Gransnet forums

Pets

Pup’s Progress

(32 Posts)
watermeadow Sat 02-Jun-18 19:54:52

I’ve had little pup for two months and she’s been everything I expected - pooing, weeing, biting, scratching, chewing, wouldn’t walk on a lead etc.
Then a week ago she suddenly decided to be angelically good. Tells me when she needs to go out, no wees or poos indoors, started enjoying her walks, does everything she’s told to do. I can’t believe the change and am enjoying the calm before the horrors of adolescence, which are due in about two more month’s time.
Good little pup sleeping sweetly on my lap zzzzzzz,!

glammanana Sun 03-Jun-18 12:55:15

Watermeadow How lovely for you keep up the training and she will most likely not change her ways at all she must be very contented and feel as though she has fallen on all four paws coming into your home.
My Poppy is a rescue Lhasa and she is very content now she was very nervous when she first came here 4 yrs ago now she rules the house but every now and then has a mad hour where she runs and sends the cat into hiding,but not too often now.

midgey Sun 03-Jun-18 13:31:58

The Cinamon Trust is the charity that will look after pets after their own has died, as a poster has said they will organise walkers as well.

nellgwin Sun 03-Jun-18 16:42:29

Ours is a small rescue dog who has lived with us for two years and the vet estimates is four years old. It's believed she was a street dog and was in a Terrable condition when rescued.
It has taken two years for her to fully trust us and she is clearly my dog and just tolerates my husband, she is terrified of other dogs and when on the lead will walk on her hind legs and hop across the zebra crossing much to the amusement of car drivers, she constantly looks for other dogs and becomes hysterical if she sees any and snaps at grass and occasionally my poor husband's leg and I always know when that happens by the foul language that greets me when the front door opens.
In doors she is a loving dog who gives us so much laughter and love, although she will still occasionally make a bed of my clothes in the warddrobe and this morning left a large puddle on my kitchen carpet.We haven't a garden and are looking for a small bungalow with garden so that she can have the garden to run around and we can spare her the trauma of being taken out and my husband's leg ?
Our friends say we're mad but we love her and we took on the responsibility of her care and we will try and give her a safe and happy life.

Happysexagenarian Sun 03-Jun-18 21:33:26

Watermeadow Congratulations on coping so well with your pup's first few months, she sounds delightful. Or pup is now 9 months old and at the stroppy adolescent stage - answering back, arguing, snapping and growling, barking at anything that moves, and digging up the garden. But as I write this he is laying at my feet snoring! He's totally devoted to DH and follows him everywhere even into the shower! His latest 'game' is to charge full pelt down the length of the garden and hurl himself at us for us to catch him - 44lbs of dog canoning into you is no joke especially when you're carrying a cup of tea! Enjoy every moment (good and not so good) of your little pup, don't forget to take lots of photos, they grow up so quickly.

yellowcanary Sun 03-Jun-18 21:55:32

My sister's dog is 14 but if you had seen him last night you would have thought he is more like 14 months smile I've had him for a week as they have been away - they came and picked him up last night, my nephew (12 nearly 13) came in first and when Taz saw him he was so excited, racing around like a hooligan (the dog I mean not my nephew). More life than he's shown all week!!!

He was a rescue dog about 6/7 years ago after being taken away from his original owners along with a couple of others because of cruelty, my dad's lady friend had him, then my dad "inherited" him after she died as her family didn't want him, about a year later Dad had to into hospital so my sister had him - temporarily she thought - but after Dad came out several weeks later he couldn't cope so she kept him and he is still loving life with them two years later.

Even though he has had several homes since being rescued we have all known him for the 6/7 years so it isn't as if he has had to get used to new people all the time.

Judlespoo Tue 05-Jun-18 09:53:13

We have a 7 month old Cockerchon, she's housetrained now and uses a cage at night. A bit giddy when we have visitors or meet someone when out walking. But she's just coming to the end of her first season and it's been awful. Wanting to go out several times in an hour, moping round, accidents indoors, not eating and whimpering. Don't know whether to get her done to prevent more of this.