. flowers

Menopaws Tue 29-May-18 08:46:11

Regardless of the same outcome they put you and your cat through a distressing time and that is not good at all, I would def complain

Eloethan Tue 29-May-18 09:18:05

I'm so sorry to hear of the loss of your dear pet.

I too think your vet provided very shoddy treatment and you should write a letter of complaint.

TwiceAsNice Tue 29-May-18 09:26:07

So sorry for you I love my daughters cats to bits and they are not even mine. I think you should definitely complain to the vets even if your poor cat couldn't have been treated he shouldn't have had to endure the pain you couldn't have known about.

Willow500 Tue 29-May-18 09:59:01

I'm so sorry - it's awful to think they could have helped him when it happened - he must have been in so much pain poor boy. I also think you should complain - regardless of what the outcome would have been he should not have had to suffer like that. You must be in bits flowers

CazB Tue 29-May-18 09:59:23

I totally agree with all of the above. I am so sorry for your loss, I lost two beloved cats this way and know how you must feel.

luluaugust Tue 29-May-18 10:04:31

I am so sorry, we didn't lose our beloved cats this way but we know other who have, thinking of you.

Alexa Tue 29-May-18 10:04:41

It's very sad for you Nathanjane.
I think that it may well be true that the ruptured bladder was lethal anyway.

In any case I think that you are due an explanation sufficient to satisfy you. If the vet did wrong you are due at least an abject apology.
Was the cat insured? If so the insurers may be interested in whether or not the treatment received was appropriate.

123coco Tue 29-May-18 10:05:14

So lucky so far 2 dogs and 3 cats so far all lived very very long lives Now down to last cat ,19 yrs old, renal failure but shes still going ,a real trouper. Am bed bound so shes on me all time. She hasnt gone yet but I cry sometimes because I know she hasnt got long left and I have no idea how I will cope !! Won't be fair to get another pet! Non pet people have no idea of how they are our family. Totally unconditional love on both sides. I’m so sorry you and your beautiful boy were put through this unnecessarily. No doubt I feel they were negligent and I would write them a letter telling them you think they missed a chance to save this cat. I feel for you and I think you should be angry with them!

ginny Tue 29-May-18 10:07:45

Sorry for the loss of your loved cat.
I think you should definitely speak to the vet for and explanation.

Pebbles77 Tue 29-May-18 10:08:24

I’m so sorry for your tragic loss ... I think whenever a vet announces the “kindest way “ we just can’t accept it . No matter what .. when our dog was dianosed with Leukaemia 13 years ago ... I just thought they had it wrong ...
I just couldn’t accept it at all ... they said they could keep him alive but he would just be “ a
Lump” .. the vet has a tricky job .. I couldn’t do it ... we “shoot the messenger ... :” 0( ... I’m so sorry you feel that more could have been done ...please don’t feel guilty .. you did all you could .. look after yourself .. you’ve had a terrible trauma .. any animal owner will understand your complete devastation and distress :0(
yes they should have made him more comfortable .... I hope your grief eases some in the weeks to follow and happier memories come forward to you ... allow yourself to try and process what has happened and maybe think about writing your complaint ... you are stressed enough at the moment ... one day at a time
... sending a cyber ((( hug ))))

ExaltedWombat Tue 29-May-18 10:10:50

The injuries were there on day one. Could they have mended them then? Look on it as him having a few extra days of life before the bad pain started.

craftynan Tue 29-May-18 10:14:58

So very sorry, pets are such an important, loving part of our families flowers

LadyGracie Tue 29-May-18 10:19:13

I'm so sorry, I know exactly how you feel, it's devastating. In your shoes I wouldn't be happy about the lack of investigation by your vet either. Kind thoughts and good wishes flowers

AdeleJay Tue 29-May-18 10:21:28

The vet could at least have suggested an X-ray or scan. I would have thought it was standard procedure. I hate the thought of all the pain your cat suffered. Comfort yourself that you gave your cat a wonderful life. Many pets aren’t so lucky.

And yes, when you can, do complain at the veterinary practice.

icanhandthemback Tue 29-May-18 10:21:57

Our vets have a reviewal process when an animal dies or has to be put to sleep to see if anything could have been done better. There is also a veterinary body who you can go to if you feel that things should have been done better and if you don't get a better answer than the one you have so far.

It is bad enough losing a beloved friend without feeling that it could have been avoided. We lost my daughter's cat because she was raw fed so they were convinced it must have been that which was causing a problem. Consequently we lost valuable time whilst they did unnecessary tests so the blood transfusion he desperately needed wasn't an option until it was too late.

I am so sorry for your loss. Hopefully, in time, the good memories will overshadow the circumstances now. flowers